What do you eat for lunch?

bluecrab

Confused about dryer sheets
Now that I am FIRED(June 12) I've got a serious question: What do I eat for lunch?:D
Every school day I lugged a yogurt cup and fruit to work for lunch. No more yogurt!!!
What do you eat for lunch? I'm not a sandwich eater. I'm looking for low fat, some fiber, and no meat. Have any ideas?
So far(2 days) retirement is a blast!
Thanks for helping with this pressing concern.:)

Salad of course, or do planned overs of roasted veggies which are quite tasty with planned over brown rice or dig out the blender and get creative with smoothies. There is always the home made soups which have been frozen into smaller quantities. Another option is to enjoy a healthy brunch a bit later and skip the lunch stuff and just hold till dinner. It cuts down on kp duty to only prep and clean for 2 meals a day!

I vary my lunch depending on how I feel . One of my favorites is flame grilled boca burgers or black bean soup .

Usually leftovers -- and they taste great.

Lean Cuisine or leftovers (I'm still working)...

Yesterday. I had a turkey sandwich on wheat bread. Along with cauliflower and radishes. Just varies.

Eat edamame if you are looking for fiber and non animal protein.

I like chicken noodle or tomato soup. I eat a lot of cereal with fruit and I enjoy salads as well. Today, I think I'm gonna make sone cranberry pancakes...yum...:)

I often have a pbj sandwich for lunch (the ultimate lbym lunch), but you're looking for non-sandwich ideas. A cheese-veggie omelet?

Since retiring almost four years ago I usually eat a late breakfast and forgo lunch and have a nice dinner around five or six. I have maintained the same body weight thanks to exercise, and eating right.

Since I am working I have different choices. But on days I am not in the mines, we tend to do one of several things:

- Leftovers
- Ploughman's Lunch: hunk of cheese, some decent bread, something pickled (pickled onions, chutney, pickles, kim chee, Branston Pickle, etc.), and lots of fresh veggies. Half pint of bitter optional.
- Pot beans: most weekends I will make a pound or more or beans according to the recipe given by these guys: Rancho Gordo, Napa CALIF: New World Specialty Food You can use the fancy beans they sell (which are fantabulous), or whatever you find on the shelf at the supermarket. The for lunch during the week heat up a bowl in the microwave and add some chopped onion, tomato, cheese, hot sauce, nopales or whatever other goodies you have on hand. Obviously at $5 a pound plus shipping, the rancho gordo beans are a luxury, but you can usually get a pound of almost any kind of bean at the supermarket for a buck.

Every school day I lugged a yogurt cup and fruit to work for lunch. No more yogurt!!!

Are you what you eat?

I think you need to go a little wild if you are going to enjoy ER.
Go to the supermarket and walk around - choose a food isle - any isle. Choose an item you never ate even it is not a traditional item for lunch.
Have you ever tried sardines in mustard sauce? Go wild and try it.

Vegetable omelet, salad, nuked potato with some cheese and vegetable topping, homemade soup I've frozen in serving size containers, fresh vegetables and cheese or boiled egg with a drizzle of olive oil

We try eat a decent sized lunch and a light dinner. Today I BBQ'd some chicken in the early afternoon. For dinner it would be salad or something else light. If we decide to go out to eat, it's usually for lunch (lunch menus are cheaper and lighter), then again, something like a salad for dinner. Personally, I like to go to bed on a light stomach, not a full one.

Lunch is soup or salad, depending on the season. Leftover rice or pasta mixed with salad ingredients (lots of colored ones) with a thin, soy based herbal dressing in warm weather. Add flavored crackers (not chips) and some diced meat and cheese if my weight is okay that day.

In the winter, a measured cup of rice and vegetables, stew, or chili with 12+ oz. of added water to make a big bowl of lower calorie soup.

We keep pasta and brown rice cooked ahead, same as the sandwich crowd watches their bread supply.

Dessert is seasonal fruit with flavored yogurt or a squirt of chocolate syrup.

To those who responded with actual lunch menu ideas - did you wonder if this post was a cry for help or possibly something else?

This is how I read it.

Now that I am FIRED(June 12) I've got a serious question: What do I eat for lunch?:D

Routine = comfort and security (probably not good for ER)

What do you eat for lunch? I'm not a sandwich eater. I'm looking for low fat, some fiber, and no meat. Have any ideas?

Restrictions = doesn't like to try new things

So far(2 days) retirement is a blast!

Most notably - If a blast; would lunch be such an issue after 2 days?

Thanks for helping with this pressing concern.:)

"pressing" = something else?

When you have time to make yourself a decent, fresh, healthy lunch you should have an unlimited selection.

I could create a different lunch menu each day of the year so that I would never eat the same lunch twice. I happen to like certain lunched and do not mind have the same thing every few days, but there are so many selections to chose from that sometimes it's hard to decide which to make.

During the summer months I could eat a tomato salad daily from freshly picked tomatoes from my garden. I never get tired of eating tomatoes. Alongside my salad, I will grill some fresh fish, chicken, or beef.

When I don't make a salad, I'll make a soup. Kale, lentil, minestrone are my three favorite soups.

Try something new once in a while to keep it interesting. The other I made quail "al mattone." They were delicious.

Here in Spain we eat the same as when we worked. Bear in mind that we have more time for lunch than you and most of us have lunch at home. Maybe less, as we are getting older:) and fatter:blush:

It varies depending on what's in the refrigerator. Usually I have some grilled marinated chicken, chopped up and put that into a salad or rice. Or a nuked potato, or fry some eggs or make an omelet with chopped ham, diced onions, green peppers, or anything else that might seem good.

Or just a can of tuna if I'm lazy.

Thanks, everyone for your ideas. I'm just looking for some interesting lunch ideas.
Hadn't thought about eating a later breakfast and an earlier dinner. I eat at 5 now so that might work.
And Dex, I lugged a yougurt and fruit to work everyday because I was too tired and lazy to think of something else. Now I'm ready to expand my horizons!!
And yes, this is a 'pressing' concern. LOL

Um..usually I slice up a banana and smother it with fruit flavored yogurt. :whistle:
Barring that possibility for you...:LOL:
Other things I munch on versus doing a formal lunch "prep and sit" are cheese and crackers, big bowl of grapes, pretzels dipped in nacho cheese sauce, "Heidi food" (toasted cheese on open face bread or sub roll), leftover homemade pizza, plain rice with a little butter/salt/pepper, cottage cheese. I wait until I am good and hungry and have a few small portions over the course of the day.
I eat my mail meal du jour with dh2b at night, before 6 PM.

Lunch

I still work so normally I pack a sandwich, salad, or yogurt plus a piece of fresh fruit. I am off today for Flag Day, so I am eating some leftover brown rice and sliced flank steak from Saturday's dinner along with a side of kimchi. I am preparing a meatloaf later and will steam more brown rice for dinner today so I will have something cooked after work for a day or two. Already washed spring mix lettuces are a great thing to have around, too, as you can top with tuna, bean salad, chopped veggies, leftover salads, hard boiled eggs, etc. Whatever you have around.

Back
Top Bottom