A $101K pension ???

Have any of the people in the POLICE log been convicted of anything? Yet their Picture, Name, address are all printed for people to see. This is the same thing IMHO.

We will never agree on this.

These are the rights in America and good or bad that's the deal. You can always move to Russia.

The facts are the facts. If you want to give up your rights then you should. I choose not to. No one is doing anything illegal here so I don't know why it should bother you.

We don't agree, get over it, it happens.

The facts are the facts. If you want to give up your rights then you should. I choose not to. No one is doing anything illegal here so I don't know why it should bother you.

Do we have a right to know classified military secrets? If not, then guess what: you've just acknowledged that there are limits to the public "right to know" about the details of government business when there are security issues in play. Disclosing these details to an angry public is a security issue for the individual whose information is divulged. Not to the same degree as leaking top secret military data, but it still is.

And you can have the last word. I'm done.

These limits have already been set. I'm just not willing to give up any more of my rights. Military Secrets and pension disclosure? What?

Me too, I give up.

I think it's good that they release information relative to the the positions people held and the size of the pension, but I don't agree with releasing the names of the individuals. That could make them a target of someone who is sufficiently angry and who aims their anger at the recipients instead of the policy makers.
I remember learning a few years ago that as a City employee, my name, job title, salary and I forget what other information were public record, and that somebody had requested and been given the listing under the Freedom of Information Act or whatever law it is that makes the information public.

Since I'm a single woman who lives alone, I was uncomfortable with the idea that some unknown person had obtained my information. The employee list wouldn't give my marital status, but I have an unusual name and it wouldn't be at all difficult to figure out where I lived, if anyone wanted to do so. I was also concerned about the possibility of identity theft, and wondered if my name was about to go back on all the mailing lists it had taken so much effort to get it removed from. In the end, no visible results were produced by the release of the information.

I have no idea what purpose is served by obtaining individual employees' information. If anyone wants to see what their money is being spent on, I would think of a list of job titles with salaries and the number of employees at each rating, would be sufficiently revealing. I think I would be even more opposed to releasing retirees' names and info. First of all, they are no longer working for the public entity, so why is their info a matter of public record any more than if they left government employment and took a job in the private sector? Second, there are people out there low enough to target seniors for financial swindles and publishing retirees' names seems like a handwritten invitation to such scammers.

I gave you an answer, here it is again. It's my right and I don't want to give it up. I also said it may not serve much purpose but I still want the right.

Now maybe you can answer mine. Should we take the right away from the newspapers and all media to print someones name and address? Should we close down the internet?
++++

The most incredibly "what if" people in the world inhabit this board. How about we just assume that maximum freedom is good. 99% of the time we will find out this is true. In the rare cases that it is not true, we modify.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom