2010: the year for travel

Planning on Costa Rica (only a couple of weeks this time), one ski trip to New Mexico or Colorado, and whatever else we can afford.

I would like to take the kids to Italy and Greece one day. DW and I went pre kids and had a blast. Has anyone ridden the Donkeys up the steep hill from the harbor in Santorini? We did that, hung out on the island all day, then decided to ride them back down that night and for some reason the crazy donkeys RAN all the way down and scared the hell out of both of us. I remember DW screaming all the way down the hill, while I remained calm and reassured her all was well. ;)

THe donkeys seem try to rub you off on the short rail, which is the only thing that keeps you from plunging down to the harbor.

This is not us, but it's a good explanation of how it is. Their donkeys are walking like they are supposed to however.

YouTube - Wild Donkey Ride up to Santorini Greece

Has anyone ridden the Donkeys up the steep hill from the harbor in Santorini?

Yes, in 1972 - - loads of fun! My donkey was the slowest of all of them, but I eventually got to the top. Santorini is a beautiful island with lots of touristy things to do, and buy.

Ah, well. I do hope he gets well soon.

I can't help you then. Both locations are in the "must see"/"bucket list" category. Yellowstone has too many people for me but there is a well-earned reason for that. New Mexico, as I said before, is rightly named the "Land of Enchantment."

BTW, What do you consider the "high country" of New Mexico?
Poor guy...still has to w*rk and then put up with me the rest of the time. Glutton for punishment. :LOL:

We plan to go to Yellowstone this year but NOT during the summer. :nonono:
I haven't figured out the best time yet. dh2b is up to his eyeballs at w*rk. We will definitely stay on site at one of the hotels or lodges or maybe even a single cabin. Not sure yet.

I have no familiarity with New Mexico except a Dept of Tourism book I sent away for. Plenty of time to familiarize myself with NM. :D Once I have some basic knowledge, I'll be asking questions here.

We plan to go to Yellowstone this year but NOT during the summer.

Oh!!!! There is nothing more beautiful (or scary dangerous) than Yellowstone in the dead of Winter. That would be among the top of my "must see and do" travel list.

Envy, envy,envy.

Yes, this is the kind of talk I like to hear: travel. There are worse ways to lighten up your wallet.

Also to "redistribute" wealth voluntarily, the way you like it. Else the gummint is gonna do it their way. :whistle:

My wallet has been getting thin, however. Other than some travel for work this year, I have not been abroad with my sweetheart.

... I'm returning to Burma and Thailand for 2 1/2 months on Nov 30... Adventures as fabulous as you might imagine, however.

I am sure it's exciting! Does it also involve dodging rebels' bullets? :D

For 2010, I am looking forward to a slow year travel-wise. One week to 10 days in San Fran/Napa/Las Vegas in September, and probably a couple of weeks in Europe around Christmas. Maybe a road trip to NC to go visit friends in the spring. We spent quite a bit of money on travel this year and next year I'd like to redirect our funds towards home improvement projects (hardwood floors and maybe a bathroom remodel).

For 2010, I am looking forward to a slow year travel-wise......

That was this year for us. We only did 2 weeks in Florida in Feb/Mar, and we're going to Nashville and to Branson for a few days each toward the end of Nov and the 1st part of Dec. We did do a bunch of day trips, and other stuff close to home, but really cut back on the longer trips this year compared to previous years. It was actually nice to stay home and enjoy our little corner of paradise for a change!!! :flowers:

I didn't travel at all this year. I've pre-registered for a group travel deal to Maine, but, not too sure if I'm going yet. They haven't posted the price yet and I don't have to commit until later. I'm a big chicken when figuring out how I want to travel these days. I don't think I really want group travel but then again, I don't feel like I'm ready for solo travel either.

....I don't think I really want group travel but then again....

We've done a LOT of group travel over the past 10 or 11 years, and it's been mostly good experiences! Every once in a while something happens that is irritating to us, but that is definitely the exception and NOT the rule! We've met some folks who have become wonderful friends....and we've met a few (extremely few) that we hope to never see again...anywhere...anytime....ever!

We've gone the group travel route to a lot of places that we otherwise would not have been to, whether because of time or distance, or in many cases, because we didn't even know some of those places even existed!!! And some of the group trips that we've taken, have simply been for the convenience.

Thanks Goonie, I hope that I can make my first group travel a positive one. I would have to decide if I wanted a room mate or a single room to myself. Pity the poor woman that would get ME...I snore.:ROFLMAO:

Thanks Goonie, I hope that I can make my first group travel a positive one. I would have to decide if I wanted a room mate or a single room to myself. Pity the poor woman that would get ME...I snore.:ROFLMAO:

If I'm traveling by myself with a group, I always opt for my own room with no roommate. Even when I've traveled with a group of my friends. I don't like to have to adjust my time and relaxation around someone else whose preferences may be 180° different than mine. And others shouldn't have to adjust to my preferences either. Besides, I like (and need) the peace and solitude after a day with a group of people.....listen to some nice soothing music, surf the 'net a bit, read the newspaper or a book....or just sit and enjoy the peace and quiet!

Plus, I can always get together with fellow travelers in the lounge or sitting area of the hotel in the evening for a while.....if I want to! Or I can go to those areas by myself....if I want to!

Thanks Goonie, I think I will give that some thought. It probably will depend on the cost factor between having a room mate and not. I might be more comfortable by myself that way....in a group but not.

Oh!!!! There is nothing more beautiful (or scary dangerous) than Yellowstone in the dead of Winter. That would be among the top of my "must see and do" travel list.

Envy, envy,envy.
dh2b had some wacked out notion that I would actually enjoy going snowmobiling at Yellowstone in the winter. :nonono: He's a great guy otherwise. :LOL:
We're actually looking at fall. His w*rkplace has a huge certification inspection in September that he needs to be ready for in June, so our trip would be right after September. Or we may have to wait until the following year. :( TBD.
He turns 50 next year, and I want to treat him to something special. If not Yellowstone, I'm come up with Plan B, something here on the East Coast.

I am hoping for a small vacation (1 week) in February or March to a warm place, possibly Mexico, the Caribbean, or somewhere else in Central or South America with a beach.

In the summer, DH and I have tentative plans to go to Italy for 2 weeks. I have been dying to go for the last few years. I have checked out several books/CDs from the library and am teaching myself Italian. I really hope to catch an opera while we are there, ideally at La Scala. This season Daniel Barenboim is conducting Bizet's Carmen. Should be great!

2009 has been a good year for travel. In February I went to Seattle and Portland, as well as the Oregon coast. In March, traveled to Costa Rica for a couple of weeks. Was in Philly in April and September. In July/August, DH and I went on a road trip to the Dakotas, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier. We also flew to Washington DC for a weekend. We went up to Duluth and the North Shore of Lake Superior in late August. In September, we spent a week in Boston and Cape Cod. Over Thanksgiving we went to New York and saw an opera at the Met. In between these I traveled to Chicago about 15 times for work.

The good news is now I have enough frequent flyer miles for Italy...Can't wait!

10 Ways to Cut Your Travel Costs This Year

LAST year was arguably the year of the travel deal, with resorts and airlines practically begging for bookings, and many travelers finding bargain airfares and hotel rooms as a result. But airlines have cut back capacity, meaning there will be fewer seats going unsold, and resorts may not be as quick to cut rates to attract guests, now that the economy looks as if it might be on a slight rebound. So now is the perfect time to review your booking strategy. Here are 10 simple steps you can take to help cut your travel costs in 2010.

I'm not seeing the great travel deals of 2009 right now. Not as many cheap airfares.

Just booked 4 nights in Buenos Aires, and someone forgot to tell them there's a world wide recession going on!

Back
Top Bottom