2017 Estimated end of year Distributions for Mutual Funds - some already published

None of my VG funds in taxable accounts have any gains to speak of - hurray!

Even though I won't have any capital gains from my Vanguard fund (VFIAX), I will have a dividend distribution around 12/20 that will create taxable income. Y'all are smarter than me so I know you remembered that, but I didn't for a bit.

Right - Vanguard doesn't publish the dividend distributions until later.

From Vanguard's website

Date
(subject to change)What to look for
November 10, 2017
Preliminary capital gains estimates: List of Vanguard mutual funds and ETFs expected to distribute taxable capital gains, with scheduled record dates and preliminary capital gains estimates, as of October 31, 2017. Estimates of year-end capital gains for applicable Vanguard ETFs, broken down by short-term, long-term, and total gains. Estimates of total capital gains per share for all applicable remaining funds.
December 8, 2017
Updated and expanded estimates: Updated estimates of year-end capital gains for applicable Vanguard mutual funds and ETFs, broken down by short-term, long-term, and total gains, plus estimated income and qualified dividend income percentages, as of December 31, 2017.
December 18, 2017
Updated estimated breakdown: Distributions for Vanguard Managed Payout Fund, as well as estimates for any additional year-end 2017 distributions for this fund.

Dividends, being more predictable, are factored into our estimated taxes. With gains, all you can do is guess based on the last few years.

Even though I won't have any capital gains from my Vanguard fund (VFIAX), I will have a dividend distribution around 12/20 that will create taxable income. Y'all are smarter than me so I know you remembered that, but I didn't for a bit.

None of my VG funds in taxable accounts have any gains to speak of - hurray!

Index funds= low or no capital gains. VTSAX has not had capital gains distributed for years.

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX)
Also available as Investor Shares mutual fund and an ETF.

Overview Price & Performance Portfolio & Management Fees & Minimums Distributions News & Reviews

Distributions
Distributions for this fund are scheduled Quarterly

Dividend and capital gains distributions
Distribution Type Most Recent
Distribution Record Date Reinvest Date Payable Date Reinvest Price Distribution Yield SEC Yield
Dividend $0.26900 09/20/2017 09/21/2017 09/22/2017 $62.42 — 1.81% B
Dividend $0.28000 06/19/2017 06/20/2017 06/21/2017 $60.77 — —
Dividend $0.26400 03/22/2017 03/23/2017 03/24/2017 $58.50 — —
Dividend $0.35400 12/16/2016 12/19/2016 12/20/2016 $56.63 — —
Dividend $0.26200 09/09/2016 09/12/2016 09/13/2016 $53.86 — —
Dividend $0.22800 06/10/2016 06/13/2016 06/14/2016 $51.67 — —
Realized/unrealized gains as of 09/30/2017
Realized capital gain/loss –$0.10
Realized capital gain/loss as a % of NAV –0.16%
Fiscal year end 12/31/2017
Unrealized appreciation/depreciation $21.99
Unrealized appreciation/depreciation as a % of NAV 34.88%

I had a MLP restructure this year & thus have a 42% of the holding LTCG on our hands.

Oof, Primecap admiral, 4.47% CG distribution. That's going to wipe out my Cap loss carryover. I'll be ok this year, but the subsidy is worth a lot more next year and I won't make it with another CG distribution, and it always has one.

I need to think about punting the smaller subsidy for this year, and selling the fund off in favor of an index or two, so I don't get hit next year. I'd have to take $180K in gains though, just to save about $8500 on subsidies. I can't just move it to my Roth, since the fund is closed and existing investors are limited to $25K/yr purchases. I've got some in my Roth with the horse race, so I should be able to keep buying there if I want.

I guess it's a nice problem to have. Primecap has been really, really good. Almost 24% this year, compared to the 17% benchmark (S&P 500), and has been beating it about every year I've owned it, I think. Maybe a good time to take the money off the table though? If I give up on this year's subsidy, I can also convert more of my tIRA to Roth.

I've got some serious thinking to do before the end of the year.

Just checked T. Rowe Price - some distro estimates have increased significantly.

It’s a good time to check for revisions to estimates.

I don’t ink Fidelity has updated theirs yet, I looked a couple of days ago and they were still using Sept 30 as the “status”.

Last edited:
Not surprising- so far the estimates I'd gotten were smaller than 2016 and that didn't seem right with the way the market has gone this year. It sure makes tax planning messy since CG distributions can have a major effect on my tax liabilities and i'd really like to get an idea of whether I'll need to ante up more than I've already made in estimated payments.

IT does do expend on when the fund closes it’s books for the year. Many close on Oct 31 and what happens later in the year doesn’t matter.

Only had one big one paid out so far and it was very close to the estimate.

It’s a good time to check for revisions to estimates.

I don’t ink Fidelity has updated theirs yet, I looked a couple of days ago and they were still using Sept 30 as the “status”.

They have changed; I'm seeing "Estimated Year-End" as the status on many funds. I saw an increase in the total per share amount from the previous week.

Just checked T. Rowe Price - some distro estimates have increased significantly.

+1 My TRPrice estimates are up about 6% in total from the earlier report.

They have changed; I'm seeing "Estimated Year-End" as the status on many funds. I saw an increase in the total per share amount from the previous week.

Hmm - maybe I'm not seeing the latest link. Will check.

This is the link they are giving on their home page, so it must be the latest:
https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/information/year-end

OK - I see what you are saying. Although a lot of the funds has Sept 30 year end dates, there are several funds that are listed as status "Estimated Year-End" and it looks like they have been updated.

Yep - a few have gone up. Half my funds no change - they were on the Sept 30 year end.

Last edited:
Well, I just ran my first estimate of full year income for this tax year. Two of my top three equity holdings are active Vanguard funds, and both have sizable capital gains distributions this year. Just enough to push me up one bracket in Medicare MAGI. I had a nice plan but was too close to the next bracket.

Oh well. Robert Burns said it best.
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.”
If this holds when I run the numbers late this month, I might do a little rebalancing before year end, and take some of that gain now - and lower the risk of the same thing next year.

Back
Top Bottom