Adult Fluoride Treatment

SteveL

Recycles dryer sheets
The other day I had a visit to the dentist for an exam and cleaning. The hygienist was pushing an extra cost fluoride treatment. I said no and went home to research this on the web. Nothing conclusive. We have fluoride in our water and toothpaste. I can't see the need for more. Has anyone heard about this? Impression, reaction?

I always turn it down and have turned it down for our kids and we rarely have any cavities.

After having 4 cavities last year, I googled the relationship between fluoride and caries. With so much money at stake for dental fillings for adults worldwide, I was interested to find this statement- "Few studies evaluating the effectiveness of fluoride toothpaste, gel, rinse, and varnish among adult populations are available". Here's a comprehensive statement from the ADA on fluoride treatments. Good luck!

Home fluoride treatments

I suffer from ongoing tooth decay because of radiation treatments. Fluoride treatments are common among our community. I have fitted trays in which I place a fluoride gel before my daily shower. The average person may not benefit from fluoride treatment but there is a percentage of folks with dry mouth and lack of saliva which do benefit. I just wish it came in the chocolate or bubble gum flavors!

Ratface, welcome back! haven't heard from you in a long time.

Amethyst

Back
Top Bottom