A gentleman of small but independent means

FUEGO

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I read that phrase in a book today and felt it succinctly described my station in life. Maybe I'll start giving that answer when I get asked about my work status. :D

Doctor Faustus by Thomas Mann (English Translation) for the inquisitive.

Speaking of the means, putting its size aside, is there anything that can be truly independent?

Seems to me any material thing can be destroyed or reduced by acts of God, or worse, acts of Man.

I think you and I both suffer from a working spouse. Still think this descriptor applies to us? :D

Sure, we do have independent means.

Money is fungible. Dividends, interests, and rents all get paid to our checking account, same as DW's paycheck. Which money is used to pay the bills? Am I paying the bills with the passive income and saving DW's paycheck, or am I paying the bills with DW's paycheck and reinvesting the passive income?

Last edited:
Speaking of the means, putting its size aside, is there anything that can be truly independent?

Seems to me any material thing can be destroyed or reduced by acts of God, or worse, acts of Man.

I sure hope the "I" in FIRE is real!

I hope so too, but hope does not make it true. :)

About thirty or forty years ago I met a fellow who always dressed well, spoke well, had an obviously extensive and expensive education, yet never seemed to w*rk. He was in his early thirties.

Once, among many conversation we had, I mentioned his seemingly unlimited free time. He responded in a modest voice "I never could find any economical reasons to work"

Now that is a man of means.

About thirty or forty years ago I met a fellow who always dressed well, spoke well, had an obviously extensive and expensive education, yet never seemed to w*rk. He was in his early thirties.

Once, among many conversation we had, I mentioned his seemingly unlimited free time. He responded in a modest voice "I never could find any economical reasons to work"

Now that is a man of means.

I guess that means those of us who are FI have run out of economic reasons to work. I like it!

I guess that means those of us who are FI have run out of economic reasons to work. I like it!

As much as I like to work for fun, I still want to be financially compensated for it. Lots and lots of compensation. It's a proof that the people I do the work for appreciate my work. They said they loved me, but talk is cheap.

Well, they did not appreciate my work enough, so I quit!

I always loved the 1800s novels with people of "independent means". Always made sense to me! Darcy of Pride and Prejudice was so rich! His income (from investments - probably British government bonds paying 3%) was 10,000 pounds a year!!! Circa 1815.

I've got to make sure DW doesn't see this new acronym for another three months or so.

You and FIREd need a new acronym: FIREKM (Financially Independent Retired Early Kept Man).

Maybe "BoyToy". You could fit that on a T-shirt.

Back
Top Bottom