$400 Billion Futuristic City to be built by 2030 - Interested in Living here?

"Taxes paid will go back to the city for infrastructure - roads, tunnels and bridges...."

What.
A.
Novel.
Idea!!!!

Actually, I'd be tempted but I fear that 'egalitarian societies' end up with "some more equal than others" as Orwell stated.

Last edited:
It’s fascinating to consider the extreme hubris of a person who decides, “Hey, I did pretty well climbing the ladder at Walmart, so now I’ll fix all the world’s problems.” Or maybe he’ll be another Walt Disney. Who knows?

A dear friend’s mother grew up in Arden, Delaware. It is a single tax community founded in 1900. She was one of the kindest people I ever knew. Her father was a prominent citizen of this artist community. Not a commune, not a closed society, but an idyllic community. No one owns land;they have 99 year leases. Their portion of their taxes is determined by the square footage, not what is developed on the land. Upton Sinclair made his home there for a number of years. Joe Biden has been said to lived there briefly.

This article provides a better description of
the town than Wikipedia:

https://reason.com/2017/10/14/delawares-odd-beautiful-conten/

"Settlers" of the city would be chosen via a selection process focused on diversity and inclusion..."

That's the deal breaker for me. I don't want to live in a community planned around someone else's definition of diversity. My version of utopia is a community where the requirement for entry is a history of hard work, honesty, and ethics.

Quote:
"Settlers" of the city would be chosen via a selection process focused on diversity and inclusion..."
That's the deal breaker for me. I don't want to live in a community planned around someone else's definition of diversity. My version of utopia is a community where the requirement for entry is a history of hard work, honesty, and ethics.

+1. I was trying to think of a way to put that into words, but you said it better than I ever could.

And I better leave it at that! :)

-ERD50

Whatever happened to Arcosanti? I visited there about 30 years ago. It was more or less a construction site.

I just visited Arcosanti a couple of years ago, even though I have been living in the state for 40+ years.

It's still in an unfinished state, and will stay that way. There are not enough supporters to push the project forward.

Yes what is this magical diversity breakdown and why will that exact percentage mean a better community?

There's one of those 99-year lease closed communities not far from where I live, called Sherwood Forest. I'm surprised that it's significant enough to have a Wikipedia entry.

Anyway, here's a blurb about how it works... "Homes sites in the community are leased for 99 years, from the community association. Demand for the homes is high and most of these homes, when available, are leased by current residents or their relatives. Approval to lease a home site requires sponsorship from current residents."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherwood_Forest,_Anne_Arundel_County,_Maryland

Interesting but not far enough for me. Who would govern? How to ensure powerful people don’t control it? I would like something more like the Venus Project that is self contained, everyone has a true say in policy, no capitalism, volunteerism not forced work, maximize automation, no taking advantage of others.

Interesting but not far enough for me. Who would govern? How to ensure powerful people don’t control it? I would like something more like the Venus Project that is self contained, everyone has a true say in policy, no capitalism, volunteerism not forced work, maximize automation, no taking advantage of others.

The problem with giving everyone a say is that some people are idiots and if given a chance they will ruin everything. One of the goals of a self contained utopia should be screening those people out, otherwise it's not a utopia.

And if this former Walmart executive thinks an elite won’t develop to take over, he is ignorant of all of human history.

Sounds more like a dystopia to me.
So, no no no.

I also don't want to live in a place where every house looks the same.

Wasn't there some entertainer/star who was working on a 100% carbon neutral development? IIRC, the cheapest home was a small studio condo for $1,000,000.

Not exactly a practical solution to the problem of global warming.

Such projects are the sign of the land cycle peaking up. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom