AirTag Tracking

We track our luggage when we travel, along with hiding one on the boat trailer. I also track my elderly mother, mentioned in the other thread.

I just showed my wife "Find My" and got setting and info on phones in order this morning. I decided to go hiking and told her see if she could use "Find My" and see if it works for her. I told her to wait about an half hour and see what it shows.

So, when I got to where I wanted to go hiking, I called her and said to try it and she. She said I already did. You went to the gas station, and I see your progress and now where you are at. LOL

I told her from now on, you will know when I'm at my girlfriend's house. Lol She said, that is right.

You just blew your chance to tell her you were at the Senior Center all afternoon. Oh well......

I just showed my wife "Find My" and got setting and info on phones in order this morning.

I told her from now on, you will know when I'm at my girlfriend's house. Lol She said, that is right.

I misread your post. Thought she said " that is alright." :LOL:

Not a problem. Just turn your phone off on the way over there and say that the cell signal dropped out on you. :LOL:

But seriously, be aware that it will only work if you have a signal, since there is no other way for your phone to communicate with the cloud to let folks know where you are. Might be an issue where you live.

True!!!
Can be a hit miss here or nothing at all for signal.

I'll have to remember to turn phone off when I want to be lost!!! Lol

for tracking people we just 'share location' with each other on google maps. My sister shares with me (she's single and wants someone to know where she is if she goes missing.) My kids share with me, so does my husband. I share with all of them.

It's handy. When younger son was on the train coming down for spring break I could see where he was and knew when it was time to drive to the train station. He and his girlfriend share location also - and he was tracking her when she was driving down her yesterday.

It doesn't work when my husband decides he doesn't want to be bothered and turns off his phone. LOL

be aware that it will only work if you have a signal, since there is no other way for your phone to communicate with the cloud to let folks know where you are. Might be an issue where you live.

On the same topic, I might mention that about four years ago I bought a Garmin InReach Explorer + for the very occasional times I go out of reach of cellular service. It works remarkably well. Most recently, I spent two weeks down in the bottom of the Grand Canyon last year, and was able to maintain contact with my wife every day, despite never having any sort of cell signal down there. I just keep the account suspended, and activate it for a month at a time whenever I need to. Good for peace of mind.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 2.46.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 2.46.48 PM.png
    479.2 KB · Views: 26
[I I just bought one to use on my current trip but didn’t have time to set it up before leaving. As luck would have it, my bag got delayed for 5 days. It would’ve been good peace of mind to at least know where it was during that time. Now it’s set up and in my bag, ready for the return trip! [/I]

Yep I have an AirTag hidden in our suitcase, one on my jeep keys, one on my truck keys, and one in DW's purse. They work great. I generally use the ones on the keys to find my keys. Hasn't happened lately, so I may just hide them in the vehicles. And the suitcase one is great - I track our luggage just to make sure it isn't lost. Same with DW's purse AirTag.

Just saw on the local news where a lady had her car stolen. She had an AirTag in it and they tracked it and retrieved her car in Chicago 60 miles away.
Was wondering which is better. The apple Airtag or the tile?

When they first came out, I gave each of the 4 kids and DW one at Christmas. Have purchased more since. All of the family's dogs and cats have one on their collars. They go on keys, in cars, and luggage. I liked them much better than the Tile which I originally had - the original Tile's battery was not replaceable and potential trackers seem many less.

Was wondering which is better. The apple Airtag or the tile?

If you are already in the apple ecosystem, I'd think the airtag would be the way to go. Even though Tile was the first mover, there appear to be many more apple airtag users, which helps find lost bags/dogs/kids/parents, etc.

For those of us not in the apple ecosystem, Tile combined with tracki (or similar cellular check-in device/service) is the best approach, IN MY OPINION. :LOL:

Yes, friends and family can track your cell phone or air tag if set up that way. Or just give someone one of your AirTags

My problem is keeping my iPhone charged. Last year on new 5 hr hike/climb, my phone went dead. Probably due to AllTrails app running and the constant link to my Apple Watch. Maybe due in part to monitoring AirTags also. My phone rarely makes it through the day without needing to be charged.

I usually navigate the hike route and route back to my vehicle using the phone. But with the phone dead, it got interesting. Luckily I had a paper map.

You could carry a power bank, they are small.
Years ago, we were in Lisbon and our friend who was using her phone to do the Rick Steve's tour for us, had her phone go dead.
She was pretty happy I had a power bank and she could charge up her phone while using it, so we could all continue our adventure.

Gosh, I never have trouble with my iPhone running out of charge during the day. Makes me think there is a problem with your iPhone. If I have a busy day ahead when traveling I’ll make sure to charge it overnight. It talking to my watch doesn’t seem to cause any problem with battery drain at all. Neither with AirTags. I’ll often have days at home where it’s still 70-80%+ at night. Finally we always were able to charge it in our vehicle but rarely needed.

If your looking after someone that has a phone and has a memory care issue life360 is an easy option. As a younger family we use it with both our children. It let's me know when they get to school and to the park etc. I have a dear friend and it has helped twice to recover her from an enexpected adventure.

If your looking after someone that has a phone and has a memory care issue life360 is an easy option. As a younger family we use it with both our children. It let's me know when they get to school and to the park etc. I have a dear friend and it has helped twice to recover her from an enexpected adventure.
My wife and I have been using Life360 for a few years now for our safety.
We are the only ones who can track the other. I want her to know where I am when on the bike or traveling alone in case there is a medical emergency. The same applies to her since she has had issues in the past that required medical attention.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom