2023 Investment Performance Thread

There are some great returns from you folks. I don't believe I ever been greater than the teens in percentages.

Great job!!

The reason why my YTD performance is so good is that my AA = 100% equities (excluding rentals). Additionally, while the majority of my portfolio is in VOO and VTI, I also have have QQQ and some individual stocks. Personally, I had hoped to be 100% in VOO, VTI, and QQQ but I wasn't able to convert the individual stocks to ETF's during the 2022 bear because I didn't want to take a tax hit.

Last edited:
Portfolio up 12% XIRR YTD. Happy to have new portfolio high and so far over $75k of dividends and distributions and interest YTD. Still working and adding to the pot, happy with our asset allocation and ease of self directed portfolio that takes very little thought.

The reason why my YTD performance is so good is that my AA = 100% equities (excluding rentals). Additionally, while the majority of my portfolio is in VOO and VTI, I also have have QQQ and some individual stocks. Personally, I had hoped to be 100% in VOO, VTI, and QQQ but I wasn't able to convert the individual stocks to ETF's during the 2022 bear because I didn't want to take a tax hit.

Gotcha!!! Still, you are one that did very well, and good on you.

Lazy Portfolios Link

For your reference, and enjoyment!
:dance:

Lazy Portfolios
A lazy portfolio is a set-and-forget collection of investments that require little or no maintenance. Most portfolios consist of a small number of low-cost funds that are easy to implement and rebalance. Lazy portfolios are designed to perform well in most market conditions, making them the perfect choice for long-term investors. Here you can find a list of the most popular lazy portfolios implemented with ETFs.
https://portfolioslab.com/lazy-portfolios

My self managed IRA is up 20.98% YTD. A small trading account, not on the above, is up 153% YTD. It's almost back to where I started. [emoji848]

+13% YTD inclusive of spending on a 50/44/6 internationally diversified, index fund portfolio, with 6% Bitcoin.

Can't believe that my 94 YO MIL is trouncing me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 8.01.59 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 8.01.59 AM.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 33

Interesting and looks like about 2 to 3%. Just doing nothing and not having the mix has always shown to have good results.

Thanks for giving that comparison.

Hard to tell exactly what's happening there, but she gets more reward for more risk is my guess.

I just realized that my fixed income investment returns this year will come very close to matching my final annual salary before retirement. (And I was way over paid, IMO) Of course that was 10 years ago, but still....:)

I rechecked my math... Just hope I'm not dreaming.

Last edited:
16.8% YTD as of July 31st on 88/12. Almost recovered losses from 2022.

Don’t jinx anything! :LOL::LOL:

Too late. :cool:

S&P down -1.3%, Nasdaq down -2.0%, as of this writing.

I saw that the futures were down in the early morning. Went back to sleep, and woke up late at 7:30AM my time, and saw that the market was indeed down.

Got busy buying back my covered calls which got down to pennies on the dollar, some I just sold on Monday, 2 days ago. Made a few $K, which is less than 1/10 of what the market costs me today, but that's the few $K I would not have if I did not do option selling.

I am looking to sell covered puts now, to buy back some shares that I was forced to sell via call assignments just days ago. The question is whether I set the strike price at the same that I sold or lower.

Last edited:
YTD on 7/31: 11.9%, on a stock AA of 63.7%.

I think I am behind the S&P even after adjusting for the AA. This is because of the resurgence of the FAANG stocks this year, of which I have none.

In addition, my oil/gas stocks have not been doing well, although they did well for me last year. They started to slump in March, but recently are showing signs of life.

PS. Yes, a benchmark of 65% SPY + 35% short-term Treasury would return 14.4%, better than my portfolio.

Last edited:
Late on posting June results.

June +3.0%
YTD +8.6%
YoY +10.8%
Since high (12/31/21) -4.9%
Since 12/31/20 +6.4%
Since 12/31/19 +21.7%

Hurt by asset allocation (40% equities), helped by specific securities (largest single equity AAPL, MSFT ), hurt by house projects (spending continues, over 30K so far).

Traveling, so not a lot of time to update spreadsheets. Through 7/29:
July +1.0%
YTD +9.7%
YoY +6.4% (2022 July was +4.4%, one of the few up months last year)
Since high (12/31/21) -4.0%
Since 12/31/20 +7.3%
Since 12/31/19 +23.0%

Actual month end (July 23) would have been slightly higher (Monday 7/31/23 was an up market day).

Still under 40% equities, so not bad given allocation.

As of 1-Aug-23 for our Total Portfolio, we are + 11.1% from 1-Jan-23.

Current Asset Allocation is approximately 54% Equities, 30% Bonds, 16% Cash.

+10.49% YTD on 50/45/5 Bitcoin portfolio. -2.46% for August.

Man, these months fly by!

Last edited:
On our Schwab portfolio with an AA of 65.5/34.5 equity/fixed income we are..

YTD +4.89% ending January
YTD +3.34% ending February
YTD +5.50% ending March
YTD +6.18% ending April
YTD +6.34% ending May
YTD +11.06% ending June
YTD +14.64% ending July
YTD +13.07% ending Aug

11.66% YTD end of trading today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom