Absolute "must sees" for short trips to DC and NYC

If you are in moderate to OK shape DC's bike share program is a great way to get around from site to site without a lot of effort. The same thing is available in NYC and I understand they have added a boatload of bike lanes. Download a spotcycle app to show you where stations are and how many bikes/stations are available For a short trip to DC a circuit of the Mall, Arlington Cemetery, the monuments, the White House and the Capitol is a must. If you can't bike it, use a hop on hop off bus. If you are there on a weekend, while you are visiting the Capitol peddle over to Eastern Market to mill with the crowds at the outdoor craft and farmer's markets.

The Smithsonian.

+1 I particularly like the Air & Space Museum. Also, I would highly recommend the National Archives. There is something important about seeing the actual Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

Interesting thing...James Smithson never set foot in the U.S.

DC will be easy to do for teenage boys -

- Air & Space will be #1 I would think
- I would then think the American History Museum would be the next best bet over the Natural History Museum but depends on what they like
- Try to get tickets for a White House tour
- Capital Tour is good
- Definitely see the monuments in the mall from Lincoln to Washington
- Are they really into animals? Zoo has the giant pandas which are hard to find in other places
- Archives is a good idea
- Could do the Mint - I did that tour when I was about that age and still remember it but with limited time there are bigger places to go to
- If there's a supreme court nominee it might be interesting to go see protestors if there are some to talk about our freedoms and how government works

NYC
- Good suggestions so far. Might be interesting to hang out in Washington Square Park and see the street chess players for a bit

I forgot about the Bureau of Engraving & Printing. I'm sure your kids would enjoy seeing where paper money is printed. Tickets are required during the summer months.

U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing - Services

The National Zoo is excellent, but you folks in San Diego may have the world's best zoo, so I don't know if that would be high on your list.

For DC, the Spy Museum was better than I expected. It's not part of the Smithsonian, so there is a fee. They have a package that includes a group experience with spy-craft activities, which we enjoyed with our daughter. Based on your description of your two boys, I think this would be right up their alley. There's also a package with a walking tour of relevant sites, but it was freezing outside (literally) when we were there, so we didn't do that one. The Spy Museum is closest to the Gallery Place / Chinatown metro stop on the yellow line.

I also like to visit the National Archives occasionally. There's just something about seeing the original documents that gets to me. Archives has its own metro stop on the yellow line.

Other museums to consider on the mall are the Air & Space Museum and the Museum of American History. Maybe Natural History if you're not going to see the one in NY or if you feel a strong need to see the Hope Diamond.

You could also walk around the tidal basin and enjoy the monuments. You can see the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, WWII, Jefferson, FDR, MLK, Korean War and probably a couple of others on an urban hike of about 3 miles. Or you could rent bikes from one of the Bikeshare stands and do it that way.

There's Arlington cemetery. The changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldiers is very moving, and there are a lot of interesting monuments and stories behind them throughout the cemetery. Arlington is on the blue line.

The Marines do Evening Parade at 8th & I (you need tickets for this).

There's also the White House, the Capitol, Library of Congress, Supreme Court, etc -- way more than you can cover in 2.5 days, but hopefully this gives you some ideas.

The boys will love the Spy museum. It was my favorite experience when we spent a week in DC last May. They can easily spend 4+ hours in there and have a great time. It's also close to Ford's theater which has seriously upgraded their tour in the past 20 years.

You have to get tickets well in advance to get into the White House. It was cool to go there though.

I found the Supreme Court very interesting.

Visiting the monuments at night by bus tour was worth every penny, and since everything is really crowded, not having parking and taxi hassles is nice.

Use the Metro. You can get rechargeable cards at many retailers. We bought ours at a local Walgreens for $8. You don't have to take your card out of your wallet to go through, just hold the wallet over the sensor.

The Smithsonian is huge. Probably not enough time to do it justice. Maybe pick one or two to check out.

