10 Best Movies about Retirement

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This was a large article in the WSJ today. I can second the five of these movies I've seen as being waaaay above average. Regardless, here are the top 10 movies about retirement:

About Schmidt
Cocoon
Going in Style
Harry & Tonto
High Noon
The Lion in Winter
Lost in America
On Golden Pond
The Straight Story
Unforgiven

Enjoy!:D

I really hadn't thought about "High Noon" as a retirement movie. But, yes it surely is one. Or better yet, one coming out of retirement one last time to set things straight before leaving.

Nothing like a good ol' Gary Cooper movie.

I was thinking along lines of movies where the actor should have retired instead of making the movie because the move was so bad LOL.

Mel Gibson had a movie where he was just out of prison - it might have been called payback- which might have been worse movie I ever saw and would be grounds for him retiring instead of making that movie.

other than that, cannot think of a single movie about people being retired. Never watched any of the movies on the list above.

I've seen five on that list, and all were great. But how could they forget this one?

645quiet.jpg

Wow that is a great list and High Noon is inspired choice. I guess I'd add Grand Torino to the list.

Have to add the western classic "Shane" also.

Shane tries to retire from being a gunfighter to be a farmer, only have to fight again to save the town and later realizes he'll eventually die a gunfighter. Good Stuff.

"That was Wilson, he was fast, fast at the draw." :)

Man, I hated About Schmidt. A nasty movie about a nasty man. Gran Torino should have been on the list. The nasty man redeems himself.

Have to add the western classic "Shane" also.

Doh! How did I forget SHANE? It's my fave movie of all time and (strangely) the only western I really like.

Well, what'll it be? Lemon, strawberry or lilac, sodbuster?

Yeah, “Up” is a good current one. For some reason, “The Road” pops into my head, the hero will never work for an employer again and is therefore retired? Great movie for the big screen, people just sat there when it was over, some grown men sitting alone blowing their noses.

Retirement movies are really age movies, and movies about no longer being part of the dominant generation.

Retirement is entertaining yourself until you die. Often fun, but not particularly inspiring, to you or anyone else.

My absolute favorite is The Last Good Time.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110306/usercomments

Ha

I loved the Bucket List but they weren't really retired were they?

I completely agree with Martha about About Schmidt. You couldn't pay me to watch it again.

Doh! How did I forget SHANE? It's my fave movie of all time and (strangely) the only western I really like.

Well, what'll it be? Lemon, strawberry or lilac, sodbuster?

I remember..when Callaway pours the whiskey on Shane.
(Callaway just fumigated a sodbuster).

Funny when we start reciting the lines and remeber all the scenes.

Near the end of the movies goes something like this ...

Shane: "I heard about you.."
Wilson: "What have you heard? Shane"
Shane: "I've heard that you're a lowdown Yankee Liar"
Wilson: "Prove It!"

pause..then
*** the shooting starts ****

...Shane..Look out! :LOL:

Man, I hated About Schmidt. A nasty movie about a nasty man. Gran Torino should have been on the list. The nasty man redeems himself.

And I loved that movie! Wow...guess that's why God invented both chocolate AND vanilla.

Good grief...am I the ONLY woman here who liked About Schmidt:confused:

Back
Top Bottom