A road trip through New England

^ Good to know. We are going to Acadia NP in August. Flying to Boston, and driving up the coast to Acadia. Originally I thought of heading northwest out of Boston, then Kancamagus east. But I think up the coast would be better in August since the colors wouldn't have turned yet to fully enjoy Kancamagus.

^ Good to know. We are going to Acadia NP in August. Flying to Boston, and driving up the coast to Acadia. Originally I thought of heading northwest out of Boston, then Kancamagus east. But I think up the coast would be better in August since the colors wouldn't have turned yet to fully enjoy Kancamagus.

We have made our home base In Kennebunkport for 10/12 years now on our trips to ME. There are lots of nice places to stay, but we always went back to the Captain Lord Mansion. They have a community style breakfast where everyone is at 1 of 3 tables. We have met lots of guests doing similar trips.

If you enjoy the outdoors, try to do at least 2 out of 3 of these. He first 2 are walkways along the coast.
Ogunquit - Perkins Cove,The Marginal Way
Portland Head Lighthouse- just south of Portland
Booth Bay Harbor- Coastal ME Botanical Gardens

Then add these 2 “roadside” attractions along the way.
Len Libby’s in Scarborough. A chocolate shop with a life size chocolate moose along with 2 bear cubs. Great treats too :)
Delores mapping in Yarmouth. Take a 10 minute break to see Eartha, the world’s largest rotating globe. Not for everyone, but if you like maps & globes like me, then it’s pretty cool.

Delores mapping in Yarmouth. Take a 10 minute break to see Eartha, the world’s largest rotating globe. Not for everyone, but if you like maps & globes like me, then it’s pretty cool.

That's Delorme, and the globe is definitely pretty cool. About halfway between Portland and LL Bean (Freeport).

As I've mentioned before, we have summered in Mid-Coast Maine for 20 years. Resurrecting one of my old posts that might be useful here

Here is a list of things that I would recommend, going north from Portland to Bar Harbor on Route 1:

1. Go to the gigantic L.L. Bean store in Freeport, as well as some of the other clothing outlets on the main street. We don't go anymore, but it is a shopping experience not to be missed by a 14 year old girl.

2. Go to Orr's and Bailey's Islands in Casco Bay (yes, you can drive there). Have lunch at Cook's Lobster House on Baileys Island. If you don't sit outside, get a table with a view of the famous Bailey's Island Bridge, the only cribstone bridge in the world (over which you will have driven to get there).

3. Stop in Wiscasset, Maine and shop in all the antique and used book stores and art galleries. You might be tempted by a lobster roll from Red's, but Sarah's across the road is a better place to eat.

4. Go to the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay. Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens: Discover Spectacular Gardens and Waterfront Landscapes on 250 Acres in Boothbay, Maine - Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens You might visit Boothbay Harbor while you are there (we think it is kitschy and prefer Camden instead)

5. Damariscotta has a nice downtown shopping area. The Coastal Maine Book Store is a great independent book store. A good meal can be had at the Damariscotta River Grill or, if you've not yet had your fill of them, go to Larson's Lunch Box for a lobster roll. We think they're the best in Maine. Drive down the peninsula to Pemaquid Light, which is one of the most picturesque lighthouses on the Maine coast.

6. Stop at Moody's Diner in Waldoboro for the blueberry pie. http://www.moodysdiner.com/

7. Stop in Rockland and take a windjammer day cruise on Penobscot Bay. Look online as there are a variety of choices. While you're there, visit the Farnsworth Art Museum, particularly if you are fans of Andrew Wyeth. Farnsworth Art Museum | Celebrating Maine's Role in American Art You might also enjoy a drive/hike out to Owl's Head light, which has got to be the best base housing in the Coast Guard. Owl's Head Lighthouse, Owl's Head, Maine

8. Go to Camden, which I think is one of the most beautiful towns in existence. Hike up Mount Megunticook, in Camden Hills State Park for a spectacular view of town (you can start on the trail right from downtown) or drive out five minutes and climb the trail to the Maiden Cliff on the other side of the mountain. Maine Bureau of Parks & Lands - Search for Parks and Properties When you get back down, have lunch at the Waterfront Restaurant. http://www.waterfrontcamden.com/

There is a lot more to do in Maine, but for the part between Portland and Bar Harbor, I think these are the best.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
Chuck, the park had a really nice restaurant there and you could come in hiking clothes. People that just came for the restaurant would be dressed up. Last time I was there was 2002. No clue if the restaurant still exists.

New England Visits

I am thinking of a road trip through the New England states. In particular I am thinking of New Hampshire, Vermont and upstate NY.

I am not interested in fighting the crowds to see the Fall colors, at least not yet.

When is a good time of the year to visit this area? What is worth driving out of the way to see? Where would you take your relatives if you wanted to show them something special?

Check out NewEngland.com they have great guides, suggestions and lots of knowledge about the area.

For what it is worth I took my wife who didn’t really know New England in the fall for a road trip there this past October. Traffic was never an issue, nor crowds and despite too much rain it was spectacular. We did Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine coast and then visited with friends in Massachusetts. Highly highly recommend you brave the fall as there is nothing like it!

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger a road trip to the New England area of our country in late Summer/Early-Fall. I am thinking of visiting Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and upstate New York.

I am planning on skipping the change of color season so as to avoid crowds and higher prices. My plan is to be gone by the time the color change happens.

Maybe I will do the colors some other year, but for now I suspect it's best for me to avoid the crowds.

All of the replies are great, but what would you and your fellow touring families like to do? (art culture, music performance, car racing, leaf peeping, maple syrup, ocean culture?)

Basically most of northern New England will give you a "quintessential" experience, but you need to slice it a little thinner to let us help.

We are interested in natural beauty so some good State Park recommendations would be appreciated.

We are also interested in American history. We figure Boston will have a lot of historical sites, but any other recommendations will be appreciated.

Speaking of Boston, what's a good are to stay in that is convenient to the historical sites? Convenient means a short walk (under 30 minutes) or a quick trip on the subway. I don't mind spending somewhat more on a hotel that is well located. We would like to be able to ditch the rental car in Boston. IIRC, Boston streets were built for horse drawn carriages, not cars.

We are interested in natural beauty so some good State Park recommendations would be appreciated.

We are also interested in American history. We figure Boston will have a lot of historical sites, but any other recommendations will be appreciated.

Speaking of Boston, what's a good are to stay in that is convenient to the historical sites? Convenient means a short walk (under 30 minutes) or a quick trip on the subway. I don't mind spending somewhat more on a hotel that is well located. We would like to be able to ditch the rental car in Boston. IIRC, Boston streets were built for horse drawn carriages, not cars.

When we've spent long weekends in Boston, we've stayed at the Lenox Hotel and quite enjoyed it. It is well located in a nice area and there is a T stop half a block away.

While you're up there, deke over to the Hopewell Rocks:

Deke over? I guess you can call it that, with the drive being only 300 miles from Bar Harbor.

Then, as you are already in Canada, might as well drive a little more eastward to Cape Breton, or go north to Caraquet and beyond.

Where do you stop and turn around, or do you just keep on driving?

Where do you stop and turn around, or do you just keep on driving?
cartoon.jpg
[/url]

Here are some top of mind choices,YMMV:

Natural beauty
Maine - A drive along Rt 1 from the New Hampshire border to Boothbay is quintessential Maine. Go as far as Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor if you are so motivated. Freeport and LL Bean is a highlight and of course Portland. After about 30 miles, you'll want lobster even if you don't think you want it now.
- VT: A drive on Rt 7 From Burlington VT south to Manchester to Bennington will give you a great view of VT. Bonus points for continuing south on Rt 7 to the Berkshires of Massachusetts and the towns of North Adams, Williamstown, Lenox, etc for culture, especially during summer culture season and leaf peeper season (early October)
NY: Finger lakes area has many state parks and wineries, look at Rt 414 and rt 14 near Seneca Lake. Ithaca and Cornell are great, Taughannock Falls near Ithaca is a must stop if you like waterfalls.
Mass: The Berkshires for mountains and Cape Cod or the North Shore for an ocean experience, Boston for the history and sports if you are a fan, as well as all the culture you can handle. Everyone knows about Cape cod but the North Shore is a little less crazy and very scenic (Gloucester, Rockport, Manchester-by-the-Sea).
NH: The seashore and Mt Washington are highlights.
RI: Newport and the Ocean Walk are very nice, Providence has a nice restaurant scene and the ocean beaches are rocky but have their own beauty.

Boston - We've stayed at the Intercontinental a few times but a little further south or near Quincy Market can save you money. There are usually good weekend deals in Cambridge near MIT, see Royal Sonesta as an example. If you have a private club reciprocal privileges the Union Club is classic old school with very accommodating service, with the Boston Statehouse (see the Sacred Cod) on one side, the Boston common on the other and the Granary burying ground on the other (Think Paul Revere et al). The Freedom Trail is a nice walk as well. Back Bay near the Symphony Hall is great for Music and Art lovers. Walking is recommended - we go in December and walk all over downtown (3-5 miles a day, the 'T' can be used if it gets rainy.
The JFK Presidential Library and Ted Kennedy Institute for the US Senate are great recent history spots. Fanueil Hall is touristy but fun, the Italian restaurants in the North End are special. Legal Seafood is a general favorite. There is a Sam Adams brewery and the Cheers bar if you're into beverages.
Hope this helps, if you want any additional info just ask.

The OP did not say how much time he will allow for the trip. One week? One month? Two months?

Two months will allow you to wander around for the late summer and go home in fall. You are retired, so what's the rush to go home?

I still remember many years ago in a leaf-peeping trip, without planning we ended up in Salem near Halloween time. It was magical. I tried to duplicate this experience a few years ago in an RV trip to the Canadian Maritimes, but had to go home because of some problems.

I will make another long RV trip to the region, but do not know when. I still have not been to the Finger Lakes region. And I am sure I will find other places to linger around, taking the back roads.

Ah, all this talk makes my feet itchy. After the current home project, which is about done, I need to spend time on my RV to do some maintenance work.

Looking forward to reading a report on your New England trip. :)

DH and I met in Portland, ME (1979). He still has a few family members in Maine.

I tried (not successfully) to quote the recommendation to eat at Sarah's at Wiscassett. That was a wonderful restaurant last couple times we stopped in and I always recommend it to friends traveling that way. Boothbay Harbor, Bar Harbor, Yarmouth Clam Festival, LL Beans in Freeport, Portland Museum of Art (where I worked)....Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse.

Please report back. It is so very lovely.

PoorOldCountryBoy said:
Here are some top of mind choices,YMMV:

Natural beauty
Maine - A drive along Rt 1 from the New Hampshire border to Boothbay is quintessential Maine. Go as far as Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor if you are so motivated. Freeport and LL Bean is a highlight and of course Portland. After about 30 miles, you'll want lobster even if you don't think you want it now.

I'm a bit confused by this route. From what I can tell Rt1 is on the East edge of Main while New Hampshire is on the West edge. How would I best connect the two edges with a scenic drive?

We are planning a 2 to 3 week trip with a final two days I. Boston before flying home.

Last edited:
If of the adventurous type, take a morning or afternoon schooner trip around Boothbay Harbor. We have also taken a trip out to Monhegan Island, which was a trip by ferry out to an artist/hippie colony off the shore of Maine. Once a whaling and fishing town, the shops are somewhat interesting.We have also traveled inland and northward into cranberry and blueberry country. Regardless of where you go in Maine, be sure to take/buy plenty of bug spray as the fleas/misquitos/black flies are atrocious in June.

I Regardless of where you go in Maine, be sure to take/buy plenty of bug spray as the fleas/misquitos/black flies are atrocious in June.

We are planning a visit in September right after Labor Day. Hopefully the little critters will not be so numerous. Or:confused:?

I think we will do just that. North towards BoothBay, Bar Harbor and Acadia. From there, is still up in the air.

We will have about 2.5 weeks before flying home. Boston will be last on our list. After a few days there, we will fly home.

I'm a bit confused by this route. From what I can tell Rt1 is on the East edge of Main while New Hampshire is on the West edge. How would I best connect the two edges with a scenic drive?

We are planning a 2 to 3 week trip with a final two days I. Boston before flying home.
New Hampshire touches the Atlantic for about 16 miles between Massachusetts and Maine. Rte 1 goes from Boston, through that little strip of New Hampshire and up into Maine, running generally close to the coast.

P.S. - if you were going to spend time up in the White Mountains in New Hampshire, I'd take US 302 from Conway, NH to Portland, ME, and pick up US 1 North from there.

Last edited:
New Hampshire touches the Atlantic for about 16 miles between Massachusetts and Maine. Rte 1 goes from Boston, through that little strip of New Hampshire and up into Maine, running generally close to the coast.

P.S. - if you were going to spend time up in the White Mountains in New Hampshire, I'd take US 302 from Conway, NH to Portland, ME, and pick up US 1 North from there.

Of course! It’s right there on my map. My bad for missing it. We West Coasters keep thinking of hundreds of miles of one side of a state bordering the ocean. I guess another paradigm shift is in order. :eek:

Of course! It’s right there on my map. My bad for missing it. We West Coasters keep thinking of hundreds of miles of one side of a state bordering the ocean. I guess another paradigm shift is in order. :eek:
Don't feel bad. I only know it because I've driven up into Maine through New Hampshire every summer for the past 20 years. They have giant tax free NH state liquor stores right on the highway, so we stop there.

Sorry, just listing things by state. A cross over from the Maine coast to NH can be as short as crossing the bridge in Kittery in the south to a getting lost in the back woods with no streets, just lumber grids in the North. If you are going all the way down to Kittery (Think outlet mall heaven/first tourist trap for the northbound folks), then you could take rt 16 toward Rochester NH or rt 101 to Manchester NH.

For a scenic drive that can be colorful Sept 15 or so in the fall, look at Rt 111/202 between Biddeford ME to Concord NH. It's about 2 hours depending on traffic and stops.

I would not try to go across the state in the far north, there are some roads to do so but unless you're aiming for the woods/hiking etc, you're not going to see many touristy things. That said many go to camps up North every year in those parts and absolutely love it, I'm assuming you're looking to "see the sights".

I think we will do just that. North towards BoothBay, Bar Harbor and Acadia. From there, is still up in the air.

We will have about 2.5 weeks before flying home. Boston will be last on our list. After a few days there, we will fly home.

Oops should have read the rest of the thread - sounds like you're getting a plan together.

+1000 on the stinging insects. There are little ones around the seashore too. It's just an annoyance but if you can tolerate going after the first frost you can minimize the bugs.

Based on your discussion I'd aim for a little later for foliage. Maybe Sept 25-early October or so. if you google search "peak Maine foliage" the first thing to come up is from the Maine state governments' tourist page with lots of good descriptions of events last October. As you move from the coast to the mountains, the foliage turns a couple weeks earlier. You can save money on hotels avoiding peak, we tend to go late when everything is closing up but we like the look when at least half of the leaves have fallen.

To max your foliage, fly into Bar Harbor, and drive south. Acadia NP is far more intimate than most western NPs, but still worth a visit-hiking and biking will give you the best look at it.

Had relatives who retired to East Boothbay for a number of years. it was a very nice place to visit. at the end of you planning effort, best strategy would be to pick a few areas and enjoy those. Each town has its own story but there are many similarities. Enjoy your trip!

The White Mountains

We figure we will spend about two days in the White Mountains, driving the scenic roads, stopping for photos and getting in a few hikes (1-4 miles).

Any suggestions for well located towns in the White Mountain area where we can rent a room for about 3 nights? All we need are clean rooms and descent restaurants, not chain fast food joints.

Back
Top Bottom