2020 Storm Season

Well, turns out that Cristobal wasn't #3. So far all we had was maximum wind gusts of 25 mph, and and 1.6" of rain. Pfft. Pretty much an average rainstorm so far (for New Orleans, anyway).

We had 3" of rain in one afternoon/evening storm a week ago. Peanuts! :D

A day or two ago predictions for us were 8-10" of rain, with up to 20" in isolated locations, and 50-60 mph winds. Luckily none of that happened in our case (at least so far). Predictions for us now are improving rapidly. Best wishes for your relatives in Houma and I hope they are OK too.
Thanks... If it doesn't stall out it looks like "you guys" dodge another bullet. :greetings10: So far the forecasters have called the speed, timing and direction pretty well on this one. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Thanks... If it doesn't stall out it looks like "you guys" dodge another bullet. :greetings10: So far the forecasters have called the speed, timing and direction pretty well on this one.

I know those guys (used to work with that group now and then, anyway) and they are very bright, conscientious, hard working, and well trained meteorologists. Weather forecasting is still an inexact science, and while great advances have been made in hurricane prediction, it's still not perfect. Even so I do think they do the best that is humanly possible given our present state of the art.

Best comment of the thread! LOL

Frank says bad things happen in threes. He's always right. Pandemic, riots, and what's #3? Cristobal? Right now the NHC says Cristobal should get here on Sunday morning.

Meanwhile, I guess I am reasonably prepared. Monday should be quite a day. Cristobal (perhaps still?), my 72nd birthday, and I have a Prime Pantry delivery scheduled. :banghead: I suspect we will skip the gym and just stay home on Sunday and/or Monday, keep an eye on Cristobal, and wait it out.

Glad to hear you have plans in order. Hope all goes well there.

Glad to hear you have plans in order. Hope all goes well there.

Cristobal is gone from our area, thank goodness! We still have hot, rainy weather predicted but nothing tropical. Frank is going to take me out for a birthday lunch. Other than that and my Prime Pantry delivery, all I have to do today is adjust to the crazy reality that I am now 72 years old. I don't feel any older yet! :LOL:

Cristobal is gone from our area, thank goodness! We still have hot, rainy weather predicted but nothing tropical. Frank is going to take me out for a birthday lunch. Other than that and my Prime Pantry delivery, all I have to do today is adjust to the crazy reality that I am now 72 years old. I don't feel any older yet! :LOL:

Happy Birthday! :dance: :dance:

These days, hurricane preparedness for me means clearing out the guest room(s) for family members (a.k.a. refugees). We are far enough away from the coast (150+ miles) so we don't worry about high hurricane winds and we don't flood around here no matter how much it rains (unless it's 40 days and nights :))

However we are close enough for family members to reach us (maybe) in case of an evacuation.

That's us- 75 miles away from the gulf, but there is always a risk we'll flood, even in Spring (for which we have ins.). We don't evacuate... just hunker down & be prepared all of the time.

I hope your lunch is lovely. Going to pick up some TexMex today for a treat.

I live in SC, survived HUGO. I've learned that the only thing the news media tries to do is make everyone frightened so they can increase viewers and sell advertising slots. Hype, hype, fear and hype. Just be prepared.

I live in SC, survived HUGO. I've learned that the only thing the news media tries to do is make everyone frightened so they can increase viewers and sell advertising slots. Hype, hype, fear and hype. Just be prepared.

I, of course, have never survived a hurricane and seen devastation actually hundreds of times worse than what was ever depicted on national news media. :rolleyes: Yeah right. Money and politics are not involved, nope, couldn't be.

To read a user's profile, click on their username to the left of their post.

Back
Top Bottom