2018 YTD investment performance thread

So I was looking at the numbers and got motivated. I typed everyone who gave an AA and return into a spreadsheet (40 data points since markets closed on 12/31). I thought you might find this interesting.

Thanks for creating that, what a great idea! I guess one problem is that some people gave ROI, some net portfolio value and some net worth. May I ask what were you plotting when people gave more than one of those values?

Thanks for creating that, what a great idea! I guess one problem is that some people gave ROI, some net portfolio value and some net worth. May I ask what were you plotting when people gave more than one of those values?
Perhaps not consistent with data points for as you mentioned some included contributions in their return, some net of spend, and a mix of things but probably directionally correct. So I appreciate the plotting and sharing.

I didn't differentiate between IRR and net value. So if there was a percent change and an AA it went in. At least two cases folks specifically stated that their AA changed drastically during the year, so I left those out.

Perhaps not consistent with data points for as you mentioned some included contributions in their return, some net of spend, and a mix of things but probably directionally correct. So I appreciate the plotting and sharing.

I tried to stick to people that were talking portfolio performance and avoided net worth where mentioned. Tried to read between the lines on who was including withdrawals/contributions or not.

I didn't differentiate between IRR and net value. So if there was a percent change and an AA it went in. At least two cases folks specifically stated that their AA changed drastically during the year, so I left those out.

I tried to stick to people that were talking portfolio performance and avoided net worth where mentioned. Tried to read between the lines on who was including withdrawals/contributions or not.

Thanks for the additional info. Nice work!!!

I think it might be helpful when we start the 2019 thread to provide the guidelines that the 2017 thread came to a consensus on and I think we also discussed it at one time in 2018.

Best practice would be a XIRR where the beginning cash flow is the beginning of year balance, contributons are positive cash flows as of the dates of the contributions and distributions are negative cash outflows as of the dates of the distributions and the end of period balance is an outflow as of 12/31. In my case, I have an online savings account that is the middleman between the rest of my retirement portfolio and the local credit union accounts that I use to pay my bills.... so it is really easy for me to identify distributions.

Also accepted is the calculator at Investment Return Calculator: Measure your Portfolio's Performance

In fact, I have that calculation included in my spreadsheet as =AVERAGE(RATE(1,dividends & withdrawals,-starting balance,ending balance,1),RATE(1,dividends & withdrawals,-starting balance,ending balance,0)) and it comes out exact with the moneychimp calculator.

Finally, my withdrawals are fairly constant and the XIRR for 2018 was -3.45% and the moneychimp calculation was -3.46%... so if your conributions or withdrawals are farily constant then the moneychimp is a real good estimate of XIRR return.

Thanks for the scatter graph USGrant. I am an outlier, happily.

2018 - up 1.9% although I'd have to admit I've been out of the market now for a few years. 100% in short term CDs and Treasuries. Just for perspective my 5 yr cumulative return is only around 3%. For anyone else who's stayed in the market the past five years their cumulative total return should be much higher. I believe the 5 yr cumulative Total Return (dividend reinvested) of the S & P 500 is over 50% so I think one needs to keep the one year returns in perspective.

So I was looking at the numbers and got motivated. I typed everyone who gave an AA and return into a spreadsheet (40 data points since markets closed on 12/31). I thought you might find this interesting.

Interesting indeed, and thank you.

+1.62% been mostly parked in VOYA FIXED PLUS III since S&P was at 2666.
Should have gained +3% in VOYA but lost a pretty penny on 3 stocks at the end of the year.

I think it might be helpful when we start the 2019 thread to provide the guidelines that the 2017 thread came to a consensus on and I think we also discussed it at one time in 2018.

Every year, members discuss the guideline & agree on consensus somewhat. But some people comes in late to the thread without reading earlier "guideline" discussions and post whatever they think. Frankly, some don't get these simple terms: YTD investment performance. It's not hard to understand, really. Google "YTD" & "investment performance" and put them together using simple math. It's that simple, IMHO.

A while since I checked in. Full year results:

• Index trackers: -6%
  • Individual portfolio: -12%

Also had a full loss on a small VC investment, company went bust over Christmas.

Any foreign equities? -2.86 at 60/40 sounds pretty good.

No, no international equities. 60% Total Stock, 40% Total Bond, and I was looking at the Vanguard Balanced Index Fund to show that 2.86%. It seemed easier than doing calculations from the two funds to arrive at the number.

EDIT1 down -6.99% for 2018 @99% equities after including the remaining dividends.

1/4/2018 1.40%
2/1/2018 5%
3/1/2018 1.95%
4/1/2018 0.36%
5/1/2018 0.28%
6/1/2018 5.50%
7/1/2018 7%
8/1/2018 9.35%
9/1/2018 16.08%
10/1/2018 15.43%
11/1/2018 5.4%
12/31/2018 -6.99% YTD :facepalm::(

Edited, only down -6.99% after including dividends

Looks like my portfolio ended the year -2.4% ROI, but is +3.5% including contributions. I'm 100% equities, little international exposure, a lot invested in tech, 2/3 actively managed at TRowe. Perhaps makes a good argument for active management as I appear to have fared better than S&P and Nasdaq both.

Last edited:
Updated 2018 result for my primary retirement portfolio that mimics Vanguard’s 2030 target fund allocation (70/30) is -6.68%.

My last post was wrong. VG updated and -4.8% total portfolio. My Roth, 75% international, -12.8%.

Finished the year at at -5.7%, on something north of 95% equities. I have some TIAA/CREF lifestyle dated funds that took a big dump the last few days of December. I need to look into those more closely.

This is non-comparable, because we don't invest, and I know that overall,, we would have been better off, if we had trusted the market, rather than looking for security... but in the earlier days, 2000 to 2003, we put our $$$ into IBONDS, and a small fixed annuity. At the time, each person could put $30,000/yr into I bonds, and we took advantage with that.
We had retired early in 1989, at age 53, and had used out IRA's to cover expenses until we began SS in 1999. The balance of our assets went into the IBONDS... At that time, less than the CD rates, but the inflation rate part of the bonds, made sense, looking to the long haul.

While most of you were making good on your investments, we weren't doing as well, but knew what we had.

So... as to the 2018 status? Up just about 5%. more or less the same every year.

The other thing was.. we haven't had to pay income taxes for many years, and don't have to file a tax return (at least for this year). :LOL:

Last edited:
Finally squeezed in enough time between Holiday activities and pet care to finish evaluating this:

down 3.6% in 2018 with a 60/35/5 AA
about 40% of the fixed income is in Treasuries and that mainly TIPS
for the stocks, 25% is in international

not bad, the peak to trough number for 2018 is down 8.3%

Of course, we have a ways to go to see the bottom yet. As I mentioned in some post somewhere, I think only some good earnings reports, spread broadly across sectors, will stem the panic. We may not even get that if either, I'm way wrong and earnings are not that good in a broad sense or the media headlines are so well crafted to maintain the panic that the truth gets lost yet again

hang on folks, and I hope a happy 2019 to all despite the markets

This is non-comparable, because we don't invest, and I know that overall,, we would have been better off, if we had trusted the market, rather than looking for security... but in the earlier days, 2000 to 2003, we put our $$$ into IBONDS, and a small fixed annuity. At the time, each person could put $30,000/yr into I bonds, and we took advantage with that.
We had retired early in 1989, at age 53, and had used out IRA's to cover expenses until we began SS in 1999. The balance of our assets went into the IBONDS... At that time, less than the CD rates, but the inflation rate part of the bonds, made sense, looking to the long haul.

While most of you were making good on your investments, we weren't doing as well, but knew what we had.

So... as to the 2018 status? Up just about 5%. more or less the same every year.

The other thing was.. we haven't had to pay income taxes for many years, and don't have to file a tax return (at least for this year). :LOL:

I know many people that have never got involved in the stock market/mutual fund investing. Many of these are in there 50's today and haven't had one dime in the markets. They all seem to do well and are happy but most are still working. In the 80's my parents wouldn't of thought of investing in the markets and I started in 1980 and they thought I was crazy. LOL

I know many people that have never got involved in the stock market/mutual fund investing. Many of these are in there 50's today and haven't had one dime in the markets. They all seem to do well and are happy but most are still working. In the 80's my parents wouldn't of thought of investing in the markets and I started in 1980 and they thought I was crazy. LOL

But that's the key comment. They are still working. We have 2 close couple friends not in the market who seem to enjoy themselves, but are still working at 66 and 67 y.o.

Back
Top Bottom