Free Cell Service

crazy connie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It appears that if you meet guidelines for low income, you too need a cell phone from the taxpayers.

.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPublic/program_info.aspx

Last edited:
That link didn't work for me, but this one does.

I want my M T V!

If this is a government supplied phone, I wonder if it is asking too much that government law enforcement, correctional, and public safety agencies should be able to know where it is all the time. Without a warrant. The technology is there and easy to implement. No intrusions on privacy--no one has to take this phone.

Samclem I hadn't even thought about that! I just infuriates me at the thought of my tax dollars being spent on cell phones for others. I remember party lines and a walk to the store to use the pay phone. Now our poor folks have debit cards for food stamps, housing subsidy, utility subsidy, transportation subsidy, cell phones and more discretionery income than many working folks who have their pride. Maybe if Sheriff Joe was in charge of the cell phones he would do a round up!

There is a lot being said about this issue so Let me google that for you.

For example:
TracFone Wireless Launches SafeLink Wireless to Aid 309,825 Low-Income Households in West Virginia
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) created the Lifeline program in 1984 and worked to update the service after the crises of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, as well as the tragedy of September 11th. At the dawn of the 21st century, modern universal telephone service is necessary not only to ensure that the U.S. maintains a rapid, efficient, nationwide communications network, it is important for the purpose of national defense and to promote safety of life and property. By approving the SafeLink Wireless program, the FCC took action to enhance its Lifeline program and keep the right to communicate in pace with technology.

(I am pleased you started this thread.)

the FCC took action to enhance its Lifeline program and keep the right to communicate in pace with technology.
I wonder where this "right to communicate" (with anyone, via cell phone at someone else's expense) came from. "Free" health care, free cell phones . . . there must be entire pages of the Constitution that I didn't see.

I wonder where this "right to communicate" (with anyone, via cell phone at someone else's expense) came from. "Free" health care, free cell phones . . . there must be entire pages of the Constitution that I didn't see.

Yup, I a agree with you Samclem. I ought to check to see where the broadband connection and free computer is in the constitution. The tax paying class gets to provide their own but it seems that these items are being classed as so essential to life that we may soon provide them for free to society at large. I guess that was a mistake to my way of thinking that the library was a means to be connected. After all, many of us remember the days of old where your work and pay your bills or do without.

What's really cool is that within just a year or so it's expected that less than 50% of all Americans will pay any tax. Think I may go looking for the gravy train to jump on!

Last edited:

Yeah, this is the same [-]law [/-]right that requires utility service be provided to the McMansion in the wilderness and that all services should be equal to the town with population of 2 as it is to those living in NYC. (Note all those "extras" on your phone bill, for example.) Democracy in full bloom.

This is good news. Looks like MIL will qualify and I can stop providing a prepaid phone for her. (DW and I got it for her for safety reasons, she's 84.)

Having a MIL that is living on about $12.5k SS has been an educational and informative experience. From helping her stretch out her savings to finding govt and charity sponsored programs she can take advantage of, it keeps you on your toes and always looking for deals like this.

So far, so good. She's depleted almost all savings and now has a reverse mortgage on her condo which takes care of association fees and property taxes (reduced for being elderly and low income). Medicare payments are reduced through a state program. Automoble registration is reduced. She attends many senior events such as dinners, entertainment, etc., sponsored by local organizations for free or extremely low cost. She lives in a nice (but small) condo unit in a great neighborhood, drives a decent car and, to anyone looking from the outside, would not seem to be living so close to the edge.

Now she should be getting free cell service. I'll have DW help her with the forms this weekend.

Anyone know of any deals like this for cable TV?

In Wisconsin, which I am familiar with, it is only 60 minutes a month, so you don't get much. The organization I volunteer with got some people lined up with these phones so they could have a call back number for job searches.

Last edited:
I am going to look into this for an elderly Aunt of mine. She worked all her life cleaning other people's houses and never made much money. Late husband left her nothing but debt and she is trying to make due on SS, medicare and what little she could save. Oh yes, and the assistance of family. Thanks for posting this.

I posted this originally as we have had so many discussions on cell services. For a senior who still gets out and about I agree a cell is a big safety tool. An hour or so a month is a good thing if it can not be afforded. We also have a subsidized land line phone service for the truly poor. That is better value and also a good thing. I hope that this helps a few of our friends and relatives out. For the most part here it is something we are not eligible for. We have finances and can afford the modest fees if we want. I have not heard of a single forum member who only accesses this BB from the Libraries. I still find it irksome that folks expect Uncle Sam to provide necessities and luxuries. Many of the consumers of Social Services are doing so by choices they have made in the past and will continue to make in the future. I am not attempting to project a Holier than Thou attitude, rather lamenting a loss of personal responsibility.

If it helps poor and/or homeless people land a job (by having a phone to search for openings and a call-back number to set up interviews, etc.), so that they can become productive, tax paying citizens, I would consider it a good use of my tax money.

It might be a good cause for a charity. Collect voluntary contributions to help provide cell phones for people who need them. Lots of people would contribute. Maybe it will help some poor people get jobs. But to take (by force) the property of some Americans to provide what many still consider to be a luxury? For a purpose not defined in the Constitution? (How far will we stretch the"welfare" clause in the Constitution? It's time for a SCOTUS revisit of Helvering vs Davis in light of what has happened since 1937, and what is about to happen.)

Im all for this! So exactly where do you draw the line for giving people things they have not earned at the expense of others hard work :)

I have found that I am much happier if I simply count the blessings that I enjoy in my own life and don't worry about whether someone else gets something they haven't "earned".

That is great. I'm a bit happier when people stop sticking their hands in my pockets for something that they didn't work for. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This safelinkwireless program is kept very quiet. I have never heard of it, and I work in government in PA. I entered my zip code, and it is definitely a viable program here. I have read that cellphones can be donated to county aging offices mandated by the lottery to administer services to people 60+, but these phones are reprogrammed to dial 911 only. Why not just provide medically vulnerable individuals with a first responder system for free instead?

Turns out no ones hand is in anyone's pocket.

The Obama Phone? | FactCheck.org

It turn out the government's hand IS in our pockets. Where does the money for this "free" phone come from? Here's what the USAC website says:

In the past, only long distance companies made contributions to support the federal Universal Service Fund. In 1996, Congress passed a law that expanded the types of companies contributing to the Universal Service Fund.
Currently, all telecommunications companies that provide service between states, including long distance companies, local telephone companies, wireless telephone companies, paging companies, and payphone providers, are required to contribute to the federal Universal Service Fund. Carriers providing international services also must contribute to the Universal Service Fund.
Telecommunications companies pay contributions into one central fund. USAC makes payments from this central fund to support the four Universal Service Fund programs.

So, if you have any type of telephone you pay a mandatory tax (required by the government). It is on your phone bill. I suppose we could say that "we" aren't being taxed, it is the phone companies, but that's as dumb and transparently incorrect as saying that individuals only pay less than 8% SS tax, because "the employer pays the other half." The employee pays both halves.

Not so fast.
From Factcheck:
"SafeLink is run by a subsidiary of América Móvil, the world’s fourth largest wireless company in terms of subscribers, but it is not paid for directly by the company. Nor is it paid for with "tax payer money," as the e-mail claims. Rather, it is funded through the Universal Service Fund, which is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company, an independent, not-for-profit corporation set up by the Federal Communications Commission. The USF is sustained by contributions from telecommunications companies such as "long distance companies, local telephone companies, wireless telephone companies, paging companies, and payphone providers." The companies often charge customers to fund their contributions in the form of a universal service fee you might see on your monthly phone bill."

The Feds did not tell the phone company to put the bite on their customers to fund their contributions to this fund. That was a business decision, but then where else would the companies get the money.

We could go back and forth on this but that risks getting all "Soapboxie" and I am not going there so this is all I will post on this subject.

So, imagine that I prefer not to contribute to this cellphone give-away. If I stop paying the Universal Service Fee on my phone bill, will the company stop billing me. No. So this is a tax that I must pay.

Or are you claiming that I am voluntarily paying for this because I choose to have a phone, and can stop contributing by making the alternative choice and not having a phone. This is not very practical for me. It's still a tax.

Back
Top Bottom