2019 tax software

It's to stay in the habit. You're right, $5 or $10 really isn't worth the sweat. What about $50 or $100? Long term, not really. $500 or $1000? Where is the line? Instead of trying to choose a line where it matters, why not just be in the habit of always saving a buck when you can?

And there's the thrill of the hunt. Would you be happy about finding $5 on the sidewalk? I would be. I'm also happy to find a $5 off deal. Free money.

I must admit, last week I saw a penny on the parking lot, beside my car, I left it there, but did think twice about picking it up. Instead I drove away thinking, how careless and reckless I've become with money, just because I made it. :LOL:

At just a few days before BlackFriday and CyberMonday, I would definitely wait a bit before buying. I don’t remember seeing TT in the ads but I might have missed it. I know Norton 360 is going to be $9.99 on BF.

I must admit, last week I saw a penny on the parking lot, beside my car, I left it there, but did think twice about picking it up. Instead I drove away thinking, how careless and reckless I've become with money, just because I made it. :LOL:
In my early 20's, I traveled around Europe and one of my stops was Athens. I remember while there, some Athenians would show how "rich" they were by dropping "worthless" single drachmas (worth a fraction of a US penny) on the street which a few of us would pick up. With about 20 of them, we could buy a delicious souvlaki.

Last edited:
I just got my TT Deluxe and loaded it. You have the option this year to load it through Win7 or Win10/
I loaded it on Win 7 PC and it ran fine.

Good to know. So it's only the other TT versions, like Home and Business, that won't run under Windows 7?

We are frugal and doing the best that we can not to cross over that thin line between frugal and cheap.

Since we can well afford it, why is still a bit of a mystery to me.
With 30 odd years to go, a lot can happen to spoil the best of plans. I’m optimistic and not expecting the worst, but it’s hard to rule it out with 30 years to go and no chance to go back to work. Who knows, maybe we’ll all be surprised to the upside...fingers crossed.

Good to know. So it's only the other TT versions, like Home and Business, that won't run under Windows 7?
I think they will all run under Windows 7, But unless I bought the software, I could not guarantee it.

All versions will likely load and work on Windows 7 it just won't be supported by TT if you run into problems. Windows 7 will be end of life in January 2020, can't imagine any software vendor will continue to support it after that.

I always did our taxes until 1997 when we began to have several Sub S's to process returns for and carry over to our personal return. Those businesses are now closed(2017) so I have the bandwidth to handle a simple return again. Our CPA only charged $225 last year(first simple year plus no Sub S's) to do our return. I have 20 years worth of his meticulously prepared, bound returns in our files and I kind of like the feeling of these professional documents. For the $225, I can call this guy any time during the year with questions, something that I have repeatedly taken advantage of over the years, but I notice that I haven't asked him a single question this year. We have some cap gains, but nothing else other than 1099's, so I'm considering taking this project over again.

A couple of questions for those who don't mind taking the time to answer: Is the only difference between TT Deluxe and TT Premier, this hand holding approach that the more expensive software includes? And is there an additional cost beyond the price paid upfront to efile federal and state with either or both TT and H&R Block? I notice that some mentioned printing and snail mailing a return. H&R Block looks to be cheaper, but most seem to prefer TT. Can you tell me why?

Last edited:
I used Premier when I had a rental, but I use Deluxe now. Since all my trades are listed on 1099's it is easy to enter them. This includes, interest, dividends and capital gains distributions.

Last year Walmart had a sale on H&R Block tax software the Monday before Thanksgiving. http://www.early-retirement.org/for...nt-brand-export-data-94591-2.html#post2144141

Hopefully they will do the same tomorrow.
I looked just now and it was still $35. Since my state is so easy, I usually get the basic, no state version, but last year I got fed+state from Walmart for $19.49, so an extra $5 over the basic regular price.

Last year, I let my daughter use the state download and I did what I usually do...just write the numbers from the federal form onto the state form...good old pen and ink to do the state.

I looked just now and it was still $35. Since my state is so easy, I usually get the basic, no state version, but last year I got fed+state from Walmart for $19.49, so an extra $5 over the basic regular price.

Last year, I let my daughter use the state download and I did what I usually do...just write the numbers from the federal form onto the state form...good old pen and ink to do the state.

I suspect your daughter is in a different State.

I do 4 returns each year all in IL, and print off the State returns for each person to file by mail.
I e-file all 4 returns for the Federal, as 5 federal e-files are included with H&R Block.

If we can't talk Fidelity into giving it to us, we usually buy our TT software in Jan or Feb. It's as cheap as prices offered near the end of the prior year.

H&R Block looks to be cheaper, but most seem to prefer TT. Can you tell me why?
The year I tried H&R Block I got two letters from the IRS and had to file amended returns. Once was because it failed to fill out the foreign tax credit form because I couldn't use it that year, but it got flagged when I tried to carry it over the next year. The other was that it didn't do something right with a Roth recharacterization. I also don't like that it doesn't show the QDiv & LTCG worksheet, which is how my taxes are always calculated. It's buried somewhere that's harder to find. And it doesn't index the pdf output, which makes it harder to find specific forms. Spending $20 extra on TT is easily worth it to me. A letter from the IRS (especially now that refunds are directly deposited) is never a welcome sight.

Others have had problems with TT, so each program has it's detractors. I just haven't had issues in many years of using TT. There's a guy on here who claims TT filled in made up numbers from his inputs. I still have my doubts about that, but it shows that TT isn't universally considered better.

TT Deluxe with 1 Free State Filing usually goes down to about $39 around Dec 31st.

I'm going to wait til then to click on the buy button :popcorn:.

I have followed your advice on this for several years, and so far it has worked for me.

So anyway, I am going to wait until after Christmas and then watch the price of TT Deluxe on Amazon like a hawk. I always buy TT from Amazon so that I can get the 5% rewards with my Amazon Visa card, essentially an extra $2 off.

H&R Block looks to be cheaper, but most seem to prefer TT. Can you tell me why?
For me, I used to try whichever was cheaper each year until one year I felt I needed expert confirmation on my research on an issue (educational expense deduction). I paid H&R Block for "expert advice", and they told me it didn't qualify, but their reasoning was thin to nonexistent, which bothered me, but they were the experts, so I filed following their advice. I kept researching for a couple of months after filing, and it turns out that there was IRS guidance specifically covering my situation, I just hadn't been searching the terms the IRS used. The "expert advice" I paid for was directly contradicted by the IRS!!

I filed an amended return and a complaint with the BBB asking for the "expert advice" fee to be refunded, which they fought me on! :mad:

.. H&R Block looks to be cheaper, but most seem to prefer TT. Can you tell me why?

I used TT a long time ago, it was fine, but I noticed H&R Block (taxcut) was cheaper , so made the switch to save the $30.

I've now used H&R Block for many years, never had an issue. In the past TT would not provide certain forms unless you purchased the correct higher priced version, a marketing idea that turned out badly for them.

I do 4 tax returns each year with the 1 copy.

I have followed your advice on this for several years, and so far it has worked for me.

So anyway, I am going to wait until after Christmas and then watch the price of TT Deluxe on Amazon like a hawk. I always buy TT from Amazon so that I can get the 5% rewards with my Amazon Visa card, essentially an extra $2 off.

If my memory serves me right, I think on Black Friday, TT Deluxe usually goes down to about $49.99. But after Christmas when attention really turns to taxes, prices should drop to about $39.99. That's been my buy signal as I've price tracked and in years past and haven't seen the price dip below $39.99 at Amazon before tax day.

Last edited:
If my memory serves me right, I think on Black Friday, TT Deluxe usually goes down to about $49.99. But after Christmas when attention really turns to taxes, prices should drop to about $39.99. That's be my buy signal as I've price tracked and in years past and haven't seen the price dip below $39.99 at Amazon before tax day.

Great advice like this is why I feel it literally pays ($$$!) to read the ER forum each day. :) Thank you.

At Costco, FWIW

• 2019 TT Deluxe is regular $39.99, discount?
  • 2019 TT Deluxe w 1 state is regular $49.99, will be discounted to $39.99 in late Jan
  • 2019 TT Premier w 1 state is regular $69.99, will be discounted to $54.99 in late Jan
I've been buying the latter ever since Vanguard quit giving it to me for "free."

Last edited:
IMO the user interface is better in TT, not that it's perfect.
I'm annoyed by H&R Block Tax software making it very difficult to get any numbers out of the software for use elsewhere. There's no 'export'. They don't even allow anything at all to be selected and copied (for pasting into a spreadsheet, for instance).

I'm glad I probably spend less time doing my taxes with the free fillable forms than many spend looking for the best software deal. However I do spend a disproportionate amount of time optimizing my future tax obligations.

I used Turbo Tax for years until that year that they suddenly were going to take .... something ... from the Deluxe version. I don't recall if it was itemized deductions or what but it was something not all that complex. They got huge flack over it and reversed course but I switched to H&R Block and never looked back. That said, I did find Turbo Tax a bit easier to work with. I am thinking of buying TT this year.

I think I have to file a return for my mom's estate for 2019. I sold her house. I don't think anything will be taxable. I got an analysis from a real estate of its value just a week or so before her death. I did sell it for more than that less than a year later, but in the meantime I put on a new roof and repaired the foundation. Between that and the costs of selling, I don't think there will be any taxable income. But I think I will need to file a return anyway?

Unfortunately you can't file a return for an estate using TT or H&R Block so I will probably hire someone to do the return for me.

Back
Top Bottom