"Thanks" notification default setting

Koogie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It has been brought to my attention that the default in the software is not to get notified when someone "thanks" you.

Is that correct ? If so, could that be changed ?

People have left me some nice, funny and insightful comments over the last two years and I was never notified about them. I feel rude now that I was never able to acknowledge them or respond to them.

It has been brought to my attention that the default in the software is not to get notified when someone "thanks" you.

Is that correct ? If so, could that be changed?

Yes, there is a switch to turn that on. Go to "User CP" (control panel) at the top of the screen and click on that. Then under "Settings and Options" click on "Edit options". Scroll down a bit -one screen for me - and you'll see "Messaging and Notification". Scroll about halfway down (on my display anyway) and you'll see "Thanks PM notification" and a check box. Click on the box and you're done.

Attachments

• Thanks switch.JPG
    Thanks switch.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 21
Yes, there is a switch to turn that on. Go to "User CP" (control panel) at the top of the screen and click on that. Then under "Settings and Options" click on "Edit options". Scroll down a bit -one screen for me - and you'll see "Messaging and Notification". Scroll about halfway down (on my display anyway) and you'll see "Thanks PM notification" and a check box. Click on the box and you're done.

So, by default it is set to Off ? Doesn't that seem counterproductive ?

Why have a feature where people can thank other posters and those posters are never aware of it ? Unless they tick a box buried in the legalese somewhere....

Yeah, it would be better if it were set to "on" by default. Unlike many forums, you guys have no way of indicating a reaction to posts (e.g., the typical "like" button), unless you want to post a reply just to say you agree or found the post funny or informative. "Thanks" is the only option, but if the person doesn't see it (and most will not), it serves no purpose.

All the forums have PM Notification set to OFF. So I always flip the switch when I enroll. I get lots of private messages and Thanks. Also you have to keep your inbox clean or it will eventually limit new entries.

I agree that ON should be the default. Then they could send you a welcome message and include instructions for how to turn them OFF.

One thing to note. If you respond to the email prompt and view which post is being thanked, View New Posts will consider that you have seen all forum entries at that time. And you will miss posts the next time you want to view the forum.

Last edited:
One thing to note. If you respond to the email prompt and view which post is being thanked, View New Posts will consider that you have seen all forum entries at that time. And you will miss posts the next time you want to view the forum.

Ah, thanks for this^. I've had this happen a few times lately and couldn't figure out what the issue might be. You just saved me a ton of time and frustration. :flowers:

omni

Was wondering about this. I once stumbled on a couple "thanks" that I had received years ago. I think I saw them when I was searching threads, but really cant recall for sure. Was a tad embarrassing as one especially was rather nice, and I think even from a moderator, and I had no idea until years later.

On the other hand, i suppose "thanking" someone for a "thanks" can become tiresome, like who wants to be the "impolite" one who stops the round robin of "thanks for thanks for thanks.....":LOL:

Perhaps this is why the default is "off".

The choice of setting the toggle should i think be made obvious to members when we first join.

Is that correct ? If so, could that be changed ?

People have left me some nice, funny and insightful comments over the last two years and I was never notified about them. I feel rude now that I was never able to acknowledge them or respond to them.

We can probably change the notification default to 'yes' for new registrants (and then they can disable as desired) but I am not so sure that setting all current accounts to yes would be well received.

Looking into feasibility ...

Back
Top Bottom