Do you remember your teacher's names?

A colorful box with stiff card stock reading materials that you completed by yourself? Gradually increasing difficulty? I loved that program as a kid. I thought the materials that were included were really interesting and well written, I looked forward to every one. I hope today's kids have something similar.

Yes! I loved it.

Are you a left hander living in a right handed world like me? I remember having trouble with the shoelace thing also.
I had to use scissors upside down and write with my hand crooked way around and above the paper to avoid smearing the ink from the cartridge refill fountain pens we had to use.

I'm right handed but sometimes I think that I am "no" handed. I just am not very coordinated. Handwriting was my killer in grade school.

1. Mrs. Todd
  2. Mrs. Hill
  3. Mrs. Shelton
  4. Mrs. Johnson
  5. Mrs. Moore
  6. Mrs. Herald
Skipped kindergarten...

K: Mrs. Lane
1: Mrs. Durning
2: Mrs. Morrisey
3: Mrs. Tuttle
4: Mrs. Tuttle (AGAIN :rolleyes: - - she wanted to teach 4th grade. I called her "Mrs. Turtle".)
5: Mrs. Himmler
6: Mrs. Marshall
7: different teachers for each class in 7th grade on, and I remember all of them.

It helps that I am 60 years old. The more years, the closer to one's second childhood.

Last edited:
I remember all my teachers.

Kindergarten: What's that?
Grades 1 and 2: Mrs. Taillon
Grades 3,4 and 5: Mrs. Black
Grades 6,7 and 8: Mr. Black (husband of above)

I also remember the names of all 11 kids in grade 1 with me and all 8 who finished grade 8 with me. It's easy since I started in a one room school and moved to a 2 room school in grade 3. Grades 5 and 8 were incredibly boring as this was my 3rd year listening to the same teacher repeat the same stuff.

Went to Catholic school. Nuns taught all through elementary school. Not much fun! High school was great. One year I, and all my buddies, took typing because the teacher had a real "rack". Somehow the guys always got the keys jammed up and she had to come over, bend over the typewriter and undo everything. Don't know how anyone passed that class. Priest came in every day for a little religion class in the morning. We had an old saying that we had religion every day and twice on Tuesdays and that was because we had a nun teaching Algebra on Tuesday. Hell, I can't remember anybodys names!! I can't remember what I had for dinner.

I only remember a few
K- Miss Morgan - she was our neighbor
1&2 - Sister Damien
th
grade - Sr. Miriam Delora - she could scare anybody into learning Latin . She would seat us according to our grade and then as luck would have it she also taught Chemistry . I used to carry a one and two hole stopper in my pocket for lab so I'd have the right one .I saw her years later when my sister ( who is a nun ) made her vows just seeing Sr. Miriam gave me the shakes .

That reminds me of Sister Conleth (Connie) who taught fifth grade. She was a wonderful teacher but had very high expectations and her fame had spread all the way to the first grade, so I had four years to worry. Luckily I was a good student and escaped most of her wrath. :angel:

Many years later she came to my father's funeral and we had a good laugh about it. She didn't terrify me any more!

K: Mrs. Hill

1st: Mrs. Johnson

2nd: Mrs. Dawson

3rd: Mrs. Hausauer

4th: Mrs. Dumas

5th: Mrs. Conry and Mr. Yurdana

6th: Mrs. Moorhead

QED.

The only teacher I remember pre-highschool was my 5th grade teacher Mrs. Doverspike. I'm only 29 so I don't have to think back as many years as most of you yet I still only remember one name before 9th grade. I guess that's why I failed most of my tests, no memory.

Don't worry, as you are with me. In fact, I don't remember a single teacher name. I don't know how these other people can. I can still vaguely remember some experiences or classroom scenes from those elemetary school years, but that's all. I don't do much better with high school years.

The windmills of my mind have been worn down to a nub. They are spinning with tattered sails... I feel like posting another gloomy song in French, but I shall resist.

...One year I, and all my buddies, took typing because the teacher had a real "rack". Somehow the guys always got the keys jammed up and she had to come over, bend over the typewriter and undo everything. Don't know how anyone passed that class...
Your story of high school boys enamored with a lady teacher reminded me of my days as a subsititute teacher. I used to substitute on an occasion call-in basis when I first graduated from college. I was called in to do 6 weeks of full time for 9th grade Algebra and General Math to replace a teacher out for surgery. I dressed in a way that I thought was conservative to try to look older than my age of 21. Yeah right. :rolleyes:
I entered the HS and was looking for the homeroom class I was assigned to. This macho senior boy walked right up to me and introduced himself and asked me if I was going to the dance Sat. He was obviously looking to "claim the new girl" for a date.
You should have seen his face when I told him I was a sub teacher. :LOL:
I told him we could make a deal - this conversation never happened as far as I was concerned if he would show me where the classroom was. Turns out he was in my homeroom. This kid introduced me and said they better be cool and listen to me. He was my best ally and did everything he could to help out.
What a character he was. :cool: A natural leader who is probably a company president now.

More than anything I remember Miss Crystal who was an old maid schoolteacher and always ultra-strict and dour. Went totally batsh*t crazy and ended up in a mental hospital. Serves her right for teaching math to Jr. highers. While in school, tho, she was hall monitor and everyone was terrified of her.
Teachers always "liked" me, but I was Miss Hill's pet in 2nd and 3rd grade; and the English teacher's favorite in my Sr. year of high school, but why I still don't know.
Warm memories...compared to the phys. ed. teacher thru Jr. high who wasn't so keen on me and accused me of things I never did...the old cow was just plain mean to some of us (verified by my 8th grade best girlfriend on a recent trip here who she also was mean to for no reason). You win some, you lose some.

VERY small community - we even had combined classes, and our 8th grade graduating class had a whopping 13 students!
K- Mrs. Knapp - very strict!
1st - Mrs. Meltzer (we held out hands out just in case her dentures flew out while she was teaching! - that's all I learned in 1st grade!)
2nd/3rd - Mrs. Reines - I got busted stealing Anna's bean sprouts since mine did not sprout & she had 2 sprouts (Anna said I could, but Mrs. R had a problem with it)
4th/5th - Mr. Rasmussen - had grody cheerio breath (now I know he drank his coffee blond & sweet - barf!)
6th - Mr. Lockhart - he had braces, a beard, and played Christmas music on his accordian - yes, we had to sing!
7th - Mrs. Tibbetts - she was the mother of 5 of my childhood babysitters
8th - Mr. Hyatt - also our school principal - had a great laugh

High school:
Mrs. Darrah - Algebra, Geometry, Trig (old with crazy frizzy red hair and polyester pant suits - graded TOUGH - one of my favorite teachers)
Coach Wahl - Frosh health/driver's ed, physiology - always in polyester coaching shorts - FB coach too
Mrs. Long - shorthand, computer stuff, yearbook - polyester suits competing with Mrs. Darrah - also wore skirts - high pitched voice, old lady pin curls
Mrs. Coyner - physics, pre-calc - replaced Mrs. Darrah - looked all of hot 17 herself - all the guys adored her
Mr. Wolcott - history/civics, chemistry - looked like Abe Lincoln, also coached girls basketball, I blew up a test tube full of acid all over me - spent rest of 3rd period in shower.
Miss Yee - art classes, Spanish - nothing like a tiny little 2nd generation Chinese woman teaching Spanish!
Mrs. Owens - English, also the speech coach (no class - just extra-curr speech contests I made good $$$ from!) straight laced larger black female from Louisiana teaching in little East Nicholaus High School
Mrs. Tucker - History, Lit & Comp - funky younger grandma type - tough grader...lots of good life advice from her
Mr. Pride - Animal Science - OMG - what a dweeb!
Mr. Strauss - typing - we thought he was snorting cocaine with all his sniffling & wiping off his brow!

Guess we had some interesting folks for teachers! LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom