2017 YTD investment performance thread

YTD return: 11.16%:dance:
60/32/8

After 18 months of RE the portfolio is up 19.8%, after all spending.

Up just shy of 15% YTD. Planning to RE April '18, and hoping the correction doesn't de-rail that...

18.5% YTD in 401k. Both feet on the accelerator, and yes tail feathers are up. :)

Hope to retire 24-30 months if I don't get smoked when the correction eventually arrives. Until then, sequence of risk returns has been unbelievably favorable.

I love it, step on that gas pedal and enjoy the run, these are awesome numbers.

YTD Return 13.8% as of 9/30/2017, 74% stocks, 20% bonds (mostly Vanguard high yield bond fund), and 6% cash.

11.9% YTD.

That's every account (all-in) and spend-adjusted (3/4 of estimated annual spend added-back using the level spend 'money chip' technique we talked about here before).

I usually don't comment on my allocation because it's more complicated than domestic bond/equity split. But without getting to deep into it, it's on the order of 30% cash/fixed/bonds, 55% equities, and 15% REIT/hard assets. 2/3 of the equities are non-US. It's a version of the Marotta Gone Fishing portfolio, adjusted for the record high PE10/CAPE.

Here I was content with 9.4% on 60/32/8 AA. Only 11% international and a poorly performing small cap fund so should look at doing some homework soon,,, but not right now, it's gorgeous outside.

End of the 3rd quarter + 12.8%, the international portion is propelling this number. Im heavy in the small caps, they are lagging the big boys. In real terms, the dollar value is just shy of $500,000. :dance:

I want to enjoy this moment, when the crash comes I'll read this post, it might help me stop sobbing.:)

LOL! Enjoy the bull run while we can. I am happy that I've accumulated two years of my annual retirement budget in the last two years. If market crashes and wipes out the accumulation, I will join you in weeping. But if that happens, I suspect this thread will see a lot less posts.

Non-retirement stocks and bonds up 9.05% YTD. Retirement stocks/bonds up 11.01% YTD. Not as good as others, but with a planned retirement SWR at 3% or lower, I am more than happy.

Just checked. 11.70% YTD at 70/30 AA. Lagging fund is Diversified Real Asset Fund at 2.75%. Like others Global and Intl are doing well. Cheers.

Personal Capital says I am at 11.07% at 45/45/10 asset allocation, however I think that is falsely elevated it may count contributions.

Wow, it's month-end reporting time already. Time flies fast when one is having fun.

I looked back at my earlier posts, and the numbers were as follows.

1/31: 2.40%
2/10: 3.64%
2/15: 4.30%
2/21: 5.30%
2/28: 5.00%
3/01: 6.10%
3/31: 5.49%
6/30: 7.90%
7/29: 11.3%
8/31: 13.40%

Another month, another higher watermark for the portfolio. Would have been even better, if it were not for the call options that caused me to "lose" some good stocks at below current market values.

9/30: 15.5% YTD

The number is for all in, counting every penny including the ones in the checking account.

Current AA is 72% stock, with most the rest in cash like low-yield Stable Value and I-bonds, etc...

What has worked well the last month: EM, semiconductors, biotechs, and some energy stocks.

Last edited:
I want to enjoy this moment, when the crash comes I'll read this post, it might help me stop sobbing.:)

I still don't understand the sobbing part when your expenses are covered by pension and SS....

For us 10.58% YTD. Better than I expected with a 54% equities.

I still don't understand the sobbing part when your expenses are covered by pension and SS....

I like to cry, & complain. When the market took a dive in 2007-2009 you would have thought I was collecting cans to make ends meet.

Seeing a big minus sign on the monthly statements made me dizzy. I know it was just a paper loss, but I was still crying. Especially when I was surrounded by coworkers that had anticipated this downturn and all seemed to have pulled out the day before the dump happened. Funny I didn't remember any locker room chatter about this change of Asset Allocation, maybe I was in the can when this topic was covered. These were the same bunch that all seemed to sell me my loser tech stocks in 2000, seems I held them into bankruptcy and they sold them to me at the height of the bubble.

As far as Social Security covering my expenses I cry all the time Im going to probably get beat out of it, by the time I line up to collect. Those other 10,000 a day baby boomers are going to drain it before I get a drink from the fountain:LOL: .

Yes you are right, I cry, & its just on paper. But if the pension goes belly up, my investments have to kick in for a back up. My third back up is Social Security. Im like a airplane I like redundancy, in financial matters.:)

18.5% YTD in 401k. Both feet on the accelerator, and yes tail feathers are up. :)

Hope to retire 24-30 months if I don't get smoked when the correction eventually arrives. Until then, sequence of risk returns has been unbelievably favorable.
Well done[emoji106]

Good year so far in 401k. Balance grew from $679k to $810k. 12.8% return after factoring in contributions. Invested in T.Rowe 2030/S&P500/Stable Value.

The remainder of our portfolio is almost all Wellington 9.8% YTD.

Last edited:
Comment on 2/1: OK made me look. PRR for the year to date without cash is 2.15%. Including cash it is 1.93%. I'll take it.

Comment on 3/1: Updating my post above as of today. Up 3.77% not including cash. Including cash 3.39%. Not quite as much progress but happy with it anyway.

Comment on 4/29: Two months since I calculated our PRR. YTD is now 4.81% without cash and 4.38% with cash. Sold a bit of stock yesterday and bought some bonds.

Comment on 6/1: One month since I calculated our PRR. YTD is now 5.7% without cash, and 5.18% including cash. XIRR for a total year at this pace would be 12.99% including Cash. No plans to tinker with AA.

Comment 7/1: One month since I last calculated our PRR and also the mid year point. YTD PRR using XIRR formula is now 6.24% w/o cash and 5.69% including cash like instruments such as high yield savings, I bonds, and near term CD's. Not as much progress, but I would love to replicate these returns in the second half of the year.

Comment on 8/2: As of 7/31 XIRR 8.26% not including Cash, 7.51% including Cash. Big bump over last month and the Dow just hit 22,000 this morning. Fingers are crossed.

Comment on 9/2: As of 8/31/17 XIRR 8.64% not including Cash, 7.86% including Cash.
Meh.........

Comment on 10/1: As of 9/30/17 XIRR 9.99% not including Cash, 9.09% including Cash. Happy Dance. :dance:

AA: 54/41/5

Last edited:

Our Investment AA is close to yours and our returns are within .59% of yours. I guess math works.:LOL:

AA: 54/41/5

Last edited:
AA is bonds 20%, stocks 70% and cash 10% -- YTD is 12.4%. Couple more months and we we hit double commas. Retirement forms also submitted this month, count down is started t-minus 6 months and counting.

I like to cry, & complain. When the market took a dive in 2007-2009 you would have thought I was collecting cans to make ends meet.

Seeing a big minus sign on the monthly statements made me dizzy. I know it was just a paper loss, but I was still crying. Especially when I was surrounded by coworkers that had anticipated this downturn and all seemed to have pulled out the day before the dump happened. Funny I didn't remember any locker room chatter about this change of Asset Allocation, maybe I was in the can when this topic was covered. These were the same bunch that all seemed to sell me my loser tech stocks in 2000, seems I held them into bankruptcy and they sold them to me at the height of the bubble.

As far as Social Security covering my expenses I cry all the time Im going to probably get beat out of it, by the time I line up to collect. Those other 10,000 a day baby boomers are going to drain it before I get a drink from the fountain:LOL: .

Yes you are right, I cry, & its just on paper. But if the pension goes belly up, my investments have to kick in for a back up. My third back up is Social Security. Im like a airplane I like redundancy, in financial matters.:)

BCG; I've been following your comments for a while. If I'm not mistaken you were NYPD for your entire career. Thank you for your service. The part that floors me is that you have 5+ million in investments. Were you the COP, aka Tom Selleck.:D

BCG; I've been following your comments for a while. If I'm not mistaken you were NYPD for your entire career. Thank you for your service. The part that floors me is that you have 5+ million in investments. Were you the COP, aka Tom Selleck.:D

Thank you Sir for the kind words.

You have to love those small caps, and the fact I took my lump sum in December 2008, and put it to work. I only had 60 days to invest it, we took an AA and dumped it. It wasnt timing it was what we were forced to do at the time.I think its tripled-ish since then. I saved about 40-45k a year from the pension and DCA every week. That has grown very nicely too. We save less the last few years , Im trying to live large.

I worked 6 days a week at a night club, for the first 2 years after retirement, The money was great and I was so tired I hardly spent a dime. I would still be doing it but the owner lost his shirt, and stiffed every creditor he could find.:LOL:. He used to joke," BCG you realize your the only one thats making money in here tonight right"? That was $500 a night , the first year on a w-2 thru a security company, the second year he made me his independent contractor. He gave me $600 a day then as he said thats what he was paying the company for me. I saved those dollars like every day was my last, I knew he was going broke.

Its not 5 million, but on 12/31 it was 3,740,000. This year its up 479,000 , as of Sept 30th. I did get a lawsuit settlement too, it only had 1 comma.

I haven't earned 5 bucks in years, Hahaha. Im refining my crying skills, and helping out the aides care for my Mom.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom