10 Best Movies about Retirement

High Noon is one of the greatest films ever. Never thought of it as an early retirement film but it is!

Most of our lives are not so dramatic. Was going to retire but stayed on to make sure the TPS reports were correct!:LOL:

And I loved that movie! Wow...guess that's why God invented both chocolate AND vanilla.

Good grief...am I the ONLY woman here who liked About Schmidt:confused:

I really liked this film in a dark sort of way. The point where he walked past his old files being thrown out was brutal.

Some of the comments on this board where people say they left under their own terms. Yeah, sure.:(

I loved the Bucket List but they weren't really retired were they?

I completely agree with Martha about About Schmidt. You couldn't pay me to watch it again.
I always had a suspicious feeling about it, so I'm glad I never watched it. Anyway - I can't really stand you-know-who (the actor who looks like a toad).

Audrey

How about Dances With Wolves?

About Schmidt is a remarkable movie to me. It reflects that many, many people lead hollow, meaningless lives in their relationships to spouse and kids, to friends and especially work. Think of Death of A Salesman. Then the movie has contact with others that live life differently but not necessarily better. It is a dark film, like Grapes of Wrath but it is dark with humor. At first Schmidt is only vaguely aware of his existential crisis and it is painful to wake up a little. Speaking of pain, seeing Katy Bates naked is psychic trauma.
The image of watching a clock ticking away is effective, who hasn't watch a clock that way at school or work. And he does open up a least a bit in supporting a poor child overseas.
This is a great web board, a pretty conscious place, so I want to say "present company excluded" but I can relate to elements of this movie so maybe others can too.

The best retirement movie I've seen recently is "Up."

You are so right. . Up is my choice for the Oscars this year and it is about life after retirement.

High Noon is one of the greatest films ever. Never thought of it as an early retirement film but it is!

Most of our lives are not so dramatic. Was going to retire but stayed on to make sure the TPS reports were correct!:LOL:

drama is over rated

had some drama a few years back

happy to be back to boring

Office Space...at least Milton made it to a nice Caribbean beach with all of those money orders. "I can take my money orders to a competing resort"

( I know...I never though of it as a retirement movie either until now, but...)

About Schmidt is a remarkable movie to me. It reflects that many, many people lead hollow, meaningless lives in their relationships to spouse and kids, to friends and especially work. Think of Death of A Salesman. Then the movie has contact with others that live life differently but not necessarily better. It is a dark film, like Grapes of Wrath but it is dark with humor. At first Schmidt is only vaguely aware of his existential crisis and it is painful to wake up a little. Speaking of pain, seeing Katy Bates naked is psychic trauma.
The image of watching a clock ticking away is effective, who hasn't watch a clock that way at school or work. And he does open up a least a bit in supporting a poor child overseas.
This is a great web board, a pretty conscious place, so I want to say "present company excluded" but I can relate to elements of this movie so maybe others can too.

Pretty decent analysis, but I saw the bottom line to that movie as how Schmidt's life was essentially meaningless in his mind and it probably was; but, at the end, when he gets the letter from the international foster child he's been sending money to telling him how important the help Schmidt was sending was to him, he realizes that his life had some meaning to someone no matter how small a contribution.
I loved that movie myself! Can't understand why more on this board--particularly the women--didn't. Go figure?

but, at the end, when he gets the letter from the international foster child he's been sending money to telling him how important the help Schmidt was sending was to him, he realizes that his life had some meaning to someone no matter how small a contribution.
I loved that movie myself! Can't understand why more on this board--particularly the women--didn't. Go figure?

Something that is not clear to me. I mean really, this forum is made up of people who mostly want to do nothing particularly important to anyone but themselves. Face it, ERs are not social heroes.

How was Schmidt's life any less meaningful than our lives are?

Maybe you are out saving lives like RIT, or some other very important jobs. Maybe you are creating very important software, or a new generation of airplanes. But most of us are just turning food into poop for 70, 80, 90 years. Maybe we have children and create another generation of poop producers, and some of them will do unusually socially useful things. But mostly we just live; and except for our families nobody much cares what we do unless we step outside the law and get into trouble. Our mark is measured by our love and kindness. I don't see that Schmidt was particularly unfeeling or unkind, just maybe a little less lucky than some are.

Maybe this is a good reason to believe in a god. No one is unimportant or useless to god.

Ha

Something that is not clear to me. I mean really, this forum is made up of people who mostly want to do nothing particularly important to anyone but themselves. Face it, ERs are not social heroes.

How was Schmidt's life any less meaningful than our lives are?

Maybe you are out saving lives like RIT, or some other very important jobs. Maybe you are creating very important software, or a new generation of airplanes. But most of us are just turning food into poop for 70, 80, 90 years. Maybe we have children and create another generation of poop producers, and some of them will do unusually socially useful things. But mostly we just live; and except for our families nobody much cares what we do unless we step outside the law and get into trouble. Our mark is measured by our love and kindness. I don't see that Schmidt was particularly unfeeling or unkind, just maybe a little less lucky than some are.

Maybe this is a good reason to believe in a god. No one is unimportant or useless to god.

Ha

Are you trying to cheer us up?:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom