Do you remember your teacher's names?

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was thinking about this, I remember a few........

Kindergarten: Mom died that year, I blocked most stuff out

1st: Can't remember

2nd: Can't remember

3rd: Mrs. Ellenbecker - a mean old lady that was good with a ruler. She made me cry when she made me write with my right hand, even though i was left handed. Mom set her straight.

4th: Mrs. Kasobowski - she made Mrs. Ellenbecker look like Mother Theresa :)nonono:)

5th: Mr. Vnuk - he went back to school to finish after quitting school to join the MARINE CORPS. He was the first teacher that ever threw me up against my locker when I smarted off to him. My dad thought he was the greatest teacher ever.......:rolleyes:

6th: Mrs. Bachman - my first crush. A petite 20 something teacher that looked like Pat Benetar, I was in love.

7th: Mr. Gall - an old guy with a fake hand and arm. His hand would keep coming apart and throwing springs everywhere, and we had to crawl around and find all the parts to it.........:LOL::LOL:

Oh, man, talk about stirring up the cobwebs. Here goes...

Kindergarten: Mrs. Bischoff - motherly type :D
1st - Sr Scholastica - 6' tall drill Sgt in a habit. Verbally terrorized us kids. :nonono:
2nd - Miss McQuade - nice but odd :rolleyes:
3rd - ? no recall
4th - ? no recall
5th - Mrs Weigand - highly intelligent, very motherly widow
6th - Mrs Connelly - another braniac, but just like your best friend's Mom
7th - Sr Mary Ellen something - eccentric and hard of hearing. We tormented her. :angel:
8th - Mrs Donovan - the real terror. She never appreciated my sense of humor, but couldn't ping me cuz I was a straight A+ student. :LOL:

OK.
So I got to ask. Did mom set your third grade teacher straight from the grave? I figure it was a new mom or step mom, but it did cause me to think.

In response to the thread I can remember about 5. Most of them were a pain in the *ss!

From my earliest years the most memorable for me was my grade 1 teacher, Mrs Bunny. Who could forget a name like that?

OK.
So I got to ask. Did mom set your third grade teacher straight from the grave? I figure it was a new mom or step mom, but it did cause me to think. !

Sorry, stepmom. Unfortunately, it was one of the few things she did for me that could be construed as nice........:(

1. Kindergarten. Mrs. Gustafson. (grandmotherly) I spent the entire Kindergarten year painting.
2. First grade: Mrs. Knuti. (scary and her English left much to be desired) I learned the art of the daydream.
3. Second Grade: Mrs. Benko. Very nice woman. Read to us a lot. Stomped puff balls in the school yard with us kids.
4. Third Grade: Mrs. Montgomery. Another nice woman. When Bonnie Salo told on me for calling her a boob, Mrs. Montgomery laughed.
5. Fourth grade: Mrs. Luippakka. Nothing stands out about her.
6. Fifth grade: Mrs. Nynas. She let me and Steven Bushey have our own class within a class, where we read different stuff and did different work. Remember SRA? Steven and I did the whole grade school SRA stuff by the beginning of 5th grade so Mrs Nynas tried to find us new and interesting things to do. One of the best teachers I have ever had.
7. Sixth grade: Mrs. Kronnemen. After the wonders of Mrs. Nynas, Mrs. Kronnemen basically said "you think you are so smart, but you are just lazy and got away with not doing the work other kids have to do" and made my life miserable for a year. Had to redo SRA. My mother died that year and she said that I couldn't be using it as an excuse. No more straight As and special work. She was the worst teacher I ever had. I remember day in a day out details of many injustices and just plain nastyness. We had one slow kid who took a while to get his books out of his desk. I remember her slamming the top of his desk on his head. Poor kid. Lots of tears from lots of kids that year. She went away the next year. One day I went to see the gradeschool principal (Mrs. Pigman, no less) and said I wanted to be in the other class (we had two sixth grade classes). She said I couldn't because my cousin and I shouldn't be in the same class (huh? I never knew what that was about). She said she believed that I could stick it out. Gee thanks. School was never the same for me again and I checked out mentally.

Hey, how did this turn into a rant?