A tour of Mount Vernon down the Potomac is another idea. We took a boat in the Potomac to get there (6 hr total). That eats up most of a day though.

NY: Circle boat tour of Manhattan island is good. Just walking around Times Square is great, and free!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I lived in DC for a year. It is fun. Here are some thoughts

In one day you can do the Mall- Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, Vietnam memorial, and I think WW2 memorial and Korean memorial are in same area. If the day is hot, bring LOTS of water.

The white house is a walk from there as well. Bring water.

All the museums are free... I like air and space, my brother (which lived in Arlington) raved about the spy museum (I haven't done that yet). My parents love smithsonian. Any of those museums is a full day, minimum. Air and space likely 3 days, and the people suggesting smithsonian is a week plus are accurate based on what I have heard.

Arlington Cemetary is a good visit- I have done short trips to it more than once (3-4 hour trips). I also second going to old town Alexandria for a meal.

I also love Fords theatre- that is a short visit (you can do that in less than 4 hours), issue is it is further away than the other sites.

NYC I have only visited once. I stayed in Manhatten and did Radio City, Times square, and lots of stores in area for the 24 hours I was there.

Sounds like a great trip Rodi.

I have only a couple of suggestions for you to check out.

For DC, check out Washington's residence Mt Vernon. It' about 10 miles south of DC and offers a great look into life at the time of our first President. It's a nice reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the city.

For NYC, check out the "top of the Rock". Going to the top of the Rockefeller Center in lieu of the Empire State Building will save you about 2-3 hours of standing in line. Also, the view from the Rock is much better, IMHO, as you are directly between the ESB and Central Park.

Great job, I'm sure the boys will have a great time.

The boys would have great time climbing through the ductwork at the Spy Museum.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I know you are visiting family in the Philly area, but if you haven't been to the Barnes collection, it is a very unique art museum that gets you thinking about how art and design go together in very interesting ways. You definitely need tickets in advance for it.

I've got an equally know it all 15 year old daughter who listed her "must do's" for our upcoming NYC trip as Momofuku Ice Cream, shake Shack, and Big Gay (really, that's the name) Ice Cream. So, if your teenage boys want to meet teenage girls, go ice cream places, I guess.

Also, we will tour a few colleges. Columbia, NYU, perhaps Hofstra, St. John's.

Last edited:
+1 on Natural History Museum, particularly the "armory" exhibit. Sounds hokey, but is very interesting for adults as well as youngsters.

Since I'm a little late to this party... just a few thoughts on DC. 1) The Natural History Museum is currently renovating the dinosaur hall so, if your kids are dinosaur freaks, then the American Museum of Natural History in NYC will be much the better choice. 2) The Udvar-Hazy portion of Air and Space is FANTASTIC but is next to impossible to get to without a car. 3) Consider doing the mall/monuments at/just after sunset (or sunrise, but with teens this is not likely). The crowds are down, the heat is down and the light is beautiful. If you are really lucky, you'll get to the Korean War memorial in some fog - incredibly moving/creepy.

For NYC, I'd definitely vote for the Highline and Central Park. People watching and casual eating at anything that appeals to you is also good. What are the boys interested in? I'd suggest coming up with some suggestions and seeing what they're interested in. If they have any particular musical interests, check the listings in Time Out New York to see if there is anyone playing that would be of interest.

NYC--china town, WO HOPS. Canal/Mott street. I went here frequently back in 1980, thank you US NAVY! It's still there and still the best Chinese food, as verified by my son last year.

Thanks guys.

DC
I think we'll bike around the mall - perhaps at sunset or sunrise. (My kids actually DO wake up early. It's 5:30 here and they're up. Even on weekends they're up before me.

They both expressed interest in the Spy museum - so that's now on the list as well. I'll try to get tickets to the White House and/or Capital tours.

NYC - I've been many times but this will be the first time for the boys. We're staying near Central park (Beacon Hotel - above the Beacon theater). The thing they're most excited about is climbing to the crown on lady liberty. Times Square is a must. We'll combine Liberty Island, Wall Street, Ground Zero since they're all at the bottom of the island. I think we'll make sure to hit all the pizza and ice cream places mentioned.

