A road trip through New England

North Conway is probably your best bet.

I'm a bit confused by this route. From what I can tell Rt1 is on the East edge of Main while New Hampshire is on the West edge. How would I best connect the two edges with a scenic drive?

We are planning a 2 to 3 week trip with a final two days I. Boston before flying home.

To get to/from the White Mountains in NH to coast of Maine you’ll have to look at google maps. It’ll depend on where you want to go - southern Maine - Kittery? Just North- Portland?

Re: where to stay in the Whites - North Conway NH or Lincoln NH and drive across the Kangamangus highway/stops in the White Mountain National Park for outdoor hikes/nature. I prefer North Conway/Jackson NH area for lodging.

Also Boston is a very walkable city so anyplace you stay in the city proper will be fine. It’s easy to walk or take the T.

Last edited:
my only recommendation is this: If you see a small country restaurant near the coast of Maine with a sign that says "Lobsterpalooza", stop there.

my only recommendation is this: If you see a small country restaurant near the coast of Maine with a sign that says "Lobsterpalooza", stop there.

This isn't the one you mean, is it?

IMG_0164.jpg

If you are spending the day in Portland - take the ferry over to Peaks island - you don’t even have to get off - then take it back - great views at a nice price.
If you do get off - it is about a 3 mile walk around the island - you can rent bikes - and there is a store with sandwiches or at least 3 restaurants.

North Conway is probably your best bet.

+1. We stayed in North Conway at the Colonial Motel in 2017. It was ok IIRC.

Ate at Delaney's Hole in the Wall. It was great.

We did some 1-4 mile hikes around Franconia Notch / Flume Gorge. Very nice.

Last edited:
Vermont

If you had four full days in Vermont and wanted to take in some of its history and beauty what one city would you stay in that would allow interesting day trips?

Vermont

If you had four full days in Vermont and wanted to take in some of its history and beauty what one city would you stay in that would allow interesting day trips?

Rutland - it is centrally located and you can easily go from there to Burlington, Lake Champlain, Fort Ticonderoga, Lake George, Saratoga, Bennington and Chester. Burlington would be an alternative, but it is further north and out of the way.

You should plan to ride the Green Mountain Railroad's dinner train from Burlington to Middlebury and back, or the trip from Chester to Ludlow and back.

Vermont

I'd probably base out of the state capital in Montpelier... they don't call that area Central Vermont for nothing.... less than an hour to Burlington and the Champlain Valley, Waterbury/Stowe and Ben & Jerry's, St. Johnsbury and right next door to Barre (Granite Capital of the World). I would recommend the Capitol Plaza Hotel in Montpelier... kiddy-corner across the street from the Vermont State House.

Some possible day trips:

• Fairbanks Museum & Planetarium and Maple Grove Farms in St. Johnsbury (with a side trip to Cabot Cheese Factory on the way back to Montpelier)
  • Ben & Jerry's Factory and Cold Hollow Cider Mill in Waterbury
  • Mt. Mansfield (Toll Road or Gondola) and The Alchemist in Stowe
  • Rock of Ages Visitor Center, Hope Cemetery and Vermont History Museum in Barre
  • Vermont State Capital Building and Morse Farm in Montpelier
  • Shelburne Museum and Shelburne Farms in Shelburne
  • ECHO/Leahy Center for Lake Champlain, the Spirit of Ethan Allen and UVM in Burlington

If you do end up further south, we visited the President Calvin Coolidge Historical Site in Plymouth Notch a couple years ago and found that really interesting.

Last edited:
Vermont

Rutland, Manchester, Burlington. Each is a little different. Touring along Rt 7 is a great way to go. If you're going to/from Maine you might want to try Montpelier (along I-89).

New Hampshire

Other than the White Mountains, what scenic and historical sites are recommended for a visitor?

Yes, I am getting excited about visiting New England. [emoji3]

New Hampshire

Other than the White Mountains, what scenic and historical sites are recommended for a visitor?

Portsmouth is a fun little city to visit and walk around in.
Nice shops. You can check out Strawberry Banke which
is a preserved section of colonial homes with tours.

This isn't the one you mean, is it?

View attachment 33967

Many years ago, on a New England road trip from Boston, we ran across a McDonald's with a similar sign. I remember pointing it out to my wife, but did not stop in.

Just now recall this. What's wrong with their lobster roll? I looked on the Web, and found that it was only occasionally offered, and usually sold out pretty quick.

See this Web posting in 2015.

This delicious, yummy, regional favorite includes a generous portion of 100% Real North Atlantic Lobster mixed with mayonnaise dressing, layered on crisp leaf and shredded lettuce and served on a home-style toasted roll.

I’m not kidding – these Lobster Rolls were so difficult to get because they were sold out like crazy!! They really are very popular and it made it even more exciting for us to get one!! It became a family joke after awhile because we tried 5 times to get a Lobster Roll and every time we went, we were told to “try back tomorrow!”

FINALLY! Yes, FINALLY we got one!!

To be honest, me and my husband were so surprised as to how much lobster meat there was the roll when we ordered it. It was a perfect mix for us of the lettuce and mayo… it just really good – and we’re New England lobster lovers!!

The Lobster Roll was only $7.99 and has 290 calories.

McDonalds-lobster-roll-fri.jpg

I've had a number of the McDonalds lobster rolls when they were offering them in our area. The were actually pretty good... especially for the price. Haven't seen them lately though.

New Hampshire

Well there is the lakes region of mid NH. Lake Winnepesaukee, Squam lake, Newfound lake, Lake Sunapee are all nice.
Winnepesaukee is the big one ad very crowded up until labor day.

Can ride the gondola up MT Sunapee ski area. Can also do this in the white mountains up Cannon Mountain in Franconia notch. can drive up Mt Washington at 6288 foot elevation an exhilarating trip.
Could visit the Dartmouth college campus in Hanover (not far from the white mountains or lakes region)

As mentioned down on the seacoast there is Strawberry Banke.
There are some nice rides along the ocean in Rye and Portsmouth area.

I live in NH so I'll try to come up with some more options soon.

Rte 100 South to North in VT is one of my all time favorite drives.

If you are a foodie and in the area, try the Silver Spoon in Manchester VT.... if you can get in. Tiny place books up months ahead. Not cheap, but not stupid expensive either. My favorite restaurant on the whole planet.

This is getting tiresome.

But, I regret I must postpone my trip to the New England states. Covid has made us uncomfortable traveling by air, staying in hotels and such. Also, the hassle factor of having to wear masks indoors, social distancing at historical sites, issues with dining out, etc. etc. etc. have made me think we will be spending a good chunk of dough and not getting the fun and enjoyment we expect from this trip.

I've done several short trips locally, and have confirmed that the CV precautions take away a lot out of the enjoyment of travel. The one exception is outdoor activities such as hiking and biking - mainly because we don't usually need to wear a mask, and there are few crowd problems. (Just don't arrive at a National Park at 1:00 PM and expect easy parking, plenty of scenic campsites and no traffic on the roads).

So, goodbye to 2020 trip #4.

Thanks to all who have offered advice. The key word above is postponed. This thread will be here for 2021 and beyond.

This is getting tiresome.

But, I regret I must postpone my trip to the New England states. Covid has made us uncomfortable traveling by air, staying in hotels and such. Also, the hassle factor of having to wear masks indoors, social distancing at historical sites, issues with dining out, etc. etc. etc. have made me think we will be spending a good chunk of dough and not getting the fun and enjoyment we expect from this trip.
I'm so sorry to read this! Even though we don't travel, I know travel is an important part of a happy retired life, to many on this forum.

We have been exploring New Orleans during this time, which has been fun for us. Even though he is a native and has lived here almost all his life, he enjoys doing this too. I like looking for actual houses or streets where historic people lived or historic events occurred. It's sort of like going on an historical scavenger hunt, because we never know what we might find or not find. The advantage of doing this (as opposed to travel) is that we can do it in the car, without a mask, and it only takes an hour or two. We haven't been more than 10 miles from home.

We have both been wistfully thinking of the antique/junk shops we love in Ponchatoula, a small town 40 miles to our north. They were so much fun to browse through, back in the day. Among many other things (such as cheap artwork) I got my crystal ball up there. This is the one that I often show in a photo. He got a slide rule that is identical to the one he had long ago in college. But, we aren't enthused about driving that far, especially with COVID and not knowing what we might encounter. Besides, those shops are probably closed (or out of business by now). Maybe in a few months. :(

^ That's too bad. We were supposed to be in Maine now. But we cancelled also - actually our airbnb cancelled us.

Sorry for both of you, but this was not the year for a trip to Maine. It would not have been the great place it usually is. Among other things, you would have had to either quarantine for 14 days upon your arrival in Maine or have tested negative for COVID within 72 hours of arrival.

We did go up to our vacation house in Maine for the first two weeks of July, but it was a different experience. We usually go out to eat at restaurants 5 or 6 times while we're there, as well as going to Portland, shopping at LL Bean, browsing all the local antique shops and such. We did none of that this year, as it was all closed. We just stayed at home, boated on the lake and read books.

Maine changes very slowly, so it will still all be there next year. With any luck, you'll be able to enjoy everything it has to offer then.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom