A few things I learned at ER.org

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
I could never list them all, but a few came to mind for me today.

FIREcalc and SWR first and foremost. It was my first exposure to how you might figure out how much you need to retire. (Actually, I didn't learn about FIREcalc here, I found out about FIREcalc and then got a link from there to this site). Thanks Dory!

The public library. It seems so silly that I never thought of getting books from the library, but I didn't. When I started here I was spending thousands of dollars a year for books. I didn't realize libraries now let you check catalogs online and reserve books and just pick them up. Nords, you saved me a lot of money.

Credit card cash back/Pen Fed CDs. Pen Fed was all the talk when I first started here, they paid more on CDs than anybody. Thanks Wab! Hope you check in again sometime.

Health insurance information. When I started here my first question related to the issue of health insurance when I retired. I learned about the excellent website from Georgetown University, Health Insurance and Coverage Help for Consumers Everywhere and from there I started learning more than I ever expected about health insurance. The site was down for a number of months when they ran out of funding but it is back and a great source for finding out your insurance options in your own state. Thanks Bob Smith (IIRC) for Health Insurance and Coverage Help for Consumers Everywhere.

List? I need a volume or two or three...

The biggest thing I learned here is I always need to learn more. And admitting that is the first step to getting smarter.

Thanks, everyone. :flowers:

I learned that this is, hands down, the best Forum on the Internet... in all categories.

I learned about cougars and why asparagus makes my pee stink.

One thing I have appreciated though is the FAQ section specially the health care list.

among other things

It is unprecedented (in the pre-WWW days) that an individual can have instant access to 4000 or so of his "close friends" for advice on almost anything. It can really keep you out of trouble (and rarely, vice versa).

For all I've learned here (and I've learned a lot), I think I value even more the sounding board reactions and sanity checks that we lend to one anothers posts. A close runner up is the humor here, its own brand I might add.

I'm glad to be here.

5 years ago this month I registered here but have been reading the forum for much longer. I figure another 20 or 30 years and I'll know everything I need to know. I'm a slow learner but I catch on at some point.

I've learned I was not as open-minded as I thought. Different ages and backgrounds here have taught me a great deal about thinking outside the box.

Thanks to all....:greetings10:

I´ve learned that you Americans are different -for the better- to the stereotype that TV shows and movies portray.
And that you -members- are a witty sort.
I´m certainly glad to have found this Forum.

I really liked all the hand holding and "Koom-by-ah" during the recession, especially last October. It kept me steady and resolute when panic was knocking on the door.

I don't think I'd be as comfortable about DH and me being RE'd today had I not been reading these boards since 2006. And I still learn something everyday on them.

I wouldn't have made my decision on April 17 to retire in July without all the great information I've assimilated from this site. (It was the best decision I've ever made.)

Thanks everyone.

I wish I'd found this forum BEFORE I retired. I woulda had a little more money and a lot more confidence.

I have learned that there are folks as frugal/cheap as I am and not ashamed of it; others who enjoy solitude; others who like eating gizzards...

I wish I'd found this forum BEFORE I retired. I woulda had a little more money and a lot more confidence.

Amen to that! But I did learn a lot about bacon...and dryer sheets...and the many uses for bubble wrap!!

Couldn't have started the book without you guys, and I definitely couldn't have finished it without you. Thanks again.

I've also learned to be nearly immune to trolling, both online and in real life...

Too many tips and tricks to count. Cutting paper towel rolls in half to save money. Rolling a 401K into the TSP after retirement from the gumint. Asset allocation done 10 different ways.

It's great to get other opinions before making a decision. I usually learn a new, better possible course of action. Even if I don't, there's value in knowing I haven't overlooked anything important.

I learned that when it comes to knowledge of economics, I'm still in kindergarten :duh:

I mean really! There are some very highly educated and/or well read people on this forum. Sometimes the discussions are way over my head, but eventually someone comes along and helps make it more understandable.

I agree that this was a place of refuge during the big market dive. The humor and "we're all in this together" atmosphere kept me from doing something stupid in the dark days of last winter. Thanks all.

Why bunnies with pancakes on their heads matter...

How the heck to interpret FIRECalc.

A reasonable level of moderation can help an online community thrive, and help everyone get along. (Thanks, moderators!)

101 fun things to do with a GPS box...

The most important things I have learned:
- Make your bets on asset classes not fund managers
- Invest in low cost index funds
- Everbank for currency diversification
- LBYM
- Most importantly, this site is full of amazing people who are extremely smart, listen and learn.
- Everything I ever needed to know about Cougars and that Rich was a [-]cougar tamer[/-] cabana boy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom