AC for the outdoors?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Seems like NBC has put their green policy on hold this week in Beijing. I wonder what this will do for global warming?

WTHR, the NBC affiliate for Indianapolis, reported from Beijing and described the NBC set used for the network's two highest rated news broadcasts, “NBC Nightly News” and “Today,” as air conditioned – even though it is outdoors.

“The set is outside, but air conditioning vents make the weather bearable,” Anne Marie Tiernon wrote for WTHR Eyewitness News on August 14.

Even NBC “Today” co-host Matt Lauer remarked about the air conditioning, but said it was still uncomfortable even with it.

Not Green: NBC Beijing Olympic Set Air Conditioned -- Outdoors

mickeyd, now you are just making me depressed.

I wonder why these games are even held in August, and not in, say, June or September.

I guess I just imagine that most places in the Northern Hemisphere are more hot and oppressive in August than in other months.

Makes me wonder whether Olympics will ever be held in South America, Africa (southern), or Australia. The "winter" Olympics would have to be held in our summer, and "summer" Olympics during the Northern Hemisphere's winter...

Possible?

I guess I just imagine that most places in the Northern Hemisphere are more hot and oppressive in August than in other months.

Makes me wonder whether Olympics will ever be held in South America, Africa (southern), or Australia. The "winter" Olympics would have to be held in our summer, and "summer" Olympics during the Northern Hemisphere's winter...

Possible?

Weren't olympics in Australia recently?

okay! I really pay zero attention to the Olympics..! I guess that is obvious.

soo.. uhm.. was that in August? And was the Australian weather 'summery' or 'wintery'?
and did they need to A/C the outside?

SOooryy to intimate that they might be harder-pressed to have "winter" events like skiing .. in the southern hemisphere, in what is their "summer".

You wouldn't want their makeup to run, would you?

In Dallas, there's an ampitheater at Fair Park (state fair grounds, Cotton Bowl) with "conditioned air" beneath the pavilion. Used to be a/c, but last time I was there, to see Toby Keith, it seemed to be just giant fans.

The last summer Olympics were held in Sydney - Southern Hemisphere.

No doubt there was some sort of plot involved...;)

I think the last one was held in Athens.... two ago was Sydney...

Why did they hold it in August.... BECAUSE OF NUMBERS.... It stated 8/8/8 at 8:08 PM.... the Chinese like the number 8....

But the point is, that after the Olympics, NBC will go back to airing its "Going Green" segments.

On the subject of green, anyone notice the size of the Olympic flame at the "Birdsnest"? Must be using a bunch of fuel to keep that huge thing going.

I recall the flame at the past Olympics being much smaller except for the opening and closing ceremonies. I know that was the case at Nagano in '98 - I saw it in person. One more example of China's "whatever it takes" to make a good impression on the world audience?

mickeyd, now you are just making me depressed.

I wonder why these games are even held in August, and not in, say, June or September.

A/C on an outdoor set is not even a drop in the bucket of the total energy used to put the games on at all.

Fly the participants, trainers, staff, and visitors from around world? Build the (often) temporary facilities? The list goes on and on.

Better to make even a tiny, tiny amount of progress in areas that affect larger a population 365 days a year, every year, than to get too excited about a few days of outdoor A.C for a few dozen people for a few days.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom