Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Scan

RetireBy90

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just went in for a physical because DW was worried. Seems my BIL had a rupture of an abdominal aorta (The abdominal aorta ?). He got to hospital within about 20 minutes and has recovered for the most part.

Seems that the Tricare wants to do a lot of tests. Went to Walter Reed to get an ultrasound scan of the aorta, and also heart scan/EBCT (Electron beam computerized tomography). Only issue was I had to fast for 6 hours before the scan, no fluids, no water, no food. Very professional and quick.

Guess I'm wondering if others in early 60s have also been sent in for abdominal aortic scan ? Wondering how common it is as I've never heard of anyone having this done.

I had one last year. Nothing wrong found, fortunately.

My understanding is that it is now a standard recommendation for any male over 50 who has ever smoked.

I've had a couple because it was included in a package of tests I had done. The reality is this is one of those tests that's marketed to people by those testing companies that most people really don't need. Lifelong heavy smokers are the real target audience. That's the only demographic that benefits from it. And, I suppose, anyone who has a "thing" that runs in the family indicating the test.

I would think that they would start by doing an electrocardiogram. Then if it looked funny, they'd put you on the treadmill for the before and after (shot) heart scan. Then if something looked funny on the scan, they'd go to the aortic test.

I'm sure aortic scans are done, but they're not the first test performed unless you are having problems. There are so many more heart problems seen and tested for than an aneurysm.

My mother had a huge heart aneurysm, and had that ticking bomb removed. She lived from 75 to 91 years of age in a fragile state--attended to by a great cardiologist.

I thought that scan was for smokers or people who smoked regularly in the past. I don’t know if a tiny bit of smoking as a teenager counts.

I have them do annual scans (now Echo’s) for my ascending aorta vs my abdominal. When I was having my scans for Hodgkin’s lymphoma 5 years ago, they found I had an aneurysm which fortunately hasn’t grown since it was found.

DW has one, and goes in every 6 months for a scan. Her blood pressure lowered, and it seems to be in control.

I thought that scan was for smokers or people who smoked regularly in the past. I don’t know if a tiny bit of smoking as a teenager counts.

You are right—from Medicare: “Medicare Part B covers an annual lung cancer screening and LDCT scan if all of the following apply: You are age 55-77. You currently smoke or have quit smoking in the past 15 years. You smoked or have smoked an average of one pack per day for at least 30 years.”

My understanding is that it is now a standard recommendation for any male over 50 who has ever smoked.

This is close to what I’m being told. Already had the EKG. The abdominal aneurysm risk was mentioned. Abdominal ultrasound scheduled for next week. Age 63. Haven’t smoked for 15 yrs.

Bad deal for those on Tricare then since they won't authorize it unless you are a man and between the ages of 65-75. I assume this follows the medicare requirements since they mostly mirror each other.

Edit: above post shows that the medicare requirements are actually different.

I did see an ad on Google that you can have one done for about $150 out of pocket, though.

Bad deal for those on Tricare then since they won't authorize it unless you are a man and between the ages of 65-75.

If you're authorized VA care they will do it for free. That's where I got mine.

If you're authorized VA care they will do it for free. That's where I got mine.

Ah, gotcha. The Tricare thing is a bit odd since at that age, you would be on Tricare for life which is the Medicare supplement. So I assume it would be covered earlier under Medicare...then why is even listed as a Tricare benefit? No matter, I haven't smoked and still in my mid 40's so not too worried about it. :)

No matter, I haven't smoked and still in my mid 40's so not too worried about it. :)

As we all know, everyone sees healthcare recommendations differently. I quit smoking in 1973 so I figured it was a waste of time, but that didn't faze my doc at all -- he wanted me to get the AAA anyway.

Bad deal for those on Tricare then since they won't authorize it unless you are a man and between the ages of 65-75. I assume this follows the medicare requirements since they mostly mirror each other.

Edit: above post shows that the medicare requirements are actually different.

I did see an ad on Google that you can have one done for about $150 out of pocket, though.

I have Tricare, only 63 and they recommended it and no cost.:confused:

I had one this year, normal so won’t be called back. All men aged 65 and older are scanned regardless of smoking history. Didn’t take long.

Actually, there was one downside to the AAA.

This was the first time I had ever been subjected to an ultrasound scan, and I thought I'd try to make the technician laugh so I said "Will this tell me whether it's a boy or a girl?"

She just rolled her eyes and muttered "If I had a dollar ..."

So I would counsel others to avoid trying to be clever. They've heard 'em all.

Back
Top Bottom