2023 Investment Performance Thread

Jan '23: +9.5% lol. I'll take it. Don't expect it to stick around though.
Feb '23: +7%.
Mar '23: +13% 99% Stocks, dividends included
Ooops, I realize I missed April, and May
Jun '23 +24.7%
Jul '23 +29% Losing to Nasdaq but on par with my A/A since I have about 42% of the portfolio in Small/Mid cap and the rest Mega. I should really stop farting around and just go all MegaCap MGK
Aug '23 +26%. Went backwards a tad.
Sep '23 +18.5%. Went backwards even more... whee![
Oct '23 +14.1% More Whee!! Although as I post I've recovered 5.2%

Was a little slow posting the numbers because we were too busy having fun down in Key West for our anniversary!

It's fun sometimes to compare notes like this, but I can't be terribly accurate because I don't keep a transaction portfolio at all. I can tell you that I'm still off my high-point at the start of 2022 by -6.2% tonight.

Taxable is still much smaller than the amount in retirement.
But here ya go. Total unrealized gains and losses:
BHB -3.01% regional bank.
ET +18.07. (But not precise. I just bought some shares today.) oil/gas midstream.
NHYDY -11.04 aluminum, clean energy.
PSTL -10.73. REIT.
TS +11.8 (if only it wasn't so small of a position!). oil/gas tubular goods.

Hahaha. The kids always discard these ! I've had a couple already.
I put some in the freezer. But my wife took the remainder to the office.

We had a young child come to the door, and she told us she does not like those. I was thinking, good for me.

It's fun sometimes to compare notes like this, but I can't be terribly accurate because I don't keep a transaction portfolio at all. I can tell you that I'm still off my high-point at the start of 2022 by -6.2% tonight.

Taxable is still much smaller than the amount in retirement.
But here ya go. Total unrealized gains and losses:
BHB -3.01% regional bank.
ET +18.07. (But not precise. I just bought some shares today.) oil/gas midstream.
NHYDY -11.04 aluminum, clean energy.
PSTL -10.73. REIT.
TS +11.8 (if only it wasn't so small of a position!). oil/gas tubular goods.
At the beginning of this month we were down about 10% from the high water mark 1/1/2022.

+19.8%, not including spending. 88/3/9, with 1/3 being in a single stock I can't sell for 5 more years (which is the outlier high-performer this year).

On our Schwab portfolio with an AA of 65.5/34.5 equity/fixed income we are..

YTD +4.89% ending January
YTD +3.34% ending February
YTD +5.50% ending March
YTD +6.18% ending April
YTD +6.34% ending May
YTD +11.06% ending June
YTD +14.64% ending July
YTD +13.07% ending Aug
YTD +10.20% ending Sep
YTD +7.99% ending Oct
YTD +13.98% ending Nov

I may have been off by +/- % point on previous months due to a poor education and too many numbers.
But, I think I got the ending Nov percentage correct!

Things continue to deteriorate, somewhat helped by high shorter term bond holdings:
October: -0.8%
YTD: +4.0%
YoY: +5.5% (from 11/5/22)
Since high [12/31/21]: -8.9%
Since 12/31/20: +1.9%
Since 12/31/19: +16.6%

Nice November, best month of the year (equities up, bonds up, precious metals up)
November: +4.3%
YTD: +8.5%
YoY: +3.9% (last November was up also, thus lower YoY)
Since high [12/31/21] -5.0%
Since 12/31/20: +6.3%
Since 12/31/19: +21.6%

I'm glad this thread exists, I don't think there is anyone in my life to talk to about my investments performances.

Yeah this thread is very important for me to sort of judge how I am doing. One year someone took our A/A and made a plot chart of everyone's returns by Asset Allocation which was great to see, especially for folks missing the marks in their perspective allocations...it's a phenomenal talking point if you can dig into the portfolio's behind these numbers sometimes.

Like someone posted above they were curious how I had such high returns... so I put out my holdings. Not the complete picture, but enough for someone to realize...ahhh he has high exposure to AAPL, and Tech....higher risk ETFs with concentrations in Large Cap...cool.

None of my friends and family would be able to discuss this. I manage millions of dollars between muiltiple family members with the help of the ER community. If this thread didn't exist, the game would be a lot less enjoyable in my opinion.

It's sort of like comparing golf scores at the end of the day, No shame and remember we all have a different handicap.

With that said...here are my numbers for November...

Overall portfolio +13.95 YTD
=
48% Stock index funds +19.12
45% Bond index funds +1.94%
7% Bitcoin +128.70%

Last edited:
Well, it's that time of the month again. And DAMN! But in a good way

1/31/2023: +7.08% YTD.
2/28/2023: +4.22% YTD.
3/31/2023: +7.18% YTD.
4/28/2023: +8.40% YTD.
5/31/2023: +8.96% YTD.
6/30/2023: +14.51% YTD.
7/31/2023: +17.96% YTD.
8/31/2023: +16.04% YTD.
9/29/2023: +11.04% YTD.
10/31/2023: +7.65% YTD.
11/30/2023: +15.65% YTD.

