8 Things To Stop Doing After 60

I'm an outlier, the major thing I did after 60 - more accurately after retirement - IS to stop worrying. I'm not sure why. I was always worried about my job and my bosses. Once that passed, I was not worried about the money any more. Only worry is that I'm getting more anxious and fearful when driving freeways, and that's getting worse.

+1. Should be #1 on the list after 60!

I’ve never been afraid of heights, I’ve been 40-50’ up the (moving) masts of sailboats many times. But four years ago at age 65 I went on our roof to clean the gutters on our new house, 12’ elevation in front, 18’ elevation in back. I walked from front to back, with DW uneasy on the ground watching. It gave me serious heebie jeebies just getting near the edge in back and seeing the ground 18’ below me. I walked back to the front and down the ladder without cleaning a single leaf out of the gutter - and I’ll never go up there again. I’ve gladly paid crews to clean our gutters once or twice a year.

I worked with a guy who fell off his one-story roof (went up to clear heavy snow :crazy:), slipped off the ladder and landed on this driveway. Broke his spinal cord. Struggled to even walk forever after despite grueling therapy. Forced to retire at 50, passed away at 59 - alone. Former marathon runner. Completely ruined his life…

OK, maybe at 75 it's time for me to either have someone else do it or use a ladder to blow them out instead of getting up on the roof. Thanks.

To the list I would add (might be a repeat of what is meant by 3,4,5 in OP):

START: Being comfortable about your limitations.

For me this means to stop doing run exercises after 50 years of it and instead bumping up my walking. Also being comfortable with my not being at the top of practically anything. I'm interested in a wide variety of activities like art, physics, gardening, etc. But sometimes I torture myself over how much I do not know. Been doing that all my life and maybe it's a about time to be more realistic.

Last edited:
It’s free for me. I know people that run the show here. I don’t drink.

If you don't drink (neither do I) nor look for a mate (I got a good one already) why go to a club - free or not?

All of those except the first would apply to any age.

Try ballroom dancing events instead. Cheaper with nicer and attractive people. For men, the women outnumber the men.

Heh, heh, I'll keep that in mind. Just in case. :cool:

Seriously, I just washed my both feet and I can't do anything with them, BUT I think ballroom dancing is a wonderful thing to watch. Romantic and lovely.:)

No Ladders.

Guy in my golf league told me " i am doing a young man's job ... I am going to finish my contracts and SELL my security biz to a young buck". Fast forward 6 months he's dead ... fell off a roof.

I keep saying I’m done with ladders for the last 5 years. Still keep climbing them though.

I had an 81 year old friend on a ladder that sunk enough that he fell off backwards from the ladder. He was extremely lucky to fall into bushes that broke his fall. He laid there for a minute wondering where he got hurt, decided he didn't and got up. It was not enough to keep him of ladders. :(

Yeah, I don't see anything about "stop using chain saws" but we had a guy at w*rk who had one kick back. 187 stitches later, he looked a bit like one of the Freddy Kruger characters. He recovered, but never got rid of the scars. I gave my chain saw away.

In general, I guess we just need to recognize our limitations and act accordingly. YMMV

I use my Husqvarna chainsaw multiple times per week, including yesterday, for firewood preparation at my place and the girlfriend's place.
I'm 73 and have been using chainsaws for 40 years+.
I sharpen my own chains by hand and adjust their tension properly before using.

One needs to be aware of the potential for injury from all power tools, not just chainsaws.
I expect to continue using my wonderful chainsaw for the next few decades. We'll see...

#6. Don't know what the definition of over supporting is but my son is an only child single dad with custody of his 3 kids. I live across the street and help in many ways including money.

It's doesn't jeopardize my retirement and I get joy from helping. When I'm gone he gets everything so my view is I'd rather see him enjoy it now than get a windfall when I'm gone.

How dare you assume I'm over 60! Oh, wait, I am. When did that happen?!

Reminds me of a thread I saw online that had "too old to post" on top. The nerve! They meant, of course, that the thread was years old and thus closed.:LOL:

#6. Don't know what the definition of over supporting is but my son is an only child single dad with custody of his 3 kids. I live across the street and help in many ways including money.

It's doesn't jeopardize my retirement and I get joy from helping. When I'm gone he gets everything so my view is I'd rather see him enjoy it now than get a windfall when I'm gone.
The video did define over supporting...

Well I guess I’ll be ornery

Let’s see… I can’t stop saving because I have more coming in than going out

Not sure what ‘stop spending on things that don’t bring joy’ even means….Please enlighten me. Maybe medical bills:confused:

Stop pretending….yada, yada….. Good advice at any age…don’t you think?

Stop putting yourself down….see above

Stop worrying……well I guess but should alsonapplyntonditto above

Stop over supporting adult children…. Hey if you can afford to…help your kids out anyway you can

Stop taking your health for granted….if you’ve waited until you’re 60 you’re way behind the 8 ball. But better late than never

Stop taking your time for granted….see above

I hope those reading this under 60 pay attention to much of this way earlier

Agree or not, some things to consider sooner
later. If you’ve already figured all these out, some undoubtedly have, congrats!
  1. Stop saving
  2. Stop (discretionary) spending on things that don’t bring you joy
  3. Stop pretending (to be someone you aren’t)
  4. Stop putting yourself down
  5. Stop worrying
  6. Stop over supporting adult children
  7. Stop taking your health for granted
  8. Stop taking your time for granted
My favorite insight ’we become the 6-10 people we hang around with most, so don’t hang around with “friends” that prevent you from being your best self.’ I put up with some people I should probably avoid, because some of my true friends do (to avoid conflict) - still grappling with that.

Not unique to after 60, but more than ever I’d encourage us all to really listen & enegage with everyone positive in your life, whether it’s your best friend, family or random strangers. The adage ’you never learn anything when you are talking’ always reminds me to talk less and listen more. When I was younger I didn’t listen, it’s amazing how much better life is if you really engage with people - took me a long time to see that.

Introverts like myself tend to just listen to people, before speaking, as I have listened to you and many others on the blog and benefited. I could list names but I'd leave many off the list inadvertently.
But it may be true that I don't have much wisdom to offer, unlike many like you and others that I have profited from listening to.

One needs to be aware of the potential for injury from all power tools, not just chainsaws.
I expect to continue using my wonderful chainsaw for the next few decades. We'll see...

Yeah ... next thing we'll see is "only PLASTIC forks and knives". I am Stihl owner and burn 10 cords/yr in 2 properties. Ladders on the other hand ... ALL DONE.

So, stop saving ...
and buy what gives you joy ..
I guess I'll buy a Sports car and pretend I'm Bond .. James Bond.
That will be fun :D

A lot of this stuff is good advice for people under 60 as well (well, they really should save).

As for me, the worst year of my life was my plebe year at the Naval Academy, which ended in May of 1978. After having survived that crucible, I have always felt confident that I could meet any challenge life can throw at me, so I don't worry about things or second guess myself, and I am almost always happy. I expect that will continue. I have been injured many times in my life, but I am fortunate to be generally in good health, so I don't worry about that either.

So, stop saving ...
and buy what gives you joy ..
I guess I'll buy a Sports car and pretend I'm Bond .. James Bond.
That will be fun :D
My rule for buying stuff is, and always has been, that I don't want to own anything that I don't either know to be useful or think to be beautiful. The best things are both.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom