2023 Investment Performance Thread

To everyone who posted before 7 pm today - how are you getting accurate numbers on mutual funds? It’s been my experience that mutual funds are not updated until about 3 hours after market close (7 pm ET).

To everyone who posted before 7 pm today - how are you getting accurate numbers on mutual funds? It’s been my experience that mutual funds are not updated until about 3 hours after market close (7 pm ET).
I can’t do it until the next morning when I see all the end of month distributions paid out to my various accounts. The quotes aren’t enough.

As of 1-Apr-23 we are up 2.2% from 1-Jan-23.

Current Asset Allocation is approximately 51% Equities, 33% Bonds, 16% Cash.

I just added it up this morning, and here's the update...

1/31/2023: +7.08% YTD.
2/28/2023: +4.22% YTD.
3/31/2023: +7.18% YTD.

+1.90% 2023 YTD on Portfolio Balance.

+2.87% performance for benchmark American Funds American Balanced R6 RLBGX 50/50

I can’t do it until the next morning when I see all the end of month distributions paid out to my various accounts. The quotes aren’t enough.

From Fidelity - it’s usually within an hour of market close that my mutual funds are updated. Exception is if there is a dividend in payout - might be 24 hours for everything to settle

YTD +4.80%. So, still down from my high in Dec. 2021 of +18%. Also, up from my low point of -21% in October of 2022.

So, all in all, a lot to be happy about and it is how you look at things. The glass half full or a glass half empty.

Last edited:
From Fidelity - it’s usually within an hour of market close that my mutual funds are updated. Exception is if there is a dividend in payout - might be 24 hours for everything to settle
Sure, I can get the quotes a few hours after market close - that’s not the issue. I always have several end of month distributions that add to the YTD return, and those aren’t provided until after midnight.

My monthly distributions are also done within minutes of market closing - they are fidelity’s funds as well.

It might be the actual funds selected ?

Sure, I can get the quotes a few hours after market close - that’s not the issue. I always have several end of month distributions that add to the YTD return, and those aren’t provided until after midnight.

I have two funds that don't post their updates until after midnight. One of them is my current 401k, which is with Schwab. The second is my old 401k from my McDonnell-Douglas/Boeing days. I can't remember if it got rolled over into an IRA or not, but it's with Fidelity.

Oddly, I also have a rollover IRA with Schwab, as well as a rollover and two inherited IRAs with Fidelity, but those always update after the market close. Fidelity, usually between 5:30-6pm, and the Schwab, by 6:30 or so.

I have a few MMAs, that post their monthly dividends just after midnight. In the past, it wasn't enough to worry about (although I'd always wait for final updates because I can be a bit OCD), but these days it's a bit more significant.

Last edited:
YTD 6.60 with 50/25/25. Cash is in Treasury Money Market for house spend in June 2023.

Last edited:
First quarter 2023 investment gain based on time weighted return and including dividends, interest and fees was 8.1%.

Big winners were the road kill of 2022 - NVDA, AMZN, AAPL and QQQ. And oh yeah the little bit of BTC that I hold in hopes that bitcoin will hit a million before I die.

Tempering those gains were losses on energy holdings - OXY, COP, FANG and HES.

8.1% versus 5.5% for the SP500 - sure I’ll take it.

And we start it all over again on Monday.

As of 1-Apr-23 we are up 2.2% from 1-Jan-23.

Current Asset Allocation is approximately 51% Equities, 33% Bonds, 16% Cash.

That seems off a little, are you calculating it correctly or is someone else doing this calculation. Total US market up 7.16% and total US Bond is up 3.16%. Maybe that is counting your withdrawals?

VW

So, all in all, a lot to be happy about and it is how you look at things. The glass half full or a glass half empty.

My half full is our NW went up 1, (.2) & 1.7 year's expenses Jan/Feb/Mar... So we're up 2.5 years spending this quarter.

Hard to get actual numbers when there's still income and too many accounts. We're up 6.3% overall on a very conservative AA & income.

March delivered us our best month ever by 40%...crazy stuff.

Last edited:

What is this "fund mutual" thingy? :D

I own just about no mutual funds, except for money market. ETF's yes, but mostly individual stocks and bonds. For precious metals, I use spot price (which underestimates value).

January +6.7% excl contrib, +7.6% incl contrib, NW +5.9%
February -2.4% excl contrib, -1.9% incl contrib, NW -1.1%
March +1.2% excl contrib, +1.7% incl contrib, NW +1.3%
YTD +5.3% excl contrib, +7.3% incl contrib, NW +6.0%
Investments from 12/2021 peak -2.7% incl contrib
Actual AA 76/19/5, target AA 74/20/6

Up a hair less than 5% on 65/35. Stubbornly holding onto my ev stocks.

2022 year end (19.37%)

2023 YTD 10.73%

1/1/2022 to date (11.08%)

8/1/2016 (FIRE date) to date 17.71% or roughly 2.6% per year (not CAGR)

YTD up 4.73% with a 55/45 stock/fixed allocation.

+15.53% YTD.

Down 10.2% from peak.

Back
Top Bottom