Just sent my congressman my request for the various tours that can only be had through their office (White House, Capital tour, etc.) Fingers crossed.

Question about Capital Bikes ride share. It says you can have a bike for 30 minutes for free, then pay for additional time. Can you do multiple 30 minute rides in one day? We're thinking about exploring the mall from end to end - but would turn in the bikes before the 30 minute marks... to save money. Is this doable? Is this the way the system works - or is it 30 minutes per day free.

+1 on the Spy Museum. I bought my favorite keychain ever there in their gift shop. Since at the time I was both married and a firewall admin I thought the "Deny Everything" motto was doubly appropriate.

If you do go to one of the Ethiopian restaurants in DC, just don't order any fish. I learned an important lesson at one many years ago. As one of my Ethiopian friends told me later, "never order seafood in a landlocked country." But other than that, the food was both delicious and fun.

I was going to mention one of my personal favorites of the Smithsonian, the Freer Gallery. I particularly love James Whistler's Peacock Room. But I just checked and it looks like the Freer is closed for the year. Too bad.

Other than that, the Air and Space Museum and the Natural History Museum are a lot of fun for kids. I'd recommend the Zoo, but y'all are from San Diego, so never mind.

Maybe the White House tour, if the kids would be into that. Some people are impressed.

Question about Capital Bikes ride share. It says you can have a bike for 30 minutes for free, then pay for additional time. Can you do multiple 30 minute rides in one day? We're thinking about exploring the mall from end to end - but would turn in the bikes before the 30 minute marks... to save money. Is this doable? Is this the way the system works - or is it 30 minutes per day free.
Yes, you can do multiple 30 minute trips per day. However, for a 1 day membership, you still have to pay a $10 per person membership fee. According to their website, you have to be at least 16 years old to become a member.

DC: We used a free app from the National Park Service that was a walking tour of the mall. It was a LONG walk, but efficient. I had my teenage son with me and I wanted him to see and understand the 3 branches of government. So Capital Building, Supreme Court and Whitehouse were key. With your limited time, tours through each will consume lots of time, so maybe a photo-op and fly by. My fav was the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. PALLETS of money!

We spent a week there and just scratched the surface. As a side note, there is a food court at Union Station, cheap and everyone can get what they want. There was a good food court at the Old Post Office but Trump bought it and is turning it into a hotel.

The Holocaust Museum I believe is important for all to see. The National Archives and the Air and Space Museum would be next on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

NYC: Times Square, Statue of Liberty. My favs were the Fountain of Bethesda in Central Park and walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. The Empire State Building tour was good but LONG wait times in line.

We went to see Blue Man Group off Broadway and then rode the Subway at night. Felt a little uncomfortable but it was fine. Would take a taxi next time.

I always put my son in charge of GPS navigation. Kids these days are masters at technology. It gave him something to do and proved to him that he could not only survive but thrive ANYWHERE.

Best hardware. External battery to keep the cell phones charged. No phone=lost.

Yes, you can do multiple 30 minute trips per day. However, for a 1 day membership, you still have to pay a $10 per person membership fee. According to their website, you have to be at least 16 years old to become a member.

I missed that about being 16 to be a member... One will be 13 and the other 15. Doh!

Spy museum is definitely on the list now - I got enthusiasm from them on that one.

I've only been to DC 3 times... Twice were day trips where I took the train from Philly - took a cab from Union Station to lawyers' office - spent the day being witness prepped for arbitration in an IP corporate case - then returned by train to Philly... no sight seeing. The other time was with friends to see the Holocaust museum right after opened...

So the system of requesting official tours through your congressional rep's office is pretty neat. I have my tour slot for the Capital Tour. The staff will put in for tours of Bureau of Engraving and Whitehouse when those dates open up (too far out right now). One stop shopping with someone else managing the booking windows for me. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom