A day in the life of a 9th grader...

In the 8th grade we boys had a pushing contest to get in our out of the men's room. Group on each side was pushing, it was stupid boy stuff. It was somehow related music class and the male music teacher was going to "fix" the problem. There's was no real problem, we all knew each other and had been classmates since kindergarten. It was stupid boy stuff.

No one would blame anyone else, we were united in our silence, and stayed that way. Most really were just watching and a few on both sides pushing, you really couldn't say whose fault it was if you wanted to. After all he's the music teacher, what's he going to do?

In his wisdom the teacher gets out his paddle, it's a 2×4 with a handle, more like a club. Since no one would talk we all were beaten with his club. One by one we were taken out in the hall and clubbed. It didn't sting, it bruised deeply for weeks. I didn't say anything nor did any of the other boys. Too bad we didn't.

Seventh grade social studies teacher threatened to 'have the police give me a record and put me on probation. It would ruin my life." Innocent little kid, I didn't know any better and was terrified for a long time.

Eighteen years later, I found myself in a position where I could influence the decision that would get him fired.

I only had three people on my permanent sh*+ list. 7th grade teacher- helped get him fired. #2 is dead, natural causes. #3 is a work in progress (ex-manager from 20 years ago). For some reason, his pet projects are not getting out of committee. That committee is a bit of a time waster, but being on it is rewarding in it's own unique way.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. But, look at you now!
Thanks. In retrospect I can't imagine that anyone saying such a thing back then had any real idea of the repercussions.

A different experience.

It was 3rd grade, and my teacher was Miss Ballou. No one has ever had such an effect on my life.

She was old... guessing now, maybe in her 60's and it was back in 1944/1945. I was kinda like a sponge. Whatever was there, I was interested in. In a class of maybe 24 kids, Merle Taylor and i were usually at the top of the class, so Miss Ballou took her cue from our interests, and taught that way. Especially reading. Beyond class, she would give me/us books that shaped my life... Mark Twain, Victor Appleton, Dickens, Steinbeck, Melville... I would stay up late in my room , way after bedtime... reading under the covers with a flashlight.

A gift that I wish I could repay... or tell her how much it meant to me. Haunted my mom and dad in fifth grade to buy the World Book encyclopedia. Finally got the encyclopedia in 6th grade... not the Word Book, but the Americana... more words, smaller type. Until 9th grade, when I became an athlete, life was study... by choice.

Guess I was a bit of a wimp 'til high school, but becoming a nationally recognized swimmer, gave me the stardom that took me through school and later on, through life. (taking violin classes in 5th and sixth grade didn't endear me to the jocks back in those early days.)

Anyway... here's to you Miss Ballou... won't be long 'til I see you again..:)

edited to add... Remembering Merle, I did a Google search, and found out from her husband's funeral last year that she was still alive, and had had a super successful career, retiring as President of a large corporation. Miss Ballou would have been proud.

Last edited:
I went to Catholic grammar school, from 1960-1967 (1st-8th)..

I was not a trouble maker, but I never (ever) did homework. A few of the things I remember that happened to me:
Twice being slapped so hard in 4th grade, by a nun, that I lost bladder control. I regained it before anybody knew,but I knew.

Once being tossed, by the same nun, into a heater box so hard I dented it. When I left in '67, the dent was still there.

In 6th grade because I failed to bring in a project, I was held up by my necktie until I fainted.

I 8th grade I was held by one nun while the principal, another nun, slapped me across the face.

Other things I saw happen to others: A boy held down by one teacher while another teacher chopped his bangs with a pair of scissors. This was done in front of the class.
On many occasions if one forgot to wear his tie to school he had to spend the day wearing a tie that was about 6 feet long and 2 feet wide.
In 6th grade the 7th grade teacher caught two of his charges spitting on the recess ground. Their punishment was to stand in front of our class and spit at each other until they were dry. One guy got the other guy's spit right in his mouth and almost threw up.

Most of these things would probably get a teacher fired, if not thrown in jail now, and as far as I'm concerned rightfully so.

Wow. I went to a parochial school too (in another country), but never saw the kind of abuses described above, and I was one of the misfits (but always managed to get good grades - top of the class often too).

However, the title of the thread reminded me of the following song. Yes, I was lovesick in 9th grade. It was innocent love.

A Day in the Life of a Fool

A day in the life of a fool
A sad and a long lonely day
I walk the avenue
And hope I'll run into
The welcome sight of you
Coming my way

I stop just across from your door
But you're never home any more
So back to my room
And there in the gloom
I cry tears of good bye

Last edited:
One of the best things that ever happened to me was skipping school with my best friend. We were in our junior year, 16-17? My best buddy and I went trout fishing. It was the second week of the season, hey we were kids.

Of course we got busted, two good friends called in sick the same perfect day in trout season! The standard punishment was three swats from the Vice Principal and a week of detention. Our VP was well respected by all, a former Marine.

My buddy and I go in together to receive our punishment and he went first. He had chosen to wear long underwear that day, it was quickly called out. The VP smiled and said no problem, I'll adjust! I watched as he was struck twice, it didn't appear to be that bad. The VP noticed as well, the third strike he broke the paddle on my friends butt! My eyes were huge, my buddy's too.

For a moment I thought I was in the clear, no more paddle. Mr. B. smiled and opened a little door revealing a new box of 12 paddles! I received the same three swats, I don't think mine were as severe, but I remembered them for the next week.

We both shook Mr. B's. hand after our punishment. He smiled and asked if we had any luck fishing? [emoji1]

He said something to me that day that would always remind me of his integrity and leadership. It was a lesson he personalized to me, in a weird way he made a difference in my life.

I guess I felt I let a good man down, that was something I never wanted to do again.

............Twice being slapped so hard in 4th grade, by a nun, that I lost bladder control. ................Once being tossed, by the same nun, into a heater box so hard I dented it. .......................... I was held up by my necktie until I fainted.............. 8th grade I was held by one nun while the principal, another nun, slapped me across the face............A boy held down by one teacher while another teacher chopped his bangs with a pair of scissors............Their punishment was to stand in front of our class and spit at each other until they were dry. One guy got the other guy's spit right in his mouth and almost threw up............
Wow..just wow. Seen in context with the molesting priests, I have to wonder what was going on in that organization. :(

No teacher ever touched anybody in my family - I would have heard the story, if they had.

Honestly I didn't think anybody on this forum was old enough to have experienced physical abuse in school. I think of that as 19th or early 20th century stuff. Maybe, it depends on the part of the country you grew up in ?

Wow..just wow. Seen in context with the molesting priests, I have to wonder what was going on in that organization. :(

Looking back on it, later as an adult, I realized it was crazy. As kids, we just accepted it. I can't think of a time when anyone of us reported it to our parents. We just figured it was part of our "education".

If anyone had done anything like that to my kids, it would have turned very ugly.

The class bully who picked on everyone decided to be late for class one day. Our 8th grade social studies teacher stuck his head out the classroom door and said, your late get in class. Well this smart a$$ kid said, why don't you make me.

We then head a big crash into the lockers, then another and the our teacher grabbed him by the back of his collar and his belt and the kid came sailing through the door and slid to the other side of the room.

No one was ever late to class again and we all knew this kid deserved it!

Recently, a database of the abusers has been released. Search clergy abuse. Some of the schools I attended were mentioned in the PA database. Some of the names are familiar.

I also found a story about the cardinal, top honcho in Phila. What a coverup he perpetrated. His lifestyle was beyond extravagant.

The abusive behavior by clergy went on for 40-50 years. When an individual was outed, the coverup would start. Transferred to another diocese, or moved to another state.

One of the best things that ever happened to me was skipping school with my best friend. We were in our junior year, 16-17? My best buddy and I went trout fishing. It was the second week of the season, hey we were kids.

Of course we got busted, two good friends called in sick the same perfect day in trout season! The standard punishment was three swats from the Vice Principal and a week of detention. Our VP was well respected by all, a former Marine.

My buddy and I go in together to receive our punishment and he went first. He had chosen to wear long underwear that day, it was quickly called out. The VP smiled and said no problem, I'll adjust! I watched as he was struck twice, it didn't appear to be that bad. The VP noticed as well, the third strike he broke the paddle on my friends butt! My eyes were huge, my buddy's too.

For a moment I thought I was in the clear, no more paddle. Mr. B. smiled and opened a little door revealing a new box of 12 paddles! I received the same three swats, I don't think mine were as severe, but I remembered them for the next week.

We both shook Mr. B's. hand after our punishment. He smiled and asked if we had any luck fishing? [emoji1]

He said something to me that day that would always remind me of his integrity and leadership. It was a lesson he personalized to me, in a weird way he made a difference in my life.

I guess I felt I let a good man down, that was something I never wanted to do again.

Not exactly fishing...but our Jr High was across a busy street from a coffee shop. Big glass windows. Every once in a while a couple kids would cut & go over there and drink pop or coffee or whatever. Did I mention big glass windows? Facing the Vice Principal's office? Now that I think of it perhaps the waitress made the call. Because these truants weren't going to be big tippers. Could clear them out for the lunch crowd. Anyway it was not a long walk back for the miscreants.

I didn't cut class until Spring of my Senior year. We were on quarters and the grade was averaged between the 3rd & 4th quarter. So I busted it and got an A in the 3rd quarter. You know once you start cutting it's kinda hard to get back in the habit.....on a nice Spring day.I was aiming for a C in the 4th quarter. I received much less

Last edited:
In the spirit of fair play, I would like to point out that today there are problems with students assaulting teachers in the classroom. My wife and I have a number of friends teaching at the K-12 levels in different parts of the country and most of them have been assaulted by their students.

