Loser vs Looser

utrecht

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hello,

This is an important announcement from the grammar police.

If you lose the game, you might be a loser. If you have a screw loose and it gets worse, it gets looser.

Lose=Loser
Loose=Looser

Each word continues to have the same number of Os in both forms. Just a pet peeve of mine. Sorry for the interruption. Now back to your regularly scheduled program......

Great. Now can we agree on the proper use of principal and principle? :LOL:

It sounds like "somebody" needs to get a life (IMHO, LOL :LOL: )...

Then again, maybe it's just because I'm retired and don't want, nor further need to worry about word usage on those "useless" reports that I was paid to formulate :facepalm: ...

Last edited:
A fair number of folks out there who quality for both--loser and looser..

.... and sometimes typo is just a typo.

Why use preventative when preventive will do? And why orientated vs oriented? The formers are just pretentious...

Thanks, I feel better.

The grammar (or is it grammer?, just kidding) isn't the tough part for me.

It's things like IMHO, how R U? SIL, DW, DH etc. That's when I need to bring out a cheat-cheat :LOL:

Last edited:
Why use preventative when preventive will do? And why orientated vs oriented? The formers are just pretentious...

Thanks, I feel better.

I read that the extra syllable became common in the US following large influxes of Italian immigrants because that's how it's spelt in Italian. e.g. "obligated" from "obligato" (Italian) rather than "obliged" (Queen's English).

And could we please stop planing and start planning?

Last edited:
Some of my favorites are to, too, and two along with effect and affect.

Averse versus adverse

Advice versus advise

The advice to avoid adverse conditions led them to advise others about being risk averse.

You guys all have great points- and tomorrow the thread titles will be as screwed up as they often are now.

If someone managed to become a millionaire mangling the language, what would make us expect anything to change?

Ha

haha versus LOL!

While we are at it, could we not pronounce the "t" in "often?"
Did I place the "?" correctly? Did I place "correctly" correctly?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom