All I knew was it was loud

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Summer is nearly upon us and it brings back a memory of our first summer here.

It sounded like it was coming from the pool area. We had heard it the last few nights and all I knew was it was loud and had a strangeness to it. Having moved from Queens on Long Island my experience with outdoor critters was limited. I had already experience the terrifying cries of a fox in the spring. I thought of banshees wailing comes to mind. This was different and I had no idea what was making that noise. Even with my flashlight It was pretty dark back there and I approached with due caution -TV has us convinced that bad noises come from bad things. I must tell you if I was nervous the Mrs was terrified. She admits to be a coward when it come to bugs, snakes and the like. So she stayed back and I was on my own. When I got closer the sound stopped- I thought that’s not good. This continued for a while - I’d approach and all would go silent. Finally after much of this cat and mouse game I discovered that the loud critter was a small tree frog. Yes all of 2 inches long- did I ever mention what a ‘he man’ I am?

I hope you got a laugh out of my little remembrance.

Last edited:
I used to live near a pond in the midwest. Once a year, there was a certain frog species (locals called them "growler frogs" though I can not confirm that.) which would mate in the shallows of the pond. The din these hundreds of frogs created was almost deafening. IIRC the "festivities" lasted for 2 or 3 days. Sleeping with windows open was not possible (and we had no AC.) Oh, the good old days of life in the country. YMMV

DW and I both grew up in crowded cities. Now that we have been living in suburban/rural areas for a while, we will take the nightly noises from local critters over the sirens, fights, glass breaking, and gunshot noises we grew up with. :)

About 12 years ago we took a family vacation and stayed in Manhattan for the Thanksgiving holiday. Our hotel was in the "Hell's Kitchen" area. Our kids, who were all born in quiet suburban or rural areas, had trouble sleeping at night. They were not used to all of the street noises, while DW and I slept like babies. :)

If you think frogs are loud, wait till the bears want to get frisky.

One of those tree frogs jumped on my wrist when I was getting a hose off the reel. You could not believe how well I mimicked a young girl. I ran halfway across the yard screaming as if Satan had grabbed me.

Last edited:
If you think frogs are loud..... You could not believe how well I mimicked a young girl. I ran halfway across the yard screaming as if Satan had grabbed me.

Thank you for a great belly laugh...

We have hundreds of these grey tree frogs that come out each spring in neighbor's yard. They have a pool that is not cared for, as well as a lot of bushes and trees. The noise is extremely annoying when the weather gets warmer. It's also a signal for us to call the county to come out and treat the stagnant water that breeds dinner for the frogs.

This one was hiding under our grille cover. After the grille cooled off, he went into the grille area. Wife covered the grille and frog was gone before I cooked salmon a few days later...

I've often thought of tossing a snake or two over the fence to take care of business.

Attachments

• IMG_20200515_170010.jpg
    IMG_20200515_170010.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom