The later years

i just turned 80, and joined the United Flying Octogenarians (UFO) as their youngest member.
I just passed my flight physical and check ride, so I am good for another 2 years. I have to thank Mom (died at 102) and Dad (died at 92) for my genes.
We plan to stay in this home (+55 mobile home park) unless circumstances force a change.
We have cut way back on travel, now taking shorter road trips. DW cannot handle the "on the bus off the bus, bags outside at 8 AM" excursions any more.

That would mean you ER'd at 71?

When I turn 80, my little guy will be 18 and heading off to college. I am expecting to "hit up" a few "frat parties" and like the "the old blind squirrel" maybe stumble upon a fresh young acorn.

When I turn 80, my little guy will be 18 and heading off to college. I am expecting to "hit up" a few "frat parties" and like the "the old blind squirrel" maybe stumble upon a fresh young acorn.

Really?? Most of the young (70 ish) acorns will be 2nd or 3rd hand by then and not too fresh! :LOL:

Really?? Most of the young (70 ish) acorns will be 2nd or 3rd hand by then and not too fresh! :LOL:

What:confused:?
My Wife will only be 51!!!!
I am talking about college talent, like Di Niro in "Dirty Grandpa"!
( I realize he was only 72-73 at the time)

At 61, I seem to be awfully attractive to the 75+ set. It's like they all want to be my big brother or something.

At 61, I seem to be awfully attractive to the 75+ set. It's like they all want to be my big brother or something.

Yep, 61 is young to a 75+ geezer! Actually, if you were a few years younger, you would qualify as a daughter to a 75 year old geezer.

Imoldernu, your post hit home for us. We both turn 62 next month, and have plans to snowbird to SE Florida and spend summers between our PA home and our Jersey Shore house. Grandkids on each coast will also be on our schedule for the remaining good years. However, parental obligations for DW’s mother, step-mother and father are also here or on the horizon and may shoot down some snowbirding plans. Sadly, out of five siblings, only one other has stepped up to help, and her special needs son is having a kidney transplant this year. She has already asked for help with their mother, and they are all in Tampa.
While enjoying retirement, we both have health issues to deal with too. DW is the oldest of her siblings and the only financially sound one. We’re just taking a day at a time, hoping to enjoy our plans, but wanting her parents to be well cared for. Funny thing, her parents all retired at 55 on a shoestring and enjoyed a nice long retirement until the mother and step-mother began suffering from dementia. We retired early with sufficient funds and are taking care of her parents, all without any long term care insurance. You never know what life will bring your way, no matter how well you plan.

What do you expect to be doing, and where do you expect to live in the later years... your call, but for me, 80+.

Retirement means (meant) freedom for all of us. The retirement dream is different for each of us... travel, personal freedom from responsibility, a time to explore those things that we never had time for, a time to build... a home, a lifestyle, a dream. A phase of life... maybe at 65, maybe at 70, maybe at 75, or 80, or even 85...

For this intent, the later years are those beyond the exploratory, the excitement of "new"... beyond the establishment of that pattern of comfort and enjoyment. It's after you've settled in. It's that time in the life-span, when "things" become different. It's the slow-down... when we spend more time sleeping... when we don't travel as much... when we don't have the desire to re-furnish the house, to buy a new car, to see the latest movie or to go the the concerts. A time when it's kind of nice to just sit at home for an evening, rather than going out to eat, or to a social function.

Or... maybe this doesn't describe you at all, and you'l be traveling world wide when you are in your 90's. We know a number of 90+ retirees who still spend the winter in Florida or go on sea cruises.

As of today, you probably don't know or think of what you'll be doing between ten and forty years in the future, but looking far ahead can be an interesting exercise both for mental and practical purposes. Maybe a rethinking of priorities... like getting those big dream plans into place earlier, just in case.

Where will you live? "I'll live in my house forever!" "Really?" The oldest guy (gal) on the block? "My friends and neighbors are part of my life!"...
Until...? "Just me and my DW/DH!" ... Hope.

Have you outlined your interests? Things to do, to visit, to read, build, create, collect, or learn about... or... just a time to let the brain go blank and to recover from those responsibilities that you carried for so many years.

The crystal ball... Health! Not part of the plan, except as it's part of the timeline... important to setting priorities. Not an obsession, but a reality check to decide when to get your pilot's license or to take that bike tour in Italy.

Most of us have some kind of a plan for Early Retirement, What do you think about "the later years"? Face the situation as it unfolds? Accelerate plans to fulfill the ER dreams? Go with the flow? Every moment could be the last?
..........................................................................................................
For jeanie and me....

The move to the CCRC was the best... 2004 to 2013.. 6 and 6 snowbirds in Il and FL... A slide into the older person's society, while we still lived in the very social 55+ community. We're comfortable in our Liberty Village CCRC villa... with friends, and the slower lifestyle. Integrated into the local community to enjoy the facilities, shopping and the activities offered by a small town. We missed some of the things we might have enjoyed... cruises or international travel trips, but we never noticed that.

So, some of the realities of the later years. Energy levels lower. Few "spur of the moment" decisions.... store, walk, exercise, visiting with friends. Car rides, for the sake of riding. Life is pretty much scheduled on the refrigerator calendar: trash day, bridge, memories meeting, Aldi's, Walmart, Doctors visit, pay bill for " ", Gary's visit, Rileys' birthday, make salad for pot luck', etc, etc...

Lot's of "stuff" in the house... Now "standardizing" where things go, where they stay... organized refrigerator, pantry, paperwork, files, to do list.
Yes... the kinds of things we all do, but more important now, as memories scramble, and in my case, the onset of dementia. Standard and safe... two words that have become evermore important.

The individual... we have replaced many of our old group activities, with personalized interests ... going over old photo's the CD music collection, college yearbooks, and the 1991 address list of our FL Mfg home community.
Watching Turner Classic Movies, contacting the oldest living friends by via Email... we walk the mall... (when the spirit moves), and occasionally do 20 minutes on the stationary bike... Mebbe once a week... :(

What we don't do... (seems small, but noteworthy) less decorating, re-doing living room, bath, bedroom etc... same old curtains, carpeting, spreads, towels. So far, continued effort to vacuum, wash, scrub, sweep, dust, and to do the spring/fall reordering of the closets... Especially attentive to all sanitary conditions.

Interesting aside... though we are in a fairly large free-standing home (villa) community, 79 separate homes, there are very few social events... dinners, cards etc., where residents gather in the houses. almost all social events are held at the main apartment buildings of the dining room. Less stress for hosting in one's own home.

Another post with too many words, but a bit of venting about the later years.
We see them as being quite different, even though the change comes gradually. We've definitely slowed down... a lot.... It has not been unpleasant. Looking back, nothing we would change. Just normal aging, but definitely a very different part of the retirement years. Now, standing back a few feet and looking at the past 30 retirement years, the later years are much different than they were in 1989.

You have a beautiful writing style and I very much enjoy your musings. Thank you.

imoldernu: we are practically neighbors if you reside in Peru, IL. We live about 40 miles west of there. I have an aunt that currently resides in Peru's Liberty Village. She really seems to love her apartment.

We are in our lower 60's and some days doing-much-of-nothing is pleasantly appealing after working "9-5" for so many years. But then on other days, we are busy mowing, cutting wood, shopping, or going for brisk walks. Who knows what we will be like 20+ years from now. We are determined to get some well deserved travel in during the next 10 years. After seeing all 4 of our parents develop physical problems during their 80's, we know that it can happen.

Just trying to make the most of today, and the next day, and the next! Enjoyed your post.

If I make it to 80 and beyond, I hope to be living in my current home. Perfect for older people. A smallish patio home with no stairs other than to the attic. Also right on the golf course. There is an 88 year old man who still plays at my club so maybe I can too. ;) He's amazing, moves fast and plays fast. Hits it a respectable distance for his age and plays 5 days a week.

Who knows what the future brings. I try to not to worry about it......

At one point 'stuff' ceases to become a pleasure and morphs into a burden.

I agree. I frequent another Board, on Personal Finance, and just a few days ago one person mentioned that when she needs to cut back she stays away from department store Web sites. I don't get it. To me, a "shopping spree" consists of one of something- one dress, one shirt, one pair of shoes. I buy stuff for the house only to replace something that breaks and IF it needs replacing. The house is uncluttered without looking too bare (and is easier to clean) and my closets and storage areas are not overflowing. DH and I went through de-cluttering when we downsized 3 years ago and it was a good exercise.

One of my dad’s favorite sayings comes to mind when us kids were struggling with a difficult choice but knew deep down what we had to do ....”well, no time like the present”.

The best thing we’ve realized in getting older is that stuff is just stuff, and apparently you really can’t take it with you so enjoy what you have, however you choose.
I agree.

If an item gives us pleasure, we buy it. We've never been burdened with stuff; if it no longer suits our purpose, we sell or give it away.

If we live to be 80 and passions have faded, we'll be able to say, 'Remember when?' with a smile. :)

Last edited:
Mars - if they’ll take old geezers.
Elon Musk estimates it’ll take a million colonists to bring ticket prices down to only $200,000. High probability of dying during the early trips. They’ll need cannon, er, rocket fodder.

*** High probability of dying during the early trips. ***

is that the prospective colonists or the project finances

many will have died waiting for the $200,000 seats

I've never really planned my life very well, and at this point, don't intend to plan for any changes due to aging. I love the house that I'm in now and hope to live here as long as it's practical. I realize that I'll probably have to pay someone to mow the lawn eventually.

I will keep doing everything I'm doing now, and if I get to a point where I can't, then I'll make some changes.

My hope is to be this guy when I grow up:
https://www.outsideonline.com/2321616/running-highest-peak-east-97

Last edited:
I've never really planned my life very well, and at this point, don't intend to plan for any changes due to aging. I love the house that I'm in now and hope to live here as long as it's practical. I realize that I'll probably have to pay someone to mow the lawn eventually.

I will keep doing everything I'm doing now, and if I get to a point where I can't, then I'll make some changes.

My hope is to be this guy when I grow up:
https://www.outsideonline.com/2321616/running-highest-peak-east-97

i hardly ever planned anything in my life until 2010 in 2016 those unplanned changes are fighting back .

since i can't stay at home for the next few years the grass will grow and the poisonous snakes will have shelter ... nature is doing what in can to protect my stuff .

' big mumma ' is 8 ft long and her her boyfriends are You tuhe stars

CCRC worked out well for my grandparents...but not until the third CCRC they tried, back in their (and my) hometown.

She was 75, he 85 when they moved back home. He lasted another decade, she two.

She ended up having to take care of him full-time for the last 5 years of his life, & then lost a daughter (my mother) a few years later.

Still, it was great having them near...probably the only silver lining of my mom's illness was that my family (including my kids) ended up having a closer relationship with my grandmother than we would have otherwise.

' big mumma ' is 8 ft long

Circa 1962 I worked up on the Ord River Project in Kununurra - was doing some sandblasting, (noisy work), happened to glance over to my right and there's a guy whacking a taipan, (which was heading right for me), with a big iron bar.

If I'd known it was coming I could've whacked it with pressurized sand.

Interesting thread. DH and I are both in our late 50’s and ER’d almost 2 years ago. We are both in good health and active now but recognize this will change over time. We’re prioritizing SCUBA trips and other physically demanding activities now. When we’re ready to slow down, we’ll shift into taking more cruises.

We live in a 1-story condo on the beach with a beautiful view of the ocean, so don’t intend to move. There is a bus stop right outside the front door of our building if we ever get to the point where we can’t drive.

Barring any serious health issues, most people we know seem to slow down in their mid-70’s, although we do know a few people who are still active travelers well into their 80’s. Time will tell.

Now, standing back a few feet and looking at the past 30 retirement years, the later years are much different than they were in 1989.

Thanks for sharing your reflections. I have spent a lot of time reading your engrossing and thought-provoking posts. At age 52, I am thinking hard about what the next 30 Years will be like. Many transitions for sure. I hope when I am your age to be able to reflect back with as much insight as you have. I hope to read more from you soon.

Coming back to offer links to the kind of CCRC where we live. You won't be moving here, so I don't think this is should be construed as a solicitation, but rather a matter of explaining what a full service CCRC can offer.

Many people who are thinking about the later years are limited to seeing the facilities in their area... separate for nursing homes, assisted living, independent living or perhaps alzheimer care. While full service CCRC's are on the increase, knowing what they offer can help in decision making, later on.

This link is to the Villas... the separate free standing homes, part of the greater community. We have 79 homes in our CCRC. It's where we live today. BTW, if you look at the video, the home shown is almost identical to ours.

https://simplythefinest.net/villas.php

Here's a link to services offered in our CCRC.

https://libertyvillageofperu.com/services.htm

It may take a little bit of adjusting to get used to seeing groups of us white haired oldsters... (can't hardly believe I'm one of them) but remember that you might be one too, when it comes time to make the move.

In any case... some thoughts on the money part of this...

1. Villas... individual homes. Sell for about +- $175K... No worry about selling when the time comes... Most homes are sold before they get to market. In our CCRC, owning a villa guarantees first access to any other part of the community, as well as admission to all central activities... picnics, games, free travel to stores, and outside events. Also full use of the fitness center. HOA fee, all lawn care and exterior services (paint, minor ext. repair etc.) $150/mo. Taxes $2500.

2. Independent apartment living. Again, full access to all events and facilities. Two full meals/day in dining room, plus breakfast self serve. Full activity schedule daily... bingo, many card games, free coffee shop, hair dresser shop, library, meeting rooms and outside entertainment. Last cost I remember was $2000/mo for one person, and an extra $500 for a second person. this may be more now... so... somewhere around $30K to $35K /yr. for 2 persons. As far as I can see no other expenses..

3. Assisted living about $40K./yr.

4. Bounce Back.. (temporary rehab) $$$ dependent on care and other needed services.

5. Nursing home.. The last I heard the price was between 60K and $65K/yr.
This may vary more depending on location.

I hope this gives at least a broad overview of the lifestyle and the costs for at least one full service CCRC.

Caveat... the current costs (except for the villas) are my best estimate, and may vary somewhat.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I am 71 so in my later years .I do not feel old especially mentally . Physically after several months of rehab after an illness I am able to climb 20 flights of stairs and do an hour of straight aerobics daily . I try not to dress or act old . We are still living in a large house . I hate the thought of packing and moving but it is becoming more likely that we will have to in the next year or so . Still traveling but paying more for convenience and avoiding remote travel due to health concerns . As someone else mentioned I do have those "That ship has sailed " moments . All in all life is good .

Back
Top Bottom