I'm such a grouch

F4mandolin

Full time employment: Posting here.
I feel like I am in the first Airplane movie ( Airplane! Religion Scene - YouTube ) walking through the airport every time I go to Home Depot, ACE, etc. I need some holy water, machete, maybe even a couple of grenades to get past all the people who insist on helping me. Guess I am getting to be a real grouch......but I will ask someone for help if I need help. I quite often have to tell them more than once that I am fine and just keep walking to get past them. I know this push comes from higher ups.....but are there that many people out there that LIKE this constant pushy effort to help? One of these days at the supermarket when the cashier asks "Did you find everything"....I am going to say "nope....forgot something....just wait here and hold everybody up in line while I go look again". It's too much, and getting worse. :mad:

I'm usually not very grouchy in this manner, but I swear that Home Depot must have issued their employees a challenge this week to ask their customers "Do you need help finding something?" as much as humanly possible. Without exaggeration, I was asked that 10 times during my last visit.

I'm usually not very grouchy in this manner, but I swear that Home Depot must have issued their employees a challenge this week to ask their customers "Do you need help finding something?" as much as humanly possible. Without exaggeration, I was asked that 10 times during my last visit.

Wow, you don't go to the same Home Despot I do. Takes me 10 minutes just to find somebody in an orange apron, then another 10 minutes waiting my turn because the only one I could find is helping at least two other customers.

Best Buy is the worst for this! Even when I know what I want and where it is, and walk purposefully towards it, I get stopped at least a half dozen times on the way to be asked if I need some help. This just make me want to avoid BB or get out of there as fast as possible. I would probably buy more there if I could browse in peace.

Along these lines, I do not know why wait staff at restaurants always have to interrupt our conversations to ask if I want a refill, before refilling my water glass. What would be the negative consequences if they re-filled my glass and I wasn't thirsty? Oh well! I just smile and say, "Yes, please!"

Last edited:
Wow, you don't go to the same Home Despot I do. Takes me 10 minutes just to find somebody in an orange apron, then another 10 minutes waiting my turn because the only one I could find is helping at least two other customers.

I also have trouble finding assistance in Home Depot. and when I do find someone, it is not their department, and they go to find the correct person, but never come back.

Maybe people that don't want to be spoken to by store employees could wear a special hat that would designate them as such.

What's that they say about cats: if you don't like them they make a point of coming around you? Maybe store employees are the same.:)

+1 on this.... and I have even seen a group of people following the guy around waiting their turn.... or someone coming up trying to get the request in before it is their turn...

What would be the negative consequences if they re-filled my glass and I wasn't thirsty? Oh well! I just smile and say, "Yes, please!"

In many parts of the western USA, water on the table is no longer automatic and if a customer wants a glass of water, they need to ask for it. This refill scenario could be an extension of that?

Along these lines, I do not know why wait staff at restaurants always have to interrupt our conversations to ask if I want a refill, before refilling my water glass. What would be the negative consequences if they re-filled my glass and I wasn't thirsty? Oh well! I just smile and say, "Yes, please!"

If they're young, it could be part of being raised in an eco-friendly generation. If I were waiting tables, even if I could only save a couple of gallons a day by making sure the person actually wants it instead of pouring it down the drain, it seems worth it to me. Just a theory, that's why I'd ask :D

In many parts of the western USA, water on the table is no longer automatic and if a customer wants a glass of water, they need to ask for it. This refill scenario could be an extension of that?

It isn't automatic here either, but I ask for it as a SUBSTITUTE for soda, wine, beer, milk, whatever, when they ask me what I would like to drink. I can understand why they ask before refilling a glass of soda, since that costs them something, but water? Give me a break. :rolleyes: Ten gallons of water costs less than a penny, here, so I'd think they could handle an un-requested 8 oz without going into the red. If they want to save money, then don't give me two forks (to wash whether I use them or not) when I only need one, if that, for my sandwich.

Last edited:
Wow, to the OP, if that's the worst headache in your life...

Last edited:
Wow, if that's the worst headache in your life...

It's not that big a deal, you're right - - the restaurant business is so competitive here, that long time New Orleanians get really spoiled! :LOL: Guess it's pretty hard for residents of other places to relate.

It's not that big a deal, you're right - - the restaurant business is so competitive here, that long time New Orleanians get really spoiled! :LOL: Guess it's pretty hard for residents of other places to relate.
Sorry, I was replying to the OP...edit above.

The wait staff in New Orleans should pour water for everyone just to get rid of some of the excess :).

I think many restaurants stopped providing water automatically about 20 years ago as a cost-cutting measure re washing the glasses so it's pretty common to have to request it (it's not so much a function of young eco-conscious wait staff but more of econo-conscious management).

Some stores drive me crazy with chatty staff, and I try to avoid those that obviously are encouraged to cozy us up. DH loves it, on the other hand :).

Last edited:
I recently ate at a middle of the road restaurant where I ordered an entree, followed by dessert. The waitress removed my perfectly good knife, fork and napkin after the entree, only to replace them with a clean set. (She also removed my half empty glass of pop without asking me whether I was finished. I wasn't.) When she came with the bill I asked if she would like some feedback and when she said yes, I pointed out that using two sets of cutlery was wasteful. She replied that it was restaurant policy. I asked her to convey to management that customers might like to be asked whether they needed new cutlery.

I have no problem whatsoever with not being served water automatically. Clean water costs money. We should use only what we need.

I actually appreciate the change. I used to go to Home Depot and find the employees had a well practiced manner of avoiding eye contact and a real attitude when you managed to corner one. Now I just smile and say no thanks, or sometimes even accept their help, though many employed there are dangerously inept.

One other reason for the water not being served automatically is so they can ask you if you would rather have bottled water (for a small fee).

In Denver, the current water restrictions are as follows: ""The Denver Board of Water Commissioners on Wednesday declared a Stage 2 drought, with mandatory restrictions on lawn irrigation, hotel laundry, car washing and other nonessential uses.
Residents may water lawns only twice weekly. Restaurants can serve water to customers only when asked. Lodging establishments can wash sheets for long-term guests no more frequently than every four days, unless the customer makes a request.
Cars may be washed only by using a bucket or a hand-held hose equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle. Fleet and commercial vehicles may be washed only once a week

Because you might have added something to it and have just gotten it right... and if they fill up your glass you get mad....

This was many years ago as my dad has been dead for decades.... but I remember one time when he got really mad because someone would come and fill up his coffee just when he got the sugar and cream the way he wanted.... and he had to start all over again... you don't see this kind of service anymore....

Boy....I guess I just come across wrong sometimes. I was trying to poke a bit of fun.....guess I just need to stop posting.

Oh, don't quit posting.... we are all grouches from time to time! Threads like this are fun once in a while. :)

Boy....I guess I just come across wrong sometimes. I was trying to poke a bit of fun.....guess I just need to stop posting.
If you were poking fun, so was I. If that's all it takes to get you to quit posting...never mind, I'm poking fun. Fortunately all the posts on this thread are just in fun. :cool:

Last edited:
I feel like I am in the first Airplane movie walking through the airport every time I go to Home Depot, ACE, etc. . . . I quite often have to tell them more than once that I am fine and just keep walking to get past them. I know this push comes from higher ups.....but are there that many people out there that LIKE this constant pushy effort to help?
The push does come from the higher ups. HD has a policy that if a store employee comes within X feet of a customer they must ask if the customer needs any assistance. This was in response to the problems with employees avoiding eye contact, etc. Like you, I'd much prefer to be left alone, but there seems to be no way to turn it off. I'd like to be able to pick up an "If I need help I'll ask for it" vest (with an image of Grumpy on it) when I come into the store. Heck, I should get a small discount for allowing their employees to do something else.

Many times I don't know exactly what I need. I need to walk the aisles and look at the merchandise until I find something that will work.

Home Depot used to be the absolute worst in terms of trying to find some help. Haven't noticed much change around here lately. Stores always in disarray, shelves unstocked, items every which way from all the knuckleheads pawing through everything.

Lowe's on the other hand is a pleasure to shop. Helpful employees and the stores are well maintained.

But for a quick trip, I really like my local ACE. I can ask anyone about anything and they can point me exactly to it and usually will guide me there if I want. They also seem to know something about plumbing or electrical or whatever else I am into that day, as opposed to the HD employees who couldn't empty water from a boot if the instructions were on the heel.

But for a quick trip, I really like my local ACE. I can ask anyone about anything and they can point me exactly to it and usually will guide me there if I want. They also seem to know something about plumbing or electrical or whatever else I am into that day, as opposed to the HD employees who couldn't empty water from a boot if the instructions were on the heel.

I like ACE also, but my last trip, I was looking for some Oriole food, and couldn't find it, and the teenager who was helping me commented 'I never heard of that kind of bird before'.:nonono:

Back
Top Bottom