AARP Medicare Supplement Household Discount

Katsmeow

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My question: I know that AARP UHC Medicare Supplement offers a 5% discount on premiums for both spouses in the same household. DH already has his supplement through AARP UHC and is a member of AARP. I am thinking of signing up for an AARP UHC Plan G supplement as I will start Medicare in April.

I know I saw a website that described exactly what you had to do to get the supplement. I seem to vaguely recall that it said that both members of the couple had to be on the same account and gave other instructions. I now can't find that web page description. Does anyone know where I can find that information perhaps because you have seen it yourself?

I am not sure what was meant by same account. Maybe same AARP account? I have seen that a spouse can add the other spouse to their AARP account. We haven't done that but can do it if necessary.

A significant plus of the AARP UHC Medicare Supplement for me is getting this discount for DH and me so I want to make sure I do it correctly.

To add a bit more detail not strictly necessary for my question above...

I recently had a separate thread about my Medicare Supplement choices. I get an HRA through DH's retiree insurance for coverage I place through Via Benefits or to pay Medicare Part B premiums. I don't find most of the Via Benefits supplements very compelling pricewise. They do offer the AARP UHC supplement. But, I am thinking I will place my Part D through Via Benefits and get reimbursed for my Part B premiums. That will use up most (but not quite all of my HRA...I will be leaving about $150 on the table since the prescription drug plans are all either really inexpensive or really expensive and I only take one very cheap prescription).

I could get the AARP UHC Medicare Supplement through Via Benefits but, honestly, I don't trust them not to mess up the discount part so I want to do that myself, not involving Via Benefits.

OK -- with no responses after 226 views it appears that no one knows where to find this online. So, let me ask this a different way.

If there is anyone on here who gets the AARP UHC medicare supplement discount -- what did you do to get it? Did your spouse who already had it add you to their AARP account? Did you call someone?

Wife and Myself, both have AARP, F, plan. Member of AARP, and wife added. So only pay one membership. Never heard of "family" discount?

Maybe this is the site? Note the URL, and the fine-print note at the bottom, as this particular site is for employers...
Choosing AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance

I also remember seeing the AARP/UHC 5% discount when I had a login at CSGActuarial.com

On the site I linked above, my interpretation is same AARP account. Maybe UHC uses that "same account" as a check that the two people really DO have a relationship.

Okay, just found something more definitive in a July 1st 2017 through June 1st 2018 signup document here:
https://smsteam.net/wp-content/uploads/products/med-supp/aarp/aarp_medsupp_handbook_TX.pdf

See page 7, where I clipped out:

SAVE 5% with the Multi-Insured Discount
You can each take 5% off your monthly premiums
if two members are enrolled under the same AARP
membership number and each is insured under an
AARP-branded supplemental insurance policy with
UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company

I have also seen in multiple places that both people do NOT need to have the same letter plan to qualify for the discount.

Okay, just found something more definitive in a July 1st 2017 through June 1st 2018 signup document here:
https://smsteam.net/wp-content/uploads/products/med-supp/aarp/aarp_medsupp_handbook_TX.pdf

See page 7, where I clipped out:

SAVE 5% with the Multi-Insured Discount
You can each take 5% off your monthly premiums
if two members are enrolled under the same AARP
membership number and each is insured under an
AARP-branded supplemental insurance policy with
UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company

I have also seen in multiple places that both people do NOT need to have the same letter plan to qualify for the discount.

Thank you. That is exactly the information I was looking for. DH and I won't have the same letter plan. He has F and I will get G (which wasn't available here when he got his plan).

wolf and ShokWave Rider -- this discount is for a married couple who both have a supplement through AARP UHC. They each a 5% discount on premiums. I just want to be sure I do this right. It sounds like I need to have DH add me to his AARP account rather than me getting my own ... I will call to verify.

Back
Top Bottom