What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very impressive. I probably would have waited around for a bit, hoping to maybe shake his hand and thank him. Those guys are incredible. Last I saw, fewer than 80 of them living. I've had the great pleasure of meeting two of them.

I did hang around for 10-15 minutes hoping the driver would show up but had to go. I've done some looking online but still can't figure out who it might be.

The only TX MoH winner I could think of. I remember when he crashed. I was living about 50 miles from Catawba at the time. Very sad time. He was a hero of mine (and many others) when I was a kid.

I went skiing yesterday. Nice day, good conditions. It was my birthday so the kids bought dinner. I didn't even have to spend any of their inheritance! :LOL::LOL:

A belated Happy Birthday to you, Hermit! :)

Yesterday I dozed or slept on and off nearly all day. Then I slept as much as usual last night. I think I am fighting off a winter cold perhaps.

When I was working, once in a long while there were days when I just wanted to crawl back into bed but couldn't, because I had to go to work. As a retiree it so nice to have the option of doing that.

Yesterday I dozed or slept on and off nearly all day. Then I slept as much as usual last night. I think I am fighting off a winter cold perhaps.

That's what I did most of this morning. I love being retired!

DW and I went to see "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri".

We are just starting week two of four weeks in Byron Bat, Australia. I woke up to the sound of a kookaburra. This morning I'll take my backpack and do the easy mile walk into town to buy fruits and vegetables. Then we'll come home and make a salad for lunch. After that we'll do a five minute walk to IMO, the best beach in Byron Bay.

This is a great place to be!

I picked up new winter tires for my new (used) car today and when attempting to install them, found out that my car doesn't have a jack. :facepalm: It only has one of those leak seal kits and a compressor.

I can understand the leak seal kit, but to not even include a jack? I guess they saved a whopping $10 by assuming that no one rotates their own tires or puts on winter tires. In Canada. :LOL:

I picked up new winter tires for my new (used) car today and when attempting to install them, found out that my car doesn't have a jack. :facepalm: It only has one of those leak seal kits and a compressor.

I can understand the leak seal kit, but to not even include a jack? I guess they saved a whopping $10 by assuming that no one rotates their own tires or puts on winter tires. In Canada. :LOL:

Repeating a story I already posted here but a few years ago I rented a Kia snotbox from Enterprise in Mississauga while I was between vehicles. It had a leak and so I pulled over to replace the tire with the spare.

No spare. Just a stupid compressor and puncture kit. I WAS LIVID.

So I said screw it and since I was only 5 KM from the rental place, I drove it back slow speed on the deflated tire and raised hell.

Got a new car and a discount.

There is saving money and then there is endangering people.

Well, now that I have winter tires, one of them will be my summer spare and a summer tire will be my winter spare. I'll just have to buy a scissor jack and a lug nut wrench.

Wintry, cold, and snowy here, so we have to adjust. I went and swam with my Mom at her workout place. Then I walked the track, nice and slow. We walk outside a lot, so it was nice to walk on a flat track inside where it was warm. Although a bit boring. Then I stopped at my sister's with Diet Coke for both of us for a visit. My DH and I went to our local Mexican restaurant for lunch (house margarita) and then we have just been at home. I made chili for dinner.

Spent yesterday and today cleaning up the iTunes files and database, making sure all the music is on the new iMac. DW had a habit of ripping only a couple of songs from a CD then complaining to me that some of her music was "missing.: :) All complicated by the fact that her phone was sync'ed to a laptop that crashed years ago, and she has an ancient iPod Nano she likes to use at the gym instead of her phone.

Took the cat to the vet and back in the morning, then went back out in the afternoon to futz around town. Bought ingredients for my next batch of beer, and stopped by the bottle shop to see what they had new. Hopslam! Gawd I love that stuff.

I bought a 2016 Hyundai, and when I had a flat found the same thing. I immediately went on line and bought the kit, which was a spare tire, jack and jack handle.

Our new BBQ arrived this afternoon, and DW was helping me assemble it. I got to one point where I could not get a screw to grab, and finally took the piece to check the threads. Sure enough, one set of threads was screwed up.
Unfortunately, all these threads are metric, and I have a beautiful tap and die set, ALL SAE:(. A quick trip to my local hardware for a 6mm tap solved the problem. I am keeping it ready in case I have problems with the rest of the assembly.

Weather in the Bay Area has been phenomenal the past couple weeks, with more of the same forecast: 70-ish & sunny 😎 ! Of course, the downside to that is risk of drought but, hey...that’s tomorrow’s problem.

So, went for a great hike in the Marin Headlands today. Around here, with ~100k acres of open space encompassing a wide array of environments (redwood forests, beaches, estuaries, coastal ranges, cliffs, islands & killer views from almost everywhere), it’s difficult to find a “bad” trailhead. Makes me feel lucky to be alive. :dance:

Tonight is the third performance out of eight for a musical I’m playing in at a local community theater. 10 piece orchestra, DH is keyboardist and conductor. We hate having a blast. Lots of great music swirling in my head all the time.

Flute choir at my house today, so I need to set up chairs and music stands and do some touch up cleaning this morning.

Today, we went to the matinee showing of "Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri." I can see why it received several Oscar nominations.

One of my bands had a gig last night. One of the founding members who left the band in fall came out to see us and joined us for a couple songs. We're playing there again tonight.

Still waiting for parts for my project to come from China. So, to kill some time, I dissected a failed LED bulb. This is the 2nd bulb that failed. I still have the 1st one somewhere in the garage, kept for the same purpose. This one is however on hand.

10965-albums222-picture1590.jpg

Inside, nothing exciting here. A full-wave rectifier feeds a DC-DC buck converter, whose output drives 7 LEDs wired in series. About as ordinary as one can expect.

But, but, but these are passive components, and where's the "active" ingredient, I can hear some ask.

Well, there's an IC on the underside of the board, with "glob-top" encapsulation. Nothing to show, but a white blob. It's the IC that failed, and had erratic output.

That's all folks. Now, I have this LED module which still works, but do not know what to use it for. The 7 LEDs in series need more than 30VDC before they light up.

10965-albums222-picture1591.jpg

Taxes, Federal, State and Local done and filed. 33.2% effective tax rate. Never will see that high a rate again ( I hope).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom