Air Purifiers

For anyone who has read this entire thread and may be interested - I've lived with my new air purifier for two weeks now and can say unequivocally that it does, in fact, help a great deal with the dust in our home. Even my wife, who is generally a sceptic, commented on it.

Thanks for the update. You got a Winex brand didn't you?

Yes. Winix 5500-2. 13,334 reviews, rated 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Here's a link to it: https://www.amazon.com/Winix-5500-2-Purifier-PlasmaWave-Reducing/dp/B01D8DAYII

That looks to have a regular bladed circular fan. I recommend units like the Coway (mentioned above) because a squirrel cage fan moves more air, more quietly and with less electricity. On low speeds they are almost silent and the quality of the sound is more pleasant than a bladed circular fan because all the blades of a squirrel cage fan are moving at the same speed while the tips of a circular fan are travelling at a much higher velocity which can make for less pleasant sounds.

While the Coway is marginally more expensive upfront it will probably save money over the life of the unit in lower filter replacement costs. Also, a bit less energy consumption.

I'm a "fan" (pun intended) of good engineering, design and functionality and I must say, I'm super impressed with the Coway. I bought two for our house and liked them so much I bought one for our ski cabin. Air quality has improved noticeably and I love the barely audible sound on low and medium and the pleasantness of the sound on High. It can really move a lot of air on high.

My air cleaner still changes settings all by itself. My next one will have clicky buttons, not touch switches. Meanwhile, I'm probably going to buy a different surge protector in case that's a factor. One with a metal case and "EMI/RFI noise attenuation."

For anyone who has read this entire thread and may be interested - I've lived with my new air purifier for two weeks now and can say unequivocally that it does, in fact, help a great deal with the dust in our home. Even my wife, who is generally a sceptic, commented on it.

That's great! I noticed less dust with ours, also. Definitely helps with allergies.

Back
Top Bottom