One of my old co-w*rkers FIRED

Big_Hitter

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Got a call from an old co-w*rker yesterday who is coming to town for labor day weekend. He's going to stay with us and use one of my vehicles while I'm at w*rk.

Turns out he FIRED 10/30/15. He's the same age as I, 52 and was a LBYMer/saver/investor ever since I've known him, which has been about 22 years.

I told him to join the forum so he could give some of the younger folks tips on how he did it.

No, I'm not that jelly....:mad:

:LOL:

Great news. I was very happy that after I cut the cord I was able to help five other co-w*rkers understand they could do the same.

The best one was a guy who insisted he'd wait to 59.5. His dad was nearing the end and he had to take off during the process. Based on new information he'd been looking at his finances differently. After all was over his first day back no condolences from his manager. Instead he got "your project was late cause of you taking off, what are you going to do to get it back on schedule?". He left the meeting, called his SO, returned to his manager with resignation in hand! He's mentioned that he's had an extra 3 years of freedom based on new knowledge(most from here) and an a$$hat mangler.

Well there you go, stay with friends at no cost and borrow one of their cars, this guy has LBYM down to a science.

Well there you go, stay with friends at no cost and borrow one of their cars, this guy has LBYM down to a science.

well that was my idea (we have two bedrooms we don't use and I have a spare vehicle) - now DW is making me clean up the yard/house again :facepalm:

well that was my idea (we have two bedrooms we don't use and I have a spare vehicle) - now DW is making me clean up the yard/house again :facepalm:

Hopefully he lives in a place you would like to visit.:angel:

We live in LA and have friends in Seattle. They do that for us and we gladly reciprocate.

I know there are websites like Home Exchange, but I've thought about a website where there would be cells of 5 couples who did something like this, and then have the cells intermingle with each other.

With credit card hacking and earning free flights, a free car and a place to stay really can make a vacation pretty cheap. Seems like a way to make new friends too.

We live in LA and have friends in Seattle. They do that for us and we gladly reciprocate.

I know there are websites like Home Exchange, but I've thought about a website where there would be cells of 5 couples who did something like this, and then have the cells intermingle with each other.

With credit card hacking and earning free flights, a free car and a place to stay really can make a vacation pretty cheap.

Great ideas. Thanks!!

:)

Actually, now that I think of it, old friends and I have a similar, informal arrangement. It's always planned in terms of "catching up with each other," but the vacation realities are (in fact) quite LBYM! I have best friends and close family members who live in San Diego Co., Fresno, the San Joaquin Valley, the Bay Area, and Marin Co. (all in CA). Others hail from upstate NY, FL, Maryland and Iowa. We all want to see each other whenever there's a chance (or someone is swinging through on some other trip). Bottom line: we all stay with each other, enjoy going to the local sights, and cook for each other in our kitchens. We drive each other to the places we want the visitor to see. And we stay up too late drinking wine (bought on sale), or indulging in too much dessert, and/or sitting by whichever body of water is local (Pacific Ocean? Hudson River? Atlantic Ocean? Lake Erie or Ontario? or the Cuyahoga River....or the American River).

Basically, these visits are simple extensions of friendships started in college, at family events, at schools where I taught, or in former neighborhoods. Everybody loves where everybody else lives. So, it's all win/win. See the friend, and enjoy that place!

Last edited:
I never had any luck influencing my co-w*rkers to LBYM and ER. One guy did ER, but was living on 8% WDR. Had to go back to w*rk after the Great Recession. Other former co-w*rkers have not been able to hide their envy since they still w*rk and I've been retired for 10 years. I'm not one to say "I told you so." But I did try to push them in the right direction. They simply could not focus on the future. YMMV

I'm the only one in my office that is LBYM. People constantly complaining about money, but they are all house rich and cash poor. Remodeled kitchens, remodeled entire basements, and they spend frivolously.

Money has never been and never will be a status symbol to me, it has always meant freedom!

I never had any luck influencing my co-w*rkers to LBYM and ER. One guy did ER, but was living on 8% WDR. Had to go back to w*rk after the Great Recession. Other former co-w*rkers have not been able to hide their envy since they still w*rk and I've been retired for 10 years. I'm not one to say "I told you so." But I did try to push them in the right direction. They simply could not focus on the future. YMMV

Same here. Just blank looks if I ever go near the subject.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom