80% by UPS, 20% by USPS

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
I placed an order online last night.

When I got to the shipping page, I was given a choice of Economy and Standard.
I chose Standard because it said that the estimated delivery date was Feb 3 instead of the estimated date of Feb 9.

Now it turns out that I might as well have chosen Economy since I ended up with UPS SurePost which is what Economy is.
The company kept pointing to the delivery date difference and that the "handling" was different.
I hate SurePost. If I am going to get SurePost, I might as well save the $2.45 to get SurePost.

yvVTpKa.png

USPS shipping has been terrible the past few months, rarely get a package on the listed expected date. Ordered a new phone online from BestBuy in early December with an expected delivery date in 5 days. Two weeks later and USPS tracking still showed the package at the drop off location. Contacted BestBuy and they said the package was lost and issued a refund. The second week of Jan the phone showed up on my doorstep.

USPS shipping has been terrible the past few months, rarely get a package on the listed expected date. Ordered a new phone online from BestBuy in early December with an expected delivery date in 5 days. Two weeks later and USPS tracking still showed the package at the drop off location.

In all fairness, UPS can have the same problem. I had a package that was entirely handled by UPS but got lost in a warehouse near my home (final stop before delivery). My complaints went nowhere, but after over three weeks someone found it and it was finally delivered.

UPS and FedEx have been excellent the past few months. USPS about the same...Poor at best.

My dog likes FedEx the best since they always bring him dog biscuits. He knows when they are coming too since I'll open the gate to the property in the morning when I'm expecting a package and he'll watch out the window just waiting for them....

Last edited:
I order coffee from a small roaster located about an hour away in the boonies. They use USPS priority mail and normally I get it the day after ordering (and they roast it the day I order it, too, yay!). A couple of orders ago the package was lost for over a week. I ordered again today and there was a long message on their web page that basically said, in a nicer way that this, "we make sure your order leaves our facility within two days, so if it's late please call the post office and stop bugging us."

You can have problems with any of them. I birthday card for DW was mailed 12/22 and was delivered 1/5.
Yesterday FedEx dropped may package at unit 68 instead of out Unit 63
I also got a message from a broker saying the mail is slow.

USPS shipping has been terrible the past few months, rarely get a package on the listed expected date. Ordered a new phone online from BestBuy in early December with an expected delivery date in 5 days. Two weeks later and USPS tracking still showed the package at the drop off location. Contacted BestBuy and they said the package was lost and issued a refund. The second week of Jan the phone showed up on my doorstep.

We recently had a package delivered by USPS 6+ weeks after they took possession of it from the shipper. Time had passed and DW didn't even remember ordering it. It was some Christmas gifts for the grandkids.

I am currently disputing an eBay sale for lack of delivery that is over 3 months after being landed in the USA. Not sure if that is USPS problem or not.

USPS service has gone down hill over the last 6 months to a year IMO.

My gripe is that there is no difference between their "Economy" and "Standard" shipping since I end up with UPS SurePost.

The company's rep kept repeating that with Economy the received date is Feb 9 vs Feb 3 for Standard. I asked her how can that be since the end result is that they are using UPS SurePost for both. She had assured me that the order gets shipped ASAP.

To me this is deceptive, because the way I read Standard was that they ship with 80% probablility using UPS all the way or 20% probability using USPS all the way.

SurePost is SurePost so I would have rather saved 10% on my order.

It is not 20% USPS "all the way". Just the final local delivery could be UPS or USPS.

From UPS:
UPS SurePost® is an economy, residential, ground service.

This service combines the consistency and reliability of the UPS Ground network with final delivery typically provided by the U.S. Postal Service.

From what I see your Standard shipping is UPS pickup and transport to you area. Then rither UPS or USPS local delivery. The local delivery by USPS would be the same as SurePost. Not the UPS local delivery. The Economy shipping is certainly SurePost based on your picture posted.

Let us know when you actually receive the package. If you receive it on or before Feb 3rd, then you got what you paid for.

It is not 20% USPS "all the way". Just the final local delivery could be UPS or USPS.

From UPS:

From what I see your Standard shipping is UPS pickup and transport to you area. Then rither UPS or USPS local delivery. The local delivery by USPS would be the same as SurePost. Not the UPS local delivery. The Economy shipping is certainly SurePost based on your picture posted.

Let us know when you actually receive the package. If you receive it on or before Feb 3rd, then you got what you paid for.

I received notification from UPS that a SurePost package was on it's way.
If I had know I was getting the package by SurePost, then I would rather have paid the $3.55 for Economy and saved $2.45
SurePost is the bottom of the barrel.
The Feb 3 is an estimate not a guarantee.

Back
Top Bottom