2023 Investment Performance Thread

Retirement portfolio YTD through Q1 6.82% vs benchmark VTHRX (Vanguard Target Date 2030) 5.67%.

Stock/bond balance follows VTHRX (64/36).

Nice window dressing bump on Friday, which will probably get taken away, but +3.8% YTD (all-in) with 2/3 equities. Inflation YTD is about 1.5% though.

+6.22 % YTD. AA 83/17 nice to see a positive quarter.

Hard to calculate for us, as we sold rentals and they increased dramatically in price...we have put that money in our FIDO after-tax investment account. But as rough numbers, if you exclude the rental gains we're up about 4.5% this year on AA of 18% ETFs/72% fixed (not including the rentals in our AA). Unfortunately we locked in some 3- year fixed investments at 1.8%/year when rates were low...will be nice to see those roll off.

Our real winners the past 2-3 years have been our rentals. If you include the dramatic appreciation on our rentals, we're up considerably...most of them appreciated 18-20% PER YEAR the past 2-3 years. We sold all 5 in the past 18 months, so significant gains in that section of our portfolio.

Last edited:
AA = 100% equities (excluding rental properties which I don't include in number)
YTD = 11.36%

Up 2.7% YTD, AA 30% stocks, 60% fixed income, 10% cash.

We're up 4.34% YTD. Dividend stocks in our Investment account are the laggards (a negative effect of rising interest rates, but the divis keep coming in). Index funds in retirement accounts are the winners (so far).

Fidelity is rolling out a new "Accounts" page on their website. Some of the updates I don't really like, but they have changed the "Performance" tab so it is updated the first of each month instead of 8-10 days later as they used to do.

BrianB

Up a little bit (after withdrawals) through no fault of my own.

YTD +6.11% *Taxable Account*

Leaders: Apple, ARK Innovation, B&G Foods, Five Below, First Solar, Google, SOXL, Tesla, Warner Brothers Discovery

Laggards: Abbott Labs, American Water Works, ConAgra, Generac, Honeywell, Johnson & Johnson, McCormick, 3-M

Last edited:
YTD 3%. 45% stocks/25% FI/30% RE.

6% for just the stocks/bonds.

Jan '23: +9.5% lol. I'll take it. Don't expect it to stick around though.
Feb '23: +7%.
Mar '23: +13% 99% Stocks, dividends included

1/31: 5.6%, stock AA of 58%.
2/28: 4.4%, stock AA of 62%.

3/31: YTD 4.14%, stock AA of 71%

Natural resource stocks such as oil/gas, fertilizer and metal mining hurt the return this month, while tech stocks were up but not enough to offset the former.

And many OTM puts got assigned, boosting up the stock AA.

YTD +5.4% 66/34

My proprietary model has stocks gaining another 11.5% (by year end).

+1.90% 2023 YTD on Portfolio Balance.

+2.87% performance for benchmark American Funds American Balanced R6 RLBGX 50/50
Excel error caused by old guy.

2023 YTD is actually +3.41% on 50/50 portfolio.

Actual performance would be close to that RLBGX YTD.

YTD +8.4% 70/30

Bonds snapped back and boosted things. 1 year -7% still. S&P down -9.5% in the same timeframe, so seems to be tracking with AA.

Just returned from our 5 week dive trip so finally able to scare up some numbers.

Jan YTD +5.8%
Feb YTD +3.4%
Mar YTD +6.4%

Current AA 81/19

On our Schwab portfolio with an AA of 65/35 equity/fixed income we are..

YTD +4.89% ending January
YTD +3.34% ending February
YTD +5.50% ending March
YTD +6.18% ending April

Back
Top Bottom