2022 Hulu Black Friday Deal

Thanks,
I got the deal last year when it was 99 cents, I find they put on about 4 -> 5 sets of commercials per 55 minute show, a total of 6->9 minutes of commercials per hour very roughly stated.

While we liked the deal, I'm actually thinking of upgrading to the full $15 price for a month or two of more binging on Hulu.

Here is my reasoning: 3 hours watching per night = minimum 18 minutes of commercials.
25 nights in a month = 25*18 = 450 minutes of commercials which is 7.5 hours.

$13 (cost difference between no commercial an with commercials)/7.5 = $1.73 per hour of commercial

Is worth it to pay $1.73 maximum or less to avoid the commercials while we watch, which is about $0.26 cents per night ?

I don't care about commercials, I grew up with them and that's potty time, make a snack, read e-mails or let the dog out/in. I'm not 100% sure I'll do it this year either, I may just binge watch every few months with different services. I'm still reading through the comment in Slickdeals but it seems that when you get to checkout they offer to add Disney + for $3 which some might be interested in but not me.

I got the 99¢ deal last year. I just canceled it last week as the price is going up to the full normal amounts.

HULU has some interesting shows, but the number of commercials is just to high, IMO, to justify paying more than a buck or two a month. And, all too often they are the same commercial over and over and over and over and over....... again.

I just totally cut cable. I went with FIOS fiber 500/500 for $45. Hulu/Disney/ESPN is $15. Peacock is $5. Discovery+ is $5. Now paying $70 ($75 after tax) instead of $160 for 250mb internet, basic cable plus 10 "choice select" stations. I have more now then I did before.

I did all the services with ads. I can deal with 5 minutes of ads per hour, especially since we only watch 2 hrs of television a day.

I did the Hulu deal a couple years in a row but didn't see much content worth watching even at that bargain price.

I just totally cut cable. I went with FIOS fiber 500/500 for $45. Hulu/Disney/ESPN is $15. Peacock is $5. Discovery+ is $5. Now paying $70 ($75 after tax) instead of $160 for 250mb internet, basic cable plus 10 "choice select" stations. I have more now then I did before.

I did all the services with ads. I can deal with 5 minutes of ads per hour, especially since we only watch 2 hrs of television a day.
They are in process of installing FIOS in my street so thanks for the pricing info. I'm in a different state but it gives me an idea on pricing for a new customer. If I get offered 500/500 for $45 I'll be very happy and Spectrum will have competition so I can go back and forth between them each year for the best price.
The Britbox deal is also available now, 2 months for $1.99 a month if you're interested.

I got the 99¢ deal last year. I just canceled it last week as the price is going up to the full normal amounts.

HULU has some interesting shows, but the number of commercials is just to high, IMO, to justify paying more than a buck or two a month. And, all too often they are the same commercial over and over and over and over and over....... again.
It's worth $2 to me with commercials, but not a penny more. I mentally tune them out and find something to do when they come on.

I’m on the fence. Really didn’t use it much last year.

Yeah, drives me nuts!

I did the Hulu deal a couple years in a row but didn't see much content worth watching even at that bargain price.
The Dropout and Killing Eve were two series well worth watching. That's been about it.

Last edited:

+1. I could have written this myself. We did find an ABC show we like, but can get it on the ABC app with commercials as well. (No OTA reception here.)

Not sure we will renew this time. Only Murders in the Building is great, but we watch nothing else on Hulu.

If I used the deal for the last 12 months, do I need to delete my account before signing up for this new deal?

If I used the deal for the last 12 months, do I need to delete my account before signing up for this new deal?

After thinking it over, I signed up again. It recognized my email address and said that I wasn’t eligible. I switched to a new email address and set up a new account with a different credit card. So, I don’t think your old account will work for this new deal.

Last edited:
After thinking it over, I signed up again. It recognized my email address and said that I wasn’t eligible. I switched to a new email address and set up a new account with a different credit card. So, I don’t think your old account will work for this new deal.

For other folks that don't have extra email addresses:

If you are using gmail, you can add + to your name, so instead of: john123@gmail.com , it would be john123+2022@gmail.com

The + added email will come to your normal gmail account. Anything can be after the +

Not sure we will renew this time. Only Murders in the Building is great, but we watch nothing else on Hulu.

We liked that series.
We also watched the handmaidens.
We currently like the Americans (spy story).
All quiet on the Western Front was poorly done, having British english accents as German soldiers :facepalm: But the no-man's land looked pretty real (as in horrible to be there).

I will switch to the fully paid version, but only keep Hulu long enough to see some stuff, then cancel it, and go to something else.

It’s apparently smart enough to not let me re-enter my same account for the discount again this year. And trying DW’s email for a new account setup didn’t work either. So, it’s somehow wise to that.

Guess I don’t want it that bad to try and figure out how to further trick it. If they don’t want existing customers to get the price they’re offering new customers then forget them.

I got the Hulu Black Friday deal last year and it is expiring. I like a couple of the shows like "The Bear" and "Only Murders in the Building," but I don't watch much. I might pay a couple of dollars a month, but not what they are charging. So, I just canceled my subscription.

I might try HBO Max. There is a Black Friday deal for that and one for Discovery:

https://variety.com/2022/shopping/news/best-hbo-max-deal-offer-1235439129/

How do you get around the new credit card having your same name as the previous credit card? TIA!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom