ACA and living in two states

Ohio Tealady

Dryer sheet wannabe
Looking to retire and be a snow bird in central Florida for the winter and return to north central Ohio the rest of the year. I would qualify for a subsidy. The Ohio plan would meet my needs but is only regional. I understand that there is a multi state plan available thru Blue Cross - I'm still investigating this.

Wondering what others do when they live part of the year in two states but the insurance plans under ACA only cover one state?

Ohio Tealady

We live in PA and winter in southeast FL. We went with my old employer’s retiree healthcare plan because my PA zip code doesn’t offer any plans we can use both places. It’s expensive, but worth it IMO. We would not have qualified for a subsidy anyway.

We live in PA and winter in southeast FL. We went with my old employer’s retiree healthcare plan because my PA zip code doesn’t offer any plans we can use both places. It’s expensive, but worth it IMO. We would not have qualified for a subsidy anyway.

Glad you have the option of employer based retirement healthcare. Unfortunately I do not have that option.

Snow Birds - how do you deal with ACA insurance plans when you are living in different states?

Go to healthsherpa.com to search for available plans. You might consider looking at the Florida plans too.

Some Florida Blue plans are connected to the BlueCard national provider network. Consider establishing residency in Florida and sunbirding(?) in OH. Also, no state income tax in FL.

Here is an older thread on the subject: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/aca-plan-for-snowbirds-83546.html

Florida BCBS has three plans available. An HMO, a limited network plan (Blue Select) and a broad network plan (Blue Options). The broad network is their BlueCard, which is the same used across the country for other group plans.

Each of these is offered with many different combinations of cost sharing, so it appears as 60 or so offerings, but it is really 3 plans.

The EPO is really a PPO that has an EPO pediatric dental component. For adult medical care it is all PPO. The liomited network plan seems to use an approach BCBS is using elsewhere. They have a restricted local network in the regioin where the plan is offered, but still access a broader national network away from home.

Florida Blue has a tool you can use to gauge the provider network, here https://providersearch.floridablue.com/providersearch/pub/index.htm .

Back
Top Bottom