Normally, the market falls much more quickly than it gains, so this was a nice change of pace.

13.3% YTD on ~ 80/10/10 AA.

This last month I structured ~10% in fixed account for 9 years. My numbers going forward will reflect differently than I was use too.

^^ From a few posts earlier of the importance of this thread it is for me also. I never quite do as well as most but enjoy seeing the comparisons.

Last edited:
^^ From a few posts earlier of the importance of this thread it is for me also. I never quite do as well as most but enjoy seeing the comparisons.

I'm glad this thread is here, too. It's probably a somewhat good gauge too, to see how you're doing compared to the market as a whole. For instance, if there's a month that everyone else is up, but you're down, it might be a sign that you need to look at your investments. Or if nothing else, look at your spreadsheets to see if there are any errors!

This morning, when I was adding up my totals, in one of my spreadsheets (but not the one that I pull the numbers from for this thread) I managed to "lose" about $50,000! Simply because I had accidentally goofed up a calculation, and it referenced an empty cell, rather than the cell that had the dollar amount in. D'oh! :facepalm:

Plus, like UpQuark mentioned, it's nice to just be able to talk about this kind of stuff, as I don't really have anyone out there in the real world to talk finances with, either. At least, not in detailed terms like we do here.

In the "real world," I've only told three people how much I have. Two of them are now dead, and with the other, who is a good friend, and on pretty good footing himself, it hasn't come up in awhile.

And, I know that sounds a bit ominous, but the two that are dead are my Mom and my uncle. The main reason I let them know, is because they would both worry about me getting mad and doing something stupid at work. They were also both the types that had the mentality of work as long as you can, and didn't really think about retirement, whereas my attitude was work was just something you tolerated, until you got to retire!

Jan '23: +9.5% lol. I'll take it. Don't expect it to stick around though.
Feb '23: +7%.
Mar '23: +13% 99% Stocks, dividends included
Ooops, I realize I missed April, and May
Jun '23 +24.7%
Jul '23 +29% Losing to Nasdaq but on par with my A/A since I have about 42% of the portfolio in Small/Mid cap and the rest Mega. I should really stop farting around and just go all MegaCap MGK
Aug '23 +26%. Went backwards a tad.
Sep '23 +18.5%. Went backwards even more... whee![
Oct '23 +14.1% More Whee!! Although as I post I've recovered 5.2%
Nov '23 +26.5% I re-allocated into AAPL a little more

Looking at my ole man's folio, he is 72 and coming up on his first RMD...he is up 35% ytd. Incredible. The tax torpedo is coming...RMD starts in less than 32 days.

98 % equity

Up 16.42% YTD

I'm trailing the S and P due to ~27% exposure to small caps ( IWM)

I did make a change beginning of the month out of most my international holdings into SCHG ( large cap growth) which acts very much like the QQQ.

It was a hard decision for me, but after 15 + years of holding emerging markets and international I just couldn't look at it any more.

Last edited:
Total: 9.75%
CDs + treasuries: 4.17% - 55% portfolio
Index funds: 15.31% - 40% portfolio

YTD I am up 10.68%. I got conservative after 2022 and dropped my AA to 35/60/5 when I determined I had "enough NW and wanted less risk" and interest rates were up. Mid year I changed to 45/52/3. So I benefited some from stock run up. About 12% of my equities are in AI related ETF's and individual stocks since October.

I made a lot of bad moves in 2022 and lost 15.23%. I felt market was going to drop, interest was going to rise and inflation was going to rise. I think I could have contained that to 10%.

Last edited:
YTD I am up 10.68%. I got conservative after 2022 and dropped my AA to 35/60/5 when I determined I had "enough NW and wanted less risk" and interest rates were up. Mid year I changed to 45/52/3. So I benefited some from stock run up. About 12% of my equities are in AI related ETF's and individual stocks since October.

I made a lot of bad moves in 2022 and lost 15.23%. I felt market was going to drop, interest was going to rise and inflation was going to rise. I think I could have contained that to 10%.

Seems that moves that make you feel better end up costing money. I have found that sitting on my hands works 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time I am asleep!!!

VW

Seems that moves that make you feel better end up costing money. I have found that sitting on my hands works 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time I am asleep!!!

VW

Yeah, when I stopped working I got much more conservative. The moves I made in 2022 and early 2023 to "protect" my portfolio probably cost me 5% on the downturn and 5% on the bounce. If I had just left everything alone I would be back to where I was 1/1/2022 (or close) instead of down 10%.

For November up 9.42%

+17.07% YTD AA 85/15

2023 YTD +6.84% Portfolio Total Increase

50/50 Benchmark: 8.04% American Funds American Balanced Fund® Class R-6

At the beginning of 2024 we'll convert the last of her small IRA to Roth. That will give me one less lookup.

Up 10.16% ytd.

Had been 70/30 for 40 years. Now 50/50 (TBills, MM,etc) likely until the Fed cools off. I always plan on 6% and most often am not disappointed.

Earlier this year things did not look promising but with less than four full weeks to go, looking good.

Back
Top Bottom