A personal Covid Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if you are related to one of them? Then what do you do?
The general rule that I have followed throughout life is that I am not required to tolerate from a family member that which I would not tolerate from a stranger.

It's amazing how some people act when challenged over this deadly virus. I'm a primary care physician, and very routinely order testing. Any sick visits with Covid-type symptoms are put on as telemedicine, but occasionally a few slip by screening. Last week I had a guy come in with back pain (muscle aches). He wanted Xrays and testing for rheumatoid arthritis. After going through his symptoms, I wasn't convinced, and told him I wanted to send him for Covid testing. He argued up and down, and left pissed off because now he would have to wait to get Xrays done until after his test came back negative. Low and behold, it came back positive. He was at least apologetic when I called and gave him the results...

Yesterday I had a patient come in telling me she had allergies. No fever, and it is allergy time. However, after going through her symptoms more, I also felt she needed to be tested. She also got pissed off and told me there's no way that she could have Covid because she's not around anyone. She then told me it feels just like a common cold. I explained to her that colds, just like Covid, are a viral disease spread from person to person. It went completely over her head, and she left absolutely refusing testing.

This pandemic has left me absolutely despising a lot of people unfortunately...

I ended up in the Palo Alto Medical Foundation urgent care clinic over the weekend after a fall resulting in a meeting of face and concrete. Nothing broken and no brain bleed, but it was necessary to do a scan to confirm. The ventilation in the waiting room was nonexistent and they use the same waiting room for people coming in for Covid tests. These people got through the cursory Covid symptom questions at the door, so asymptomatic or dishonest people would have made the cut. Masks and socially distanced chairs, but in an hour plus of waiting, probably 30 people came in for testing, waiting 10 to 20 minutes each. Three to five people waiting most of the time. I won't be returning...

Alan--such wonderful news.
Great homemade meals and care from Mom and Dad will go a long way in his healing!

Alan--such wonderful news.
Great homemade meals and care from Mom and Dad will go a long way in his healing!

I think fish and chips was one of the meals on the menu. Maybe once his digestion is better...

I don't know that he was tested for the type of virus, but probably 50/50 that he was as that is proportion of infections that are genome sequenced, with the infection rate being as low as it currently is here. It was almost certainly B1117 as that is the dominant strain here.

My sister told me a few weeks ago that another person at her work took a phone call from his wife who told him that her test had come back positive. He was indignant when he was lambasted by his colleagues and ordered to go home immediately, he should not have even been in work. And this is after the company had had the outbreak before Christmas.

I wish the U.S. would do the same amount of genome sequencing as the U.K. I would like to know the actual prevalence of different variants here.

Just got back from the hospital as he had an appointment to have a blood test. While there we discovered that the Covid ward he was in is now mixed with other patients as a woman came to drop off a bag for her husband and she was telling us that he is in with sepsis. She asked if it was possible to see him but was told that it is a still a red zone with some Covid patients there.

If he had tested and found to have a variant of concern it would have made the news and there would have been mass testing initiated to track down the cases.

Thanks, Alan. Your reports have been amazingly informative and much appreciated.

He has been home with us for 5 days now and although his progress is slow it is steady and today he drove himself to his own house (less than a mile away) shortly after breakfast, taking a packed lunch with him. The plan is for now on to spend as much time as he can in his own home, tending his garden etc, only coming to us to share meals and to sleep.

The main symptom he has left is extreme tiredness. Standing or walking for more than 5 minutes exhausts him and he has to sit down. On Thursday he booked an appointment for the following day at his barber's. When he got off the phone he said he booked a slot early afternoon because if he was there when the "virtual ward" from the hospital called in the morning he didn't want to be publicly discussing his bowel movements :)

Mentally he seems back to his normal self. He even did his FBAR online with the US Treasury yesterday, and that included researching the highest balances of his UK bank and pension accounts, and converting them to $'s after looking up the official Treasury exchange rate as of December 31st.

Baby steps every day add up to big steps. Now how are you and Mom doing? I hope the two of you are feeling less stress every day.

Sounds like moving towards normalcy, thankfully. Did he get anosmia? My daughter still has parosmia; really thinks coriander tastes foul now, and she used to like it.

Baby steps every day add up to big steps. Now how are you and Mom doing? I hope the two of you are feeling less stress every day.

Thank you for asking :)

We are feeling MUCH better now, far more relaxed this last few days.

Sounds like moving towards normalcy, thankfully. Did he get anosmia? My daughter still has parosmia; really thinks coriander tastes foul now, and she used to like it.

Interestingly he never lost his sense of taste and smell although it did change somewhat in hospital. He says it is now completely back to normal, as evidenced by his mother failing to slip some vegetables into his meals without him noticing. To try and feed his gut some bacteria we tried him with Keffir, yogurt and Actimel. Yogurt is "okay", Keffir he doesn't like the taste of, but Actimel he loves.

Alan, so happy for you all! Continued prayers/healing vibes for a quick recovery back to his normal health/strength/gut health. I’m sure the air smells sweeter, the sunshine that much brighter : )

Was very, very pleased to read about Jeffrey's continued improvement!

. To try and feed his gut some bacteria we tried him with Keffir, yogurt and Actimel. Yogurt is "okay", Keffir he doesn't like the taste of, but Actimel he loves.

Whatever works, works!

I flavor my Kefir with chocolate protein power and peanut butter, making a fake Reeses smoothy. It tastes pretty darn good. I can't drink it straight either.

Jeffrey continues to make good progress. This last 3 days he has been living in his own house during the day, coming to us for an evening meal and to spend the night. This morning after breakfast he collected up his dirty clothes before driving back over where he will do his laundry. He has been watering his own garden, his bathroom is upstairs as is his clothes drier so this is all good exercise. Yesterday we took him shopping where he pushed a cart around for 20 minutes to buy what he needs. At lunchtime we drove a few miles to the coast where we ate haddock and chips while sitting on the pier. All good progress. With a bit of luck he will be living in his own house in a few days time.

Jeffrey continues to make good progress. This last 3 days he has been living in his own house during the day, coming to us for an evening meal and to spend the night. This morning after breakfast he collected up his dirty clothes before driving back over where he will do his laundry. He has been watering his own garden, his bathroom is upstairs as is his clothes drier so this is all good exercise. Yesterday we took him shopping where he pushed a cart around for 20 minutes to buy what he needs. At lunchtime we drove a few miles to the coast where we ate haddock and chips while sitting on the pier. All good progress. With a bit of luck he will be living in his own house in a few days time.

I am loving these updates! You must be on cloud nine watching him get better and better! He's a lucky guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom