0% capital gains bracket

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Am I correct that the 0% capitol gain bracket is going away in 2024? The married filling jointly threshold is a taxable income under 89250 and in 2024 goes to 94300 I believe.

Am I correct that the 0% capitol gain bracket is going away in 2024? The married filling jointly threshold is a taxable income under 89250 and in 2024 goes to 94300 I believe.

I thought the 0% LTCG/QD bracket pre-dated TCJA. Wasn't it a Bush tax cut?

Last edited:

According to the article you posted, there will still be 0% CG.

960x0.png

Yep I deleted when I realized I couldn't read! I don't think I have done one single thing right today.

This thread is confusing because I can't tell who is responding to who

is the 0% LTCG rate going away as the OP suggested?

and if so do we know what it will be ?
thx

The bracket changes put in place by the TCJA legislation expire after the 2025 tax year. So other than the inflation adjustments, the brackets aren’t changing until 2026. I don’t recall if that will reset the 0% cap gains bracket or not, but certainly not until 2026 if it does.

The bracket changes put in place by the TCJA legislation expire after the 2025 tax year. So other than the inflation adjustments, the brackets aren’t changing until 2026. I don’t recall if that will reset the 0% cap gains bracket or not, but certainly not until 2026 if it does.

Even if the TCJA expires, the 0% cap gains bracket won't "go away". The limit would just change.

You are incorrect. There is no capitol gains tax bracket and never was. Not sure if that qualifies as going away or not.

do capital gains *add to* your 'taxable income' bottom line? In other words, if taxable income is just under the minimum for 0% capital gains, would a stock sale be *added to* your taxable income on your 1040? And would it push you *out of* the 0% rate spot?

do capital gains *add to* your 'taxable income' bottom line? In other words, if taxable income is just under the minimum for 0% capital gains, would a stock sale be *added to* your taxable income on your 1040? And would it push you *out of* the 0% rate spot?

Yes and Yes. But only the part over the 0% range is taxed at CG rates.

Back
Top Bottom