About Mortality

old medic

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
May I share a story with y'all...

A young couple are excitedly expecting their child, planned to be a home birth. Birthing goes without issue, but within hours the child shows issues with eating. Would nurse a few minutes before throwing up... Then started with breathing problems... Off to the ER. and get informed he has pneumonia from aspirating. He gets transferred to a larger medical hospital, and at 4 DAYS OLD is diagnosed with a TE Fistula and given a 50% chance of surviving surgery...
18 days later he gets brought home.. but continues to have recurrent issues with pneumonia and being hospitalized. This became his life... And his parents. He fought hard and struggled about every day but managed to survive.
On my last ambulance trip, I carried this "child" to the helipad to get transferred due to massive GI bleeding, and he again almost didn't survive. He now has a feeding tube. lives from a bag hanging from him...
This Child has done some outstanding stuff in his desire of Land Speed Racing...
He is now 36 and has set a few records on a motorcycle... last was at Loring Maine at over 200 mph

Last edited:
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.
Possibly his challenges as an infant gave him a different take on living your life to the fullest?
Makes me wonder if having challenges made him a stronger person.

Great story.
Our zest for life can overcome many things.

Wow. No one gets out alive, but your story really drives home the inequity of life - some have to struggle day after day from the beginning just to exist while others can just coast through. Luck of the draw? Be nice if there are points in heaven that are earned..

Back
Top Bottom