2017 YTD investment performance thread

12.75%, not bad for an amateur DIY. :D
That is very good! You are to be congratulated.

I don't mind looking before the end of September.

For comparison, here is a 50/50 balanced fund (all U.S.) that I feed twice a month (since Jan 1 2017).

Capital Research and Mgmt Co - American Funds American Balanced R6 Fund
Calculation started: 01/12/2017
Personal Performance 8.23%

Without new money, it is YTD return 9.45%.

Crazy good, I say.

As of the end of August, my benchmark was 8.4% and my portfolio was 8.7% so I don't have anything to be ashamed of either.

Wow! Been busy with other stuff an hadn't checked for a couple weeks.

YTD is 10.44% vs 10.16% for my benchmark. Very happy!

I need to break out the riding crop, and start whipping the small caps. Im getting close to all time highs.

When the crash happens, and im curled up in a ball on the floor crying. I'll be saying I used to have 2 commas.

But if your benchmark (similar asset allocation and risk) portfolio made 18%, then 12.75% is pretty bad.

true. Anything above 7% annual avg get's me to my goals so I am happy.

That is very good! You are to be congratulated.

I don't mind looking before the end of September.

For comparison, here is a 50/50 balanced fund (all U.S.) that I feed twice a month (since Jan 1 2017).

Capital Research and Mgmt Co - American Funds American Balanced R6 Fund
Calculation started: 01/12/2017
Personal Performance 8.23%

Without new money, it is YTD return 9.45%.

Crazy good, I say.

I'll take those #s any year.

I have not calculated my overall portfolio's IRR but our net worth is up ~15% YTD.

If these returns keep going up we are going to have to start threads about 8% SWR.

Retirement assets are up 10.6% YTD. This is beating my benchmarks YTD.

Total investable assets taking into account spending are up 9.4% YTD. Which is still beating my benchmarks!

Up 14% YTD (65%stock/35%fixed income). Total assets up significantly since I retired two years ago.

End of the 3rd quarter + 12.8%, the international portion is propelling this number. Im heavy in the small caps, they are lagging the big boys. In real terms, the dollar value is just shy of $500,000. :dance:

I want to enjoy this moment, when the crash comes I'll read this post, it might help me stop sobbing.:)

10.64% YTD Let the good times roll!

Slightly better than my benchmark which is 10.53% YTD.

Last edited:
I'm at 8.4% with about a 60/40 split (stock/bond) mostly index mutual Funds. I try to measure against the S&P and figure if I'm making 2/3 of that then i am doing Ok. But given some of the returns in this thread Im beginning to wonder.

YTD (September 30, 2017) returns for a collection of 'close-to' 60/40 funds (from Morningstar.com):

11.02% VSMGX Vg LifeStrategy Moderate Growth (60/40)
10.37% VTWNX Vg Target Retirement 2020 (56/44)
9.55% VBIAX Vg Balanced Index (60/40), no foreign
9.66% DGSIX DFA Global 60/40 I, small-cap & value tilted
9.83% VWENX Vg Wellington (65/35)
11.62% VTTVX Vg Target Retirement 2025 (64/36)
13.87% VGSTX Vg STAR (63/37)

Last edited:
When the crash happens, and I'm curled up in a ball on the floor crying. I'll be saying I used to have 2 commas.

I know- I just hit my 3rd million. Net worth up 9% since I retired in May, 2014. Wonder how long that will last.

September YTD: UBS account, which has about 2/3 of my investments up 12.3% after taking withdrawals into account, Fidelity up 11.9%. I'm close to 80% in equities.

I'm at 8.4% with about a 60/40 split (stock/bond) mostly index mutual Funds. I try to measure against the S&P and figure if I'm making 2/3 of that then i am doing Ok. But given some of the returns in this thread Im beginning to wonder.

YTD (September 30, 2017) returns for a collection of 'close-to' 60/40 funds (from Morningstar.com):

.....9.55% VBIAX Vg Balanced Index (60/40), no foreign....

SoReady, have you ever done a dive into the details to understand why you r portfolio returns are lagging? When I first read your post I thought that perhaps you had no foreign exposure since non-US equities have been on a tear this year, but the YTD return of the Vanguard Balanced Index fund causes me to wonder if it might be something else.

YTD July 2017 Investments Summary (53 Equity / 42 Fixed / 5 Cash)
  • 7.44% YTD Weighted Performance overall
401(k) Rate of Return is 19.5%. Can't slow it down.
From 01/01/2017 to 08/31/2017
  • 7.06% American Funds American Balanced R6 Fund
  • 22.92% American Funds New World R6 Fund
During the month I replaced two funds in my SEP-IRA with Wellesley.

YTD Sep 2017 Investments Summary (target: 53 Equity / 42 Fixed / 5 Cash)
  • 8.80% YTD Weighted Performance overall for the whole pie.
401(k) Personalized Rate of Return is 21.0%. Still can't slow it down. Even the 50/50 balanced component is out all night partying!
From 01/01/2017 to 09/29/2017
  • 8.55% American Funds American Balanced R6 Fund
  • 24.84% American Funds New World R6 Fund

I'm traveling now and plan to look at it closer when I return. I know that only about 10% was international, but I hesitate to chase returns at this point. My AA is set for 10%, and I think it has has crept up to 12%.

I really need to get on Personal Capital when I get back to see how some of these funds break out. It is hard when you buy in to a fund and then see that it may be allocated across some assets.

Back
Top Bottom