I liked all my grade school teachers, especially 1st grade Miss Davis who really gave extra encouragement.

I was never able to get straight A's, though. The academic areas were easy, but I usually got C's in citizenship, where I got dinged for wandering off by myself or just staying in the classroom reading during recess.

K- Mrs Chatterton the Superintendents wife (he was a friend of my dad) 60's gray hair and super sweetie
1-Out of school for 3 months with pnuemonia and whooping cough (folks could not afford hospital and I got to watch the late show at night), Mrs Schutt nice lady whose hubby owned the only nursery in 3 towns
2-Mrs Rich boring middle age old lady
3-Mrs Larson nasty woman who drove a Carmenghia
4-Mrs Huff middle aged sweetheart who had NO classroom control and really long fu-manchu red fingernails
5-Mrs Huff moved up with me
6-Miss Mable Mead who had rhuematic fever as a young woman and in her sixties was still wearing her 1st wig! She was mean to me all year until the Iowa Basic results came back and she found out I was reading at the 2nd year college level.

Memorable Jr High and High School included Mr Hiram ? who looked like Ichabod Crane, John Green who was a DEAF music/band teacher, Bill Wheeler shop & Ag classes proverbial nice man, Chad Root a young man with the worlds worst breath. Was close with my High School principal John Swain. He laughed when I cut school with Sherry Cook a kinda neat (in a geeky way) friend who was 2 years older than me. The day after she turned 21 he had divorced his wife of 30 years and married her. He was out of a job! They promptly had a set of twins and she was blind by 30 from some eye disease.

Small town and graduated with 46 others in 72. I left the one traffic light town and have only been back a few times in the past 37 years. Good home and family (even if somewhat poor), just no opportunities in a tiny town with way too much social drama for me!

I remember all their names from K-6. Our 3rd grade teacher quit mid-year and we had a new teacher, which I recall as quite stressful. ("Why did she leave us? Why didn't she say goodbye?") . My 6th grade teacher was the best teacher I ever had--She played piano well, was tall, attractive, and no-nonsense (favorite tactic--sneak up behind, grab a troublemaker by the ear and drag him/her up to the front row for some direct supervision. Somehow this was never seen as mean, we all got a laugh out of it, including the "victim." When a much larger person has hold of your ear, you are going to follow. Today I'm sure she'd be up on charges).

I had good elementary school teachers.

I remember a few of my Junior HS and HS teachers, but not many.

The only teacher I remember pre-highschool was my 5th grade teacher Mrs. Doverspike. I'm only 29 so I don't have to think back as many years as most of you yet I still only remember one name before 9th grade. I guess that's why I failed most of my tests, no memory.

I also remember my fifth grade teacher, easy one for some reason: Miss Witt who married the seventh grade teacher, Mr. Smilie.:)

Strange I can remember my kindergarten,1st,2nd grade teachers. The rest are kinda fuzzy.

I still have trouble with tying shoe lacing. The spouse said it was because I do it backwards. I don't understand. They won't stay tied. :(
Are you a left hander living in a right handed world like me? I remember having trouble with the shoelace thing also.
I had to use scissors upside down and write with my hand crooked way around and above the paper to avoid smearing the ink from the cartridge refill fountain pens we had to use.

I only remember the best and the worst, and the most dramatic. One of my teachers was a Shakespearean actress in her spare time. It was so weird to watch her on stage as Desdemona in Othello and to have her teaching English verbs the next day. That was the kind of thing we did in primary school......

I have Martha's experience without the Midwestern names. Also a leftie, of course. And I checked out (mentally) of school very, very early. Hated every single minute of it. Maybe one decent teacher, in 4th grade. I also have the distinction of going to 9 schools in 12 years: never got kicked out, and only moved once. Just roamed around from public to private to public and back, never really found my niche.

Gee, FD, thanks for reminding me how maladjusted I am. Ugh!

Remember SRA?
A colorful box with stiff card stock reading materials that you completed by yourself? Gradually increasing difficulty? I loved that program as a kid. I thought the materials that were included were really interesting and well written, I looked forward to every one. I hope today's kids have something similar.

I don't remember any teachers name before Jr. High and not many of those or High School teachers.

Back
Top Bottom