Do you have a car emergency kit?

Do you Have a Car Emergency Kit?

• Nothing at all. I'll take my chances.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • My emergency kit is my cell phone and roadside assistance.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • My emergency kit is my cell phone and I call someone else

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Yes. My phone and I carry some stuff..but not a designated kit.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • Yes. I ready to rock'n'roll. Totally prepared

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Though I do belong to AAA and have called them a few times before, I'm thinking I really should have an emergency kit in my car, just in case. As I read up on this, I've found out that many folks do not carry an emergency kit, and for those that do, what they carry along varies.

So, do you have one in your car? If you do have a car emergency, what do you do?

I have some stuff (battery jumper, blanket and shovel in winter), but nothing I really designate at my "emergency car kit." Just my cell phone and AAA membership.

Here's a couple of links I found worth more investigating :D:

How to Create an Emergency Car Kit | eHow.com

Car Emergency Kit

(The second link has a downloadable pdf that has a comprehensive list to work from. Though I ask, do I really need all that stuff? :blush: and it would take up most of my trunk).

Gerber multitool. Swiss army pocket knife. Jumper cables. 12v air compressor for tires. In winter, a coat or blanket in trunk. Pen. A few bucks in change/cash. Toilet paper (for true emergencies). Car owner's manual (for troubleshooting). Cell phone and charger. Bottle of water.

My emergency kit consists of jumper cables, a leatherman tool and a roll of toilet paper.

My biggest "emergency" is typically running out of juice on some electronic item or other. So I have an inverter in the car, which lets me run any 110/220v item at up to 150W right off the cigarette lighter socket.

Paper clips, plastic explosives and 100 foot bungee cord.

I have a wool blanket in the winter to use while i'm waiting for AAA. I almost never travel more than 30 miles away from friends and family so someone would help me if needed.

I don't go very far in the winter, but do carry boots blanket extra warm stuff.

I almost never travel more than 30 miles away....
Mine is never more than about five miles away at this time of my life. The worst thing that may happen if my DW decides to leave her car at wo*k (2 miles away) due to snow (I have the SUV - and I'm retired so there is no place to go in bad weather :LOL: )...

We don't take day trips (my DW hates to be on the road) although we do travel often (via air; and we have a car drive us to the airport, about 75 miles away)...

Needless to say, we don't drive much...

I've got a small kit. Jumper cables, flashlight, duct tape, hose clamps, a knife and some pliers, a can of fix-a-flat, a small bottle of water, a few bucks in quarters, and an adjustable "emergency belt" that will let the car run for awhile until a proper belt can be purchased.

Snowshovel, cell phone, CAA card.

Cell phone, jumper cables, empty red gas can to get gas in, a flare that was a gift from my son, some plastic bags that just happen to be filled with dried fruit and nuts lately in the car and a small item I bought specifically to break my window quickly (or yours) if I need to use it when the car goes into a river. I was a Girl Scout, obviously, and am prepared.:whistle: But, frankly, I consider AAA preparation enough usually, which I also have cause the son gave a good argument that every single woman should have it. I bought the argument as it made sense.

I've traveled long distances (Houston to Chicago to Phoenix to San Francisco, etc.) by myself (and my son when he was little) quite abit. Once my son learned how to take care of a car, he kinda made me make this travel kit up for my own safety...bless his heart.

I refrained from voting because I don't own a car and seldom travel in one. But I do carry emergency kleenex on public transit for such things as claiming wet seats on rainy days.

I have a complete winter survival kit (blankets, MREs, Dakota heater, shovels, matches, etc) but, it is only in my car from October through April.

When I lived in New Jersey I had a blanket , jumper cables , some kitty liter for traction and a bullet proof vest (only kidding) . Now I have water , extra sunscreen and my cell phone .

Does my husband count as an "emergency kit"? I try to make sure he is in the car if I am going any distance away from home. :D

When I lived in New Jersey I had a blanket , jumper cables , some kitty liter for traction and a bullet proof vest (only kidding) . Now I have water , extra sunscreen and my cell phone .
When we have the car drive us from our (PA) home to the airport in Newark or my wife takes the bus into the city (NYC) for the day, we make sure we have our vests. Too much Sopranos, I guess :LOL: ...

Does my husband count as an "emergency kit"? I try to make sure he is in the car if I am going any distance away from home. :D

Yes. That is why I put down the option of cell phone and call someone other than roadside assistance. I'm sure there are several ("honey, I have a to do for you... :LOL:) when the car breaks down.

Yes. That is why I put down the option of cell phone and call someone other than roadside assistance. I'm sure there are several ("honey, I have a to do for you... :LOL:) when the car breaks down.

I chose this option, although I keep a local phone book in the car so in most cases I could just call for a tow truck or whatever was needed. I keep my car (now my SUV) well maintained, and fortunately the last time I had to call anybody was 12 years ago.

Gerber multitool. Swiss army pocket knife. Jumper cables. 12v air compressor for tires. In winter, a coat or blanket in trunk. Pen. A few bucks in change/cash. Toilet paper (for true emergencies). Car owner's manual (for troubleshooting). Cell phone and charger. Bottle of water.

I've got all this stuff. Plus a pair of earmuffs, gloves, and Yaktracs, a Frisbee for fun or shoveling snow, a few power bars (replaced once/yr or so), a few bungees, and a pint of Jack Daniels. This last item got added after I got stuck on the Beltway in the winter for 6 1/2 hours. People took turns sitting in each others car with the heater on so we didn't all run out of gas. The guy with the pint was EXTREMELY popular. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom