Adrian Peterson & disciplining children

I always liked the rule "never spank when you are angry". If you can leave the emotion out of it and just apply a spanking as pure discipline, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. No anger equals no damage.

DD has said many times she'd rather have been spanked than "talked to".

We were never hit or threatened to be hit as kids, and I was a handful compared to my siblings. My punishments included being grounded, no TV, or things taken away from me. I remember my Dad appearing out of nowhere and taking my bike away for a week when I rode out of the neighbors driveway onto the street without looking. We also all knew that when a punishment was given out there was no reprieve. If Adrian Peterson had "whooped" his dog like that, he would be charged with animal cruelty. If he did that to an adult he would be charged with assault. But because he did it to a defenseless 4 year old that is his son, he and other people defend it as his parental right. I cringe when I think of that little boy receiving defensive wounds on his hands trying to fend off that beating from the man that is supposed to love him. I have friends that hit their kids when they were young, always in a state of anger, and justified it as teaching them a lesson. I am thankful my parents chose to teach us a more valuable lesson, actions have consequences, but under no circumstances EVER should anyone, especially a child, have to fear being hurt on purpose by someone who is supposed to love and protect them.

Back
Top Bottom