Blow That Dough! - 2019

Well........certainly had no trouble blowing our dough during the holidays.

Two days before Thanksgiving, our furnace died. Right before an Arctic chill was going to hit, of course.

The old furnace was amortized over 30 yr period so can't complain. But we certainly shivered for 5 days until our new high efficiency gas furnace was installed the next Monday.

That was a very fast $6800 out the door...........whoosh!!

Between that the dryer dying in September, which led us to a new W/D pair, we went through almost $10K without even counting gifting.

Spouse: "Here's your Xmas present, dear - a new washer!"
Me: "And here's yours - a new dryer to match!"

Spent $200 on a new burr coffee bean grinder.
I'm ready for a better grinder myself. Just upgraded my espresso machine to a mid level one. My plan is to spend more on the grinder than the espresso machine. Are you satisfied with the new grinder. Would you share the specifics.

After all my LT Capital Gains distributions posted I went to the 2018 version of TurboTax and estimated my 2019 liability. Realized gains were less than last year although overall (realized and unrealized) are significantly better, so I overpaid my Estimated taxes and am due refunds from State and Federal. (Have since confirmed with TurboTax 2019.)

Ten percent of my anticipated refund went for a pair of black Tony Lama boots. :DThe remainder will go into the grandkids' 529 accounts.

Last edited:
I'm ready for a better grinder myself. Just upgraded my espresso machine to a mid level one. My plan is to spend more on the grinder than the espresso machine. Are you satisfied with the new grinder. Would you share the specifics.

I just ordered it from Amazon and haven't received it yet. It's a Breville Smart Grinder Pro and was highly rated in the reviews I read.

Had a one finger pour of Louis XIII last night with dinner.

Well you didn't ask me but I'm so satisfied with my grinder I wanted to reply.
I bought one of these about 18 months ago:
https://www.amazon.com/Rancilio-HSD-ROC-SD-Espresso-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00H1OUW24
It's fantastic! Very consistent, fine grind for my espresso maker (Breville). Very quiet. The only downside -is that the basket holder is a little large for my Breville espresso handle. I hold the basket while I grind, but not much of a problem.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Rancilio. I need to be able to make micro adjustments on the grind for the perfect shot and the one I have currently has only 18 settings. The settings 1 to 3 for finer grind is just way too limited. I am sure your Rancilio has a lot more than 18. I also have a commercial sized basket 58 MM, so perfect. Time for me to blow that dough!!

Well you didn't ask me but I'm so satisfied with my grinder I wanted to reply.
I bought one of these about 18 months ago:
https://www.amazon.com/Rancilio-HSD-ROC-SD-Espresso-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00H1OUW24
It's fantastic! Very consistent, fine grind for my espresso maker (Breville). Very quiet. The only downside -is that the basket holder is a little large for my Breville espresso handle. I hold the basket while I grind, but not much of a problem.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Rancilio. I need to be able to make micro adjustments on the grind for the perfect shot and the one I have currently has only 18 settings. The settings 1 to 3 for finer grind is just way too limited. I am sure your Rancilio has a lot more than 18. I also have a commercial sized basket 58 MM, so perfect. Time for me to blow that dough!!

It has at least 50 grind positions, and they are super easy to adjust. It's bean dependent, but I typically use setting 7, 8 or 9 for my espresso shots.

I never quite understood replacing both washer and dryer when one dies. No one has ever been in my laundry room back when I had one. Now in our older house they are in the garage.

I never quite understood replacing both washer and dryer when one dies. No one has ever been in my laundry room back when I had one. Now in our older house they are in the garage.
I don't either, but I suppose if the dryer dies and you've been wanting to replace the old agitator washer for a new one, you might. Or...to blow that dough?

I guess I'll find out how critical it is when I sell the townhouse my son was living in. The previous owner left a washer that was working. I bought a new dryer. Same color but not a match. It's in a laundry closet in an unfinished basement room.

In my house, it happens that both of mine died at the same time, but it was a related incident. I made the mistake of washing a cheap rug with backing that was falling apart. It jammed up a filter, and then some. I tried to clean it out but it was repeatedly getting clogged. It was a cheap washer anyway, about 10-15 yrs old, not worth a repair call. Then I tossed the load in the dryer, but it hadn't been through the spin cycle so it was very wet and heavy. It got way out of balance and I think beyond repair. I can remember exactly, but I think I was ready to punt pretty quickly and found a nice W/D pair for right about a grand, delivered.

Was ready to blow that dough last week, but didn't pull the trigger. My son's alma mater made the FCS football championship game. He asked if I was interested in going with him, unspoken that I'd be paying. I said sure, let's look into it. It's not like the LSU-Clemson FBS championship, how much could it be? I kind of thought it'd be something like a $50 ticket, $250 flight, $100 hotel room close to the stadium...a worthwhile father/son weekend.

Well, tickets were sold out. On the secondary market it was going to be about $150 each for top row or corner seats. A little better seats near his school's section were about $200 including stiff reseller fees, and we might still be surrounded by NDSU fans, many of whom bought tickets at the start of the year because they make it about every year.

No direct flights into DFW from the airport near him, so that was going to be another $400ish and a two hop flight.

Parking is something like $70 at the stadium. There are hotels nearby, but all were booked up. Maybe we'd just Uber everything.

No telling what mid-January weather would be like in the Dallas area, so we might be sitting in cold rain with so-so seats, rather than in a bar in Virginia or my living room watching it on the big screen. We both realized this was starting to approach the cost of our Colorado ski trip later in January, and that nothing was working out easily. We decided the TV option would be just fine. I'll break out the Van Winkle bourbon if they win.

I never quite understood replacing both washer and dryer when one dies.
We replaced both when our Kenmore (non-repairable LG) washer died because:
1. We switched over to a compact size. Really like our newer Miele with TwinDos.
2. The replacement dryer is a condensing heat pump ventless one. Yea!

It's hard to chuck something that is functional. We did a kitchen reno and got a new dishwasher and stove/oven because we wanted added functionalities (the old dishwasher was ancient and I wanted a double oven.) They're stainless steel. The fridge is still sitting there and it's white, but it's functional and there's no reason to buy a new one just to match the rest of the kitchen decor IMO. The same with the kitchen floor. I was thinking of replacing it with something that is more stylish, but I just couldn't, as replacing the floor would not add any new functionalities. The same goes with the washer/dryer combo.

I replaced 2 perfectly good kitchen appliances (stove & fridge) when I did the remodel. Bigger fridge and stove with induction cooktop.

Hey when you spend 12 grand for new counters and cabs, what's and extra three for spiffy appliances to match?

I replaced 2 perfectly good kitchen appliances (stove & fridge) when I did the remodel. Bigger fridge and stove with induction cooktop.

Hey when you spend 12 grand for new counters and cabs, what's and extra three for spiffy appliances to match?

I just can't justify it in my head... Chucking a perfectly functioning appliance just to get the matched look... That is just wasteful to me and I just can't do it. If I get a lot of pleasure out of looking at matched appliances, and if that pleasure overweighs the guilty feeling of wasteful spending, I guess I'll do it then. If something looks gross (dirty) or worn out, I have no problem replacing it, but my white fridge looks quite new and functions perfectly, so it'll just stay in my kitchen along with my stainless steel stove/oven and dishwasher.

I don't either, but I suppose if the dryer dies and you've been wanting to replace the old agitator washer for a new one, you might. Or...to blow that dough?

I guess I'll find out how critical it is when I sell the townhouse my son was living in. The previous owner left a washer that was working. I bought a new dryer. Same color but not a match. It's in a laundry closet in an unfinished basement room.

In my house, it happens that both of mine died at the same time, but it was a related incident. I made the mistake of washing a cheap rug with backing that was falling apart. It jammed up a filter, and then some. I tried to clean it out but it was repeatedly getting clogged. It was a cheap washer anyway, about 10-15 yrs old, not worth a repair call. Then I tossed the load in the dryer, but it hadn't been through the spin cycle so it was very wet and heavy. It got way out of balance and I think beyond repair. I can remember exactly, but I think I was ready to punt pretty quickly and found a nice W/D pair for right about a grand, delivered.

How convenient is it that a single load killed both the washer and dryer? One stone two birds. Brilliant! :LOL:

I wish I could have borrowed that rug. My DH kept fixing our washer. It worked just well enough after his repair to complete the wash but didn't spin enough water out of the clothes. I was having to run them through 3 dryer cycles to get them dry. I finally demanded a new pair. Wish I'd gotten only the washer though. The new dryer is terrible.

I wish I could have borrowed that rug. My DH kept fixing our washer. It worked just well enough after his repair to complete the wash but didn't spin enough water out of the clothes. I was having to run them through 3 dryer cycles to get them dry. I finally demanded a new pair. Wish I'd gotten only the washer though. The new dryer is terrible.

:LOL:

The old range was from my "frugal years" an open coil GE cheapie, $400 new. It replaced the builder range when my wife declared that one too ugly and it worked too. Women, go figure...

Anyway, the current stuff looks great and works great and is more efficient too. Not to mention we are talking GE and Whirlpool here, not Wolfe and Sub Zero.

Induction burners are fast and efficient. Wonderful. That's what people in foreign countries are using, because their electricity is expensive.

However, my range with the glass cooktop and double ovens is still in good shape, and I cannot see replacing it.

As my kitchen appliances have died we replaced them. So refrigerator and dishwasher are stainless steel and stove and microwave are still white.

After opening this year's BTD thread with a purchase of an engagement ring for the Beautiful Princess, it's time to report back....

The Beautiful Princess has taken up residence in the FlaGator abode, along with surviving possessions. All is well, she's spoiling my kids, and great to hear her talk about "just wandering through Target, after years of having to quickly get in and out when I was working". Best decision I've made in many years :)

Now for the accounting:

-Multiple trips west to keep the flame burning until she got here
-Relocating her
-Replacing a 2 year old car totaled in an accident with a loaded new Honda Passport
-Buying kid #1 a new Kia Soul, because.....;)
-Paying sorority costs for kid#1, because mom and I were Greeks ;)
-Paying for the Beautiful Princess to start hunter/jumper lessons after an 8 year hiatus
-Sending the kids on a separate trip to Disney World because I felt guilty the Beautiful Princess and I went without them;)
-upgrading the household furnishings so the Beautiful Princess doesn't think she's living in a frat house ;)
-a new Rolex SS Submariner for me (traded the old one, so less painful)
-Sending the Beautiful Princess out west over Christmas to see her family

The $ increase in spending this year is too embarrassing to share in a forum of LBYM types. As a percentage, it was 70% above my comfortable annual run rate, but well worth it :)

Hoping things normalize after the March wedding and May satellite reception out west :facepalm:

Yeah.

I had to send my wife and step daughter out east to see my step son just because.

Back
Top Bottom