And some of them have been assaulted by the parents in the classrooms, while in front of the students.

In many cases, the administrations are not willing to do much to protect the teachers, disciplined students, or press charges against the parents.

Poor behavior occurs on both sides of the classroom.

Pretty crazy to think that teachers used to be able to beat students at will without any penalties. Pretty twisted if you think about it.

Its interesting to read how people think. Just because something was done a certain way at one point in time doesnt mean that method should continue. Any one want to travel 2500 miles in a horse and drawn wagon? lol...I bet most of us would prefer those metal tubes that fly through the sky.

Beating kids to make them listen isnt a solution. Violence doesnt snuff out violence...it only makes things worse.

Pretty crazy to think that teachers used to be able to beat students at will without any penalties. Pretty twisted if you think about it.

Its interesting to read how people think. Just because something was done a certain way at one point in time doesnt mean that method should continue. Any one want to travel 2500 miles in a horse and drawn wagon? lol...I bet most of us would prefer those metal tubes that fly through the sky.

Beating kids to make them listen isnt a solution. Violence doesnt snuff out violence...it only makes things worse.

I am surprised that we do not ever hear about teachers being looked up and beaten to death or beyond recovery, by ex-students over the years. I mean people my age and probably the age of most here. Thumping students was the rule and tolerated. And no, you didn't have to be guilty of anything other that being assigned to that class and being there at a certain time when somebody felt more like getting his or her rocks off beating children rather than taking a moment to find out what was going on and responding appropriately.

In my high-school days (early 70's), we had a swimming component as part of P.E. Guys were *required* to swim in the buff. As if the teen years weren't awkward enough. :( We learned that several years after graduation the practice was ceased. And as far as I know, none of us said anything to our parents at the time.

In my high-school days (early 70's), we had a swimming component as part of P.E. Guys were *required* to swim in the buff. As if the teen years weren't awkward enough. :( We learned that several years after graduation the practice was ceased. And as far as I know, none of us said anything to our parents at the time.
In times past, I think gym teaching was a pretty good gig for gays. My sister used to complain that her gym teacher would stand outside the shower and personally hand towels to each girl as she exited the shower, with a good look up and down. :cool:

In the spirit of fair play, I would like to point out that today there are problems with students assaulting teachers in the classroom. My wife and I have a number of friends teaching at the K-12 levels in different parts of the country and most of them have been assaulted by their students.

And some of them have been assaulted by the parents in the classrooms, while in front of the students.

I had a student like that who was transferred to our school for a 'fresh start'. He had assaulted a teacher at the other school by throwing a chair at her.

My only option if he started to get upset was to allow him to go to the counselor's office and sit there until he cooled off. Any other discipline was a non-starter since he would just walk out and leave school or become uncontrollable again. Needless to say, the counselor's office did not want him there very often

Remember the quote from Animal Farm?

"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others" - George Orwell.

By virtue of being 'Behaviorally Challenged' he was more equal.

Last edited:
He appears to have been in training for federal prison, where, if books and movies are to be believed, you have to fight to be respected (otherwise you'll be torn to pieces).

I had a student like that who was transferred to our school for a 'fresh start'. He had assaulted a teacher at the other school by throwing a chair at her.

My only option if he started to get upset was to allow him to go to the counselor's office and sit there until he cooled off. Any other discipline was a non-starter since he would just walk out and leave school or become uncontrollable again. Needless to say, the counselor's office did not want him there very often

Remember the quote from Animal Farm?

"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others" - George Orwell.

By virtue of being 'Behaviorally Challenged' he was more equal.

My husband has tales of gym teacher/coach abuse of smaller, weaker boys. It was all verbal abuse; calling them "girlie" and other words that boys find insulting. He recalled one boy in particular who was very smart in class, but thin and weak in gym, who came in for a lot of abuse because he couldn't climb the rope or run very fast.

This boy had a distinctive name, so I looked him up in Google and found a man by that name, the right age, who apparently had become a successful attorney. Personally, I think stupid people are afraid of smart ones, and try to intimidate them any way they can, even if it's just picking on a kid.

Mr. A. recalls defending smaller, weaker boys from playground bullies. Couldn't stand seeing them picked on for something they couldn't help.

............. He recalled one boy in particular who was very smart in class, but thin and weak in gym, who came in for a lot of abuse because he couldn't climb the rope or run very fast.
At that age it is a lot about testosterone level. I recall one kid in my 6th grade class that had a 5 o'clock shadow and could do amazing amounts of pull ups and pushups. The gym teacher loved him at the time but the last time I saw him he was still driving a truck.

“Poor behavior occurs on both sides of the classroom.”

Possibly true but that in no way happened here.

The violence I described was incidental to the bigger issue of the theft of a year of 9th grade English. Ruffing me up was more of adding insult to injury.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom