2009 cpi-u

Well, interesting Nords, particularly from a tax bracket perspective. It looks assured that at least 85% of our SS will be taxable and I suppose that will likely go to 100% eventually.

My tax bracket is going to be lower than either of yours and I am older, at 61, but for some reason I have always assumed in my calculations that SS will be 100% taxable as ordinary income. Maybe it's a premonition... :) I keep forgetting that it isn't.

I only have 24 years of work history; the rest is zeroes. So far our earnings histories are almost equal and we're only a year apart in age. Our latest SS estimates are around $1000/month (each) at age 62 rising to $1800/month at age 70.

Nords,
Have you been able to tell how much the zero's will hurt your SS?
I'm about to start stacking them up for the next 10 to 15 years.
Steve

I suppose that is all off topic. But a cpi-u question, our military pensions didn't receive a cola this year due to dropping of the cpi. Will our next cola increase be calculated from the difference in Sep 10 minus Sep 09 or Sep 08 cpi's. Obviously using Sep 09 should get us the higher raise and would be a little bonus for NOT getting a cola this yr. I think this is the way I-bonds work following a period of deflation. Anyone know?

for SS the 3rd qtr 08 average cpi number will be used as the starting point until a cola is paid. i know that fed pensions use the SS computations and i think military pensions use it too.

Back
Top Bottom