2018 YTD investment performance thread

Turned negative for the second time in a couple months. Down $214 after contributions are subtracted for the year lol. That will update tomorrow morning down a bit more :(

Fun week, stocks went negative, work brought down the axe on c-suite and I said bye to a few good folks who did a lot of good work in IT, I hear bad things happen in threes, I better stay away from ladders and black cats. :facepalm:

I eeked out another 0.6% gain today by picking up pennies in front of a steam roller (buying 1000 SPY (S&P500) at the day low and selling it before close for a few thousand profit). I was interested in staying all cash through the weekend but was willing to buy and hold if it kept falling after my purchase. Normally I don't buy the index that often but just had got a little mesmerized watching it swing this way and that.

Still, nice to have your portfolio gain a few thousand on a day when the DOW drops 500.

Next year can't possibly be this good, can it?

Hah! (probably not the same today)

Yup... -1.5% YTD... but still less than half of -3.16% YTD for VSMGX. I guess that this might be one of those down years... 20 out of 92 and first since I retired... c'est la vie.

Like I keep saying, looking at any periods less than three years is silly... but still fun sport.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    40.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Yeah, thanks for reminding me of that.

For me, VSMGX is a better benchmark because it is 60/40 rather than 65/35 and more importantly this year, it includes international... I think the main reason I am beating VSMGX is that I have less international... 30% of equities rather than 46% and international has taken a beating this year... and I have avoided bonds and am in VMMXX.

I think that VWENX is doing so well because they don't have much international.

I eeked out another 0.6% gain today by picking up pennies in front of a steam roller (buying 1000 SPY (S&P500) at the day low and selling it before close for a few thousand profit). I was interested in staying all cash through the weekend but was willing to buy and hold if it kept falling after my purchase. Normally I don't buy the index that often but just had got a little mesmerized watching it swing this way and that.

Still, nice to have your portfolio gain a few thousand on a day when the DOW drops 500.

Next year can't possibly be this good, can it?
I did the reverse.On the close Thurs I bought SDS (2x short SPY) and sold it on
close Fri. I am done buying the dips and will trade from the short side for a bit!

I am up 141.59% YTD. I have been trading the volatility the past few weeks and have eeked out a little bit more gain.

I can't complain much.

Attachments

• yeardec.jpg
    yeardec.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 117
I won't look till the first of January 2019. I really don't want to either. LOL

I'll make an assessment over the weekend or just after Christmas, as time allows.
When I usually do it, so as to have some time to tweek any regular reallocating done in January. Rarely actually do a YTD anymore after I retired 3 yrs ago.
Really if someone had a crystal ball and told me exactly what would be happening now at this point in my retirement life, perhaps i would have been worried, but now, meh, it goes down, it goes up, life is good.

Something tells me this will change come tomorrow but -5.2% as of now with 60/36/4 AA.

I wasn't going to look until January 1, but I looked. Down 6.0%. But after five years of retirement, still up around 30%, so not complaining. And believe it or not, the domestic equities haven't hit the AA trip wire. Cash/Bonds are over the trigger, but the pain is spread across domestic and international equities.

Down 6.8% YTD and 10% from high set in late August.

I had planned on rebalancing my portfolio to my AA of 50/50 back in August when it had kept up to 54/46. Mr. Market balanced it for me. Ugh.

Down 6.1%, but still up around 5% from FIRE date, after three years’ withdrawals.

Down 6.1%, but still up around 5% from FIRE date, after three years’ withdrawals.

For us very new retirees (Aug 2017), our portfolios are down before and after withdrawals.:(

I guess this market is getting to me. I usually only calculate performance quarterly but couldn’t resist making a quickie calculation. Down <1% worst case (I think). Big relief. 60/15/25

I appear to be down about 4.66 % after adding back in my RMD withdrawal this year (IRA). I have no equities outside of the IRA, only CD's and 2% cash savings accounts.

My non-IRA cash accounts got plundered this year with the cost of DD's wedding (I guess that's what money is for though).

Back
Top